For the record, Matt is here to stay this season

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As most with common sense expected  

It's because they hate Ryan. It's pure emotion. You can hate Ryan all you want. It won't change a thing this offseason

It's not going to stop the dreamers from demanding a quarterback at #4. I think it's much likelier that the team actually drafts someone like Parsons or Sewell at 4, OR trades down to a QB needy team

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

As most with common sense expected

It's not going to stop the dreamers from demanding a quarterback at #4. I think it's much likelier that the team actually drafts someone like Parsons or Sewell at 4, OR trades down to a QB needy team for draft capitol. Just my belief...I think there's a less than 5% chance of the Falcons drafting a quarterback at their current 1st pick. 

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

It's not going to stop the dreamers from demanding a quarterback at #4. I think it's much likelier that the team actually drafts someone like Parsons or Sewell at 4, OR trades down to a QB needy team for draft capitol. Just my belief...I think there's a less than 5% chance of the Falcons drafting a quarterback at their current 1st pick. 

I can't believe people really gave ultra serious thought to him not being a Falcons this upcoming season in the least lol. Then again I know. Consider the source

7 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I'd be very surprised we pick a QB at 4. We definitely need a find a successor though to learn under him. 

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I can't believe people really gave ultra serious thought to him not being a Falcons this upcoming season in the least lol. Then again I know. Consider the source

It's because they hate Ryan. It's pure emotion. You can hate Ryan all you want. It won't change a thing this offseason

1 minute ago, freakyfalcon said:

I'd be very surprised we pick a QB at 4. We definitely need a find a successor though. 

And that is fair. I've been saying for a while now that I'm not opposed to a quarterback in round 2 or 3 and molding them into being the successor that you speak of. I also think out of the 4 top 10 QB prospects, basically all of them (especially Lawrence and Wilson) are badly overhyped. Fields is the only realistic person that could be there at 4 that could be enticing...but I'd rather someone cough up their 1st, 2nd, and next year's 1st to get him. Ryan is fine and we can always draft a QB next year or even the year after. Collecting draft capitol would be huge...especially when just as many fans are terrified of the salary cap problem. 

5 minutes ago, freakyfalcon said:

I'd be very surprised we pick a QB at 4. We definitely need a find a successor though to learn under him. 

If it's for the future, draft away. The main point is to show reality to people who live in dreamville that the fact of the matter is Ryan is going no where until at the bare minimum next season. 

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

We’d be foolish not to roll with Ryan for at least one more year, possibly two.  Nobody in this draft is an immediate upgrade over Ryan

People should really consider this...what if the Lions traded us their 1st round pick, 3rd round pick, and 1st next year to move up to #4 to draft Zach Wilson. We draft Micah Parsons at 6. Wilson completely busts and the Lions finish 2-14...giving us the #1 overall pick next year...that COULD happen.

I think even the “Draft A QB Or Die” boys expect Ryan to be here in 2021 and possibly beyond. They’re still holding out hope for a QB at 4 though. I just don’t see it. I think Lawrence and Wilson will be gone. That leaves Fields, Lance or Jones at the four spot.

If you marry Fontenot's BPA approach to Arty's “it starts up front” ideology, it sounds like Sewell or Slater at 4 to me. Maybe a DLineman. I'm still hoping we trade down and load up though. The cure for our cap woes would be a bunch of BPA type NCAA rookies.

16 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Not for me. I don't hate Matt Ryan. I don't look happily at the winding down of his career, but his career is ending soon. Not this season, but there is definitely a chance he'll be gone after this next year because of the cap.

The need for his replacement is a top priority, even though Ryan will unquestionably be back next year. Franchise QB's do not grow on trees, and neither do top-5 draft picks. There are several franchise-level QB's available in this draft. History has shown you need a top-level QB to be competitive, especially with the new emphasis on offense and scoring a lot of points.

Some may assume you can just grab a franchise QB at any draft position any year you happen to need one, but that is just not the case, the miracle of Tom Brady and a handful of other mid to late round drafted QBs notwithstanding.

I would hope and trust Arthur Smith will not be foolish and irresponsible enough to gamble and wait to draft a QB sometime down the road at some random draft slot in a year that might not even have one franchise-level QB to draft at all. If he does ignore QB at #4, I will consider it a very dubious start to his roster adjustments.

Any HC with an ounce of sense won't hand the keys to a rookie QB over a successful franchise QB. IMO, Matt has at least five good years left in his career. 

Matt's up and down play has been due to the Falcons hiring OCs (exception of Shanny) who aren't creative and struggled to make in game adjustments on the fly.

If Matt performs at a high level this upcoming season (which I suspect he will) with a creative OC, then his decline is delayed and he'll have more time to play.

4 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

People should really consider this...what if the Lions traded us their 1st round pick, 3rd round pick, and 1st next year to move up to #4 to draft Zach Wilson. We draft Micah Parsons at 6. Wilson completely busts and the Lions finish 2-14...giving us the #1 overall pick next year...that COULD happen.

That’d be a crazy trade for us, but I think the lions know they’ll likely suck next year without Stafford so I don’t see them giving up their own future first. More likely would trade what they get from trading Stafford. 

6 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Not for me. I don't hate Matt Ryan. I don't look happily at the winding down of his career, but his career is ending soon. Not this season, but there is definitely a chance he'll be gone after this next year because of the cap.

The need for his replacement is a top priority, even though Ryan will unquestionably be back next year. Franchise QB's do not grow on trees, and neither do top-5 draft picks. There are several franchise-level QB's available in this draft. History has shown you need a top-level QB to be competitive, especially with the new emphasis on offense and scoring a lot of points.

Some many assume you can just grab a franchise QB at any draft position any year you happen to need one, but that is just not the case, the miracle of Tom Brady and a handful of other mid to late round drafted QBs notwithstanding.

I would hope and trust Arthur Smith will not be foolish and irresponsible enough to gamble and wait to draft a QB sometime down the road at some random draft slot in a year that might not even have one franchise-level QB to draft at all. If he does ignore QB at #4, I will consider it a very dubious start to his roster adjustments.

I don't disagree with your approach on getting a QB...however where I disagree with you is Matt being here only 1 more season. I think it's a minimum of 2. 

Also, the reason I say "they hate Ryan" is because when someone lobbies for trading down or not drafting a QB....a pretty typical response you get is "wow, you're delusional about ole noodle arm aren't you? Ryan lover!" You see what I mean? Lol

6 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

This is exactly how you maximize your draft position with your team dynamics and negate the "we may not pick this early again" reasoning

Use the fact that you have stabilization at the QB position to your advantage.

3 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Basically what I’ve been hoping for.  Don’t know if it’s the Lions or becomes a 1st overall next season but could def. see that whomever we would trade with could have a rough season and we get a top 10 pick next season out of it to draft that QB that half the fan base is clamoring for.  

1 minute ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

Basically what I’ve been hoping for.  Don’t know if it’s the Lions or becomes a 1st overall next season but could def. see that whomever we would trade with could have a rough season and we get a top 10 pick next season out of it to draft that QB that half the fan base is clamoring for.  

Lol yea I mean that was best case scenario. I'm just saying that if a team trades up to our #4 pick for a QB, they likely have to give us picks next season. Very possibly their 1st round pick...and that pick could very well end up being a top 10 pick. 

3 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Some may assume you can just grab a franchise QB at any draft position any year you happen to need one, but that is just not the case, the miracle of Tom Brady and a handful of other mid to late round drafted QBs notwithstanding.

Still a good bit of dead cap to trade him after next season.  Why take that hit when he’ll still be a very good QB?  I don’t think about moving on from Ryan until post 6/1/23.