Players Who Opted Out Could Be Draft Day Gems

If we are shrewd and demand a King’s Ransom for our 4th overall pick, this could be a great year to finally trade down.  There are a bevy of players whose value has diminished due to opting out.  If we could move down to 15th or so while adding a 2nd, 3rd and 2022 1st, we could walk away with some special players.  Here are just a few of the guys I think have Pro Bowl talent but are currently projected Round 3 or later

Jaylen Twyman: this one is a mystery.  Dude opted out and should be a top 12 pick IMO.  He is a Grady Jarrett clone.  At 295 lbs, the DT from Pitt recorded 11 sacks , 13 TFL and countless pressures from the DT spot his one year as a starter.  Has received comps to Aaron Donald.  I won’t go there, but dude is special.  Currently 3rd round projection.  I’d gladly use our 2nd on him.  Him and Grady...Oh my

Marvin Wilson - FSU: this 320 lbs beast was labeled a top 10 pick a year ago for the 2021 NFL draft.  FSU’s season was a disaster and Wilson’s year was cut short.  I see him now projected 4th round but the former #1 high school recruit in America still possesses unheard of athleticism for a man so big.  Just needs stability and quality NFL coaching.  Sky is the limit for him.  He is one of three FSU players on my list.  Something has tainted the water in Tallahassee...lol.

Big #21 was a pressure machine on the interior last year

Temorrion Terry - FSU: another mystery here.  Heading into his Junior year, the 6’4 speedster tore up the ACC.  In 25 games he racked up 1,900 yards and 17 TD’s.  He opted out early this year and is projected 5th round or later.  Terry has the size/speed combo and great hands that could lead to a bright NFL future

• Hamsah Nasirildeen - FSU: when you watch Hamsah, I see Isaiah Simmons.  Injuries cut short his season, but this is another 1st round talent likely to be available in the 3rd

Paris Ford: he was in the conversation for being taken in the 1st round but decided to opt out.  His projection is now 3rd or later and he is an absolute steal there.  Still the best safety this cycle IMO

Jamie Newman - Wake Forest: I admit to being a bit down on him for opting out on UGA, but that’s silly on my part.  He was projected as a possible first round quarterback before he decided to opt out. He is now projected in the fifth round or later and could be a steal very savvy organization.  He is a big, elusive quarterback with a big arm and great accuracy over the top

Kenneth Gainwell: his unique talent as both a runner and receiver make him ideal for today’s NFL.  He is an elusive back who would excel in an Arthur Smith mid zone scheme.

Any back who has a three week run like this deserves attention: 73 touches for 750 total yards 

Week 5: 209 yards rushing, 42 yards receiving

Week 6: 106 yards rushing, 99 yards receiving

Week 7: 104 yards rushing, 203 yards receiving

20 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If we are shrewd and demand a King’s Ransom for our 4th overall pick, this could be a great year to finally trade down.  There are a bevy of players whose value has diminished due to opting out.  If we could move down to 15th or so while adding a 2nd, 3rd and 2022 1st, we could walk away with some special players.  Here are just a few of the guys I think have Pro Bowl talent but are currently projected Round 3 or later

• Jaylen Twyman: this one is a mystery.  Dude opted out and should be a top 12 pick IMO.  He is a Grady Jarrett clone.  At 295 lbs, the DT from Pitt recorded 11 sacks , 13 TFL and countless pressures from the DT spot his one year as a starter.  Has received comps to Aaron Donald.  I won’t go there, but dude is special.  Currently 3rd round projection.  I’d gladly use our 2nd on him.  Him and Grady...Oh my

• Marvin Wilson - FSU: this 320 lbs beast was labeled a top 10 pick a year ago for the 2021 NFL draft.  FSU’s season was a disaster and Wilson’s year was cut short.  I see him now projected 4th round but the former #1 high school recruit in America still possesses unheard of athleticism for a man so big.  Just needs stability and quality NFL coaching.  Sky is the limit for him.  He is one of three FSU players on my list.  Something has tainted the water in Tallahassee...lol.

• Temorrion Terry - FSU: another mystery here.  Heading into his Junior year, the 6’4 speedster tore up the ACC.  In 25 games he racked up 1,900 yards and 17 TD’s.  He opted out early this year and is projected 5th round or later.  Terry has the size/speed combo and great hands that could lead to a bright NFL future

• Hamsah Nasirildeen - FSU: when you watch Hamsah, I see Isaiah Simmons.  Injuries cut short his season, but this is another 1st round talent likely to be available in the 3rd

• Paris Ford: he was in the conversation for being taken in the 1st round but decided to opt out.  His projection is now 3rd or later and he is an absolute steal there.  Still the best safety this cycle IMO

Ill continue to add and feel free to add guys you think will slide in the draft

Not sure either of em would make an impact on the 2021 NFL season.

Starting to think we need to trade picks for established NFL players.

Get beasts that can play on day one. Trading team eats the dead money.

Kinda like a second for five as beatin years of Tony Gonzalez type trade.

14 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

• Jamie Newman - Wake Forest: I admit to being a bit down on him for opting out on UGA, but that’s silly on my part.  He was projected as a possible first round quarterback before he decided to opt out. He is now projected in the fifth round or later and could be a steal very savvy organization

i think i saw him ranked as high as qb4/5 in the summer, could be an absolute steal for somebody.

30 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

especially without the traditional combine, there could be some serious diamonds in the rough this year

Agreed...I think this year sets up great for a team that scouts extremely well.  Fontenot needs to bring a few guys over from NO.  A guy like Ruston Webster coming back to ATL would be nice

8 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Jaylen Twyman: this one is a mystery.  Dude opted out and should be a top 12 pick IMO.  He is a Grady Jarrett clone.  At 295 lbs, the DT from Pitt recorded 11 sacks , 13 TFL and countless pressures from the DT spot his one year as a starter.  Has received comps to Aaron Donald.  I won’t go there, but dude is special.  Currently 3rd round projection.  I’d gladly use our 2nd on him.  Him and Grady...Oh my

Marvin Wilson - FSU: this 320 lbs beast was labeled a top 10 pick a year ago for the 2021 NFL draft.  FSU’s season was a disaster and Wilson’s year was cut short.  I see him now projected 4th round but the former #1 high school recruit in America still possesses unheard of athleticism for a man so big.  Just needs stability and quality NFL coaching.  Sky is the limit for him.  He is one of three FSU players on my list.  Something has tainted the water in Tallahassee...lol.

Temorrion Terry - FSU: another mystery here.  Heading into his Junior year, the 6’4 speedster tore up the ACC.  In 25 games he racked up 1,900 yards and 17 TD’s.  He opted out early this year and is projected 5th round or later.  Terry has the size/speed combo and great hands that could lead to a bright NFL future

Paris Ford: he was in the conversation for being taken in the 1st round but decided to opt out.  His projection is now 3rd or later and he is an absolute steal there.  Still the best safety this cycle IMO

Jamie Newman - Wake Forest: I admit to being a bit down on him for opting out on UGA, but that’s silly on my part.  He was projected as a possible first round quarterback before he decided to opt out. He is now projected in the fifth round or later and could be a steal very savvy organization.  He is a big, elusive quarterback with a big arm and great accuracy over the top

Kenneth Gainwell: his unique talent as both a runner and receiver make him ideal for today’s NFL.  He is an elusive back who would excel in an Arthur Smith mid zone scheme.

Any back who has a three week run like this deserves attention: 73 touches for 750 total yards 

Week 5: 209 yards rushing, 42 yards receiving

Week 6: 106 yards rushing, 99 yards receiving

Week 7: 104 yards rushing, 203 yards receiving

Funny enough, in Madden 21, I drafted both Ford and Nasirildeen in my first offseason. Both are beasts. Lol 

This is why I say trade down and get a lot of picks. The draft this year is going to be a dang mess. This might be the one year where quantity over quality rules the day. We haven't seen a lot of these players in a really long time. Its going to be a scouting nightmare.

This is going to be one of the most surprising drafts in a while. You have so many factors that play into that: shorter season, players sitting out, no combine, etc.

Mock drafts are going to be useless this year. You are going to see guys mocked in the 1st round drop to the third round and vice versa. Guys will be mocked to the mid rounds and end up going in the 1st round.

9 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

This is why I say trade down and get a lot of picks. The draft this year is going to be a dang mess. This might be the one year where quantity over quality rules the day. We haven't seen a lot of these players in a really long time. Its going to be a scouting nightmare.

Was just about to say I'd hate to be a scout right now...

I'm definitely with the trade back

Good post.

Combining opt outs with positional value could land a ton of starters.  Especially were we able to trade back from the 4th spot.

There will be good RB and WR starters in the 3rd round.  Plan to take those there.  Can get good DT's in the 2nd and 3rd as well.  If we traded back and just picked up an extra 2nd and 3rd, that could set us up to take CB, DE in rounds 1 and 2 rounds, and DT, RB, WR in rounds 2 and 3.  That still leaves LG and S as major needs, but is just an example.

I hope when they say they're choosing BPA, they keep positional value and draft depth in there (If there are a ton of good WRs in the 3rd, don't take one in the 1st if he's slightly better than say an Edge guy...especially if there are none you like after the 1st round).

Edit:  We could well go offense early to get it back on track, which isn't a horrible idea (OG, TE, RB) but the same concepts apply.  With a minor tradeback we could do a good combo of both.

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Jamie Newman is a 1st round QB like Jake Fromm was a 1st round QB - only on a piece of paper by a hack journalist.   good grief.

Thank you.  The Fromm hype was insane where I live.  I just never saw what everyone else saw.  The kid from Gray played rings around him the night I watched him.