• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like him, but man do I hate to take a CB that high. 

You're terribly wrong.

That is beyond stupid. Those players are tougher than you could ever hope to be. They put their football career on hold knowing it could impact they’re draft stock because they didn’t want to risk spr

21 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

That is beyond stupid. Those players are tougher than you could ever hope to be. They put their football career on hold knowing it could impact they’re draft stock because they didn’t want to risk spreading the virus anymore than it already has. Those players have more character in their pinky than you will ever obtain in your entire life.

You know bro, this is what gets me too. People always act like this about these athletes. Even before COVID, people would talk down on the guys for not wanting to participate in a bowl game. If these guys get hurt, there are no promises. 

8 hours ago, Fernando C. said:

We need to draft him, get a stud FS in FA.... and our defense all of a sudden becomes top 15..

Yeah our DL needs players but we can get Coverage Sacks..

Get him at 4 and call it a day...

Not happenin'... Simply not enough of an impact at #4.  If we could trade down for an extra high pick, I would do it. But it wouldn't be for Surtain. It would be for Lance. 

Edited by joeyg2033

This is where TATF "logic" makes me LOL.

Anyone who advocates that the Falcons pick a QB at #4 gets lectured on how "top 5 QBs don't help their teams" and "teams that pick a QB that high don't win Super Bowls."

Here are the CBs picked in the top 5 this century:

Lions picked Okudah 2020, went 5-11, fired their HC. To be fair, their QB was a #1 pick (see my conclusion below).

Browns picked Denzel Ward #4 in 2018. But they picked Baker Mayfield #1, so any success Cleveland has had since then can't be attached to Ward without also refuting the criticism of picking a QB that high. 

Jacksonville picked Jalen Ramsey #4 in 2016. Since then, one winning season, they finished 1-15 and "earned" the #1 pick this year, which everyone agrees will need to be Lawrence, a QB. Nope, pointing out that Ramsey was traded to the Rams mid-season in 2019 and LA played in the Super Bowl doesn't help. The team that drafted him didn't have success (see my conclusion below). 

Patrick Peterson was picked #5 by Arizona in 2011. He's the BEST example of a top-5 CB in terms of helping his team win games. Since 2011, Arizona has had 3 winning seasons, 0 playoff wins. In 2019, they used their #1 pick to select Kyler Murray, a QB.

Dallas picked Terence Newman #5 in 2003. Obviously no SBs for the Cowboys since then. 0-3 in the playoffs. 

The Chargers picked Quentin Jammer #4 in 2002. He played 12 seasons. But like Ward and the Browns, the problem with recognizing Chargers' success is their QB for all but two of those years was also a top 5 pick, Philip Rivers. fwiw, they missed the playoffs the two years they had Jammer, before drafting Rivers. 

Conclusion:

Teams that pick in the top 5 are usually not very good franchises. Blaming their lack of success on having "wasted a top 5 pick on a QB when Tom Brady was picked in the 6th round" is as silly as saying picking a CB in the top 5 is bad because teams that pick CBs that high don't succeed.

My guess is the same would be true for LBs, DEs, etc. Bad teams tend to stay around bad to mediocre (notice that how many teams listed above - CLE, JAX, ARZ - end up with multiple top 5 picks).

The franchises that tend to win SBs rarely, if ever, have top 5 picks. So trying to predict what kind of player a team should pick in the top 5 based on the history of top 5 picks is silly.

1 hour ago, Ovie_Lover said:

That is beyond stupid. Those players are tougher than you could ever hope to be. They put their football career on hold knowing it could impact they’re draft stock because they didn’t want to risk spreading the virus anymore than it already has. Those players have more character in their pinky than you will ever obtain in your entire life.

The other thing is, the virus for some people leaves permanent symptoms. I don't think I need to explain how a virus that attacks the respiratory system is bad for someone hoping to be a professional athlete.

Back to the main subject...Surtain at 4? That would be hard for me to swallow, but if he ends up being a really good, dependable CB, so be it...better than trading down, someone else getting him, then having to pivot and end up getting a bust.

1 hour ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

Don't discount Jaelan Phillips I would take him before Paye.

I agree. Phillips is probably the most up-side defensive guy we could get outside maybe Twyman. I just wonder where he's truly rate on draft boards. I find the mock sims put him high second, but honestly, these same sims have guys like Najee Harris hanging around until round 3-4 most of the time, which I find silly.

One thing is for sure. With Covid knocking a lot of these guys out of games this year, and then no combine where you can really get a feel for them, there are going to be tons of fans scratching their heads and going nuts draft night(s). I expect a LOT of surprise picks. 

11 hours ago, Fernando C. said:

We need to draft him, get a stud FS in FA.... and our defense all of a sudden becomes top 15..

Yeah our DL needs players but we can get Coverage Sacks..

Get him at 4 and call it a day...

Would be the dumbest decision this front office could make. He isn’t a #4 overall corner. Gets routinely beat and doesn’t make game changing plays at all. Long stuff and suspect to shifty WRs. If you take a corner at 4 he better be Regis/Sanders/Champ levels of good.

12 hours ago, campdirtybirdz said:

These players that chose to sit out the season are suspect to me. I can't explain it but, I don't think we should draft any of them. It's like a character flaw. A weakness. I hope in wrong. Just a feeling.

I see what you're saying. If just about everybody else is playing, you probably should grow a pair and play too. 

3 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Why is that?

It’s very rare for one to be any kind of shutdown guy these days, so getting a solid one later can be done while not sacrificing too much talent. (AJ, for instance)

The league rules just aren’t built to grow a Revis anymore.

I’d be much happier taking him or Farley after a trade back. 

7 hours ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

The other thing is, the virus for some people leaves permanent symptoms. I don't think I need to explain how a virus that attacks the respiratory system is bad for someone hoping to be a professional athlete.

Back to the main subject...Surtain at 4? That would be hard for me to swallow, but if he ends up being a really good, dependable CB, so be it...better than trading down, someone else getting him, then having to pivot and end up getting a bust.

Covid is for real and no one should question the motive for why a player choose to stay at home.. 

As fot Surtain at 4 he would have an instant impact in our D... if we can trade down lets do it.. but we need a partner for that.. something right now we don't have.. so I would be really confortable with Surtain at 4.. 

7 hours ago, thanat0s said:

I agree. Phillips is probably the most up-side defensive guy we could get outside maybe Twyman. I just wonder where he's truly rate on draft boards. I find the mock sims put him high second, but honestly, these same sims have guys like Najee Harris hanging around until round 3-4 most of the time, which I find silly.

One thing is for sure. With Covid knocking a lot of these guys out of games this year, and then no combine where you can really get a feel for them, there are going to be tons of fans scratching their heads and going nuts draft night(s). I expect a LOT of surprise picks. 

Its going to be a interesting draft.. also if the CAP stays the same.. expect a lot of NEED FILLING...

Surtain at 4 is what we call a reach. Maybe at 9 but not at 4. Top 4 will for Lawrence, Fields, Sewell, and Wilson.  Drafting anyone else is stupid. trade back to 9 and get picks if you want Surtain, Parsons, Rosseau, etc....... Falcons will get calls for people looking to trade up for Wilson of Fields. Depending on who Jets  and Jags take.