QB Trainer Quincy Avery on the top QBs in the draft

1 hour ago, joeyg2033 said:

I do think they should go QB with the 4th pick.... Either Wilson or Fields. However, if we can get extra draft capital by trading the pick, Lance better be there for us. He's the only guy worth trading down for IMHO... 

Actually there's not really BPA value on defense at 4. Their value seems to be from the middle of the 1st and onward. We also don't have to pick a QB at all (or maybe someone like Crum from Kent in the late rounds). If we trade back far enough, we'll have two first round picks next year to trade up for the QB we want (if it's even necessary).

Anyone we trade down for, including the other two picks we add in the early rounds should all be starter caliber. We'll have at least 3 new rookie starters instead of 0 if we take a QB.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Athletic interviewed Quincy Avery on Watson, the WFT situation and the top draft QBs. For reference, Avery trains Watson, Dwayne Haskins and Jalen Hurts. He's also working with Trey Lance and some

Just one more source that whispers to stay away from Wilson. Lance might be young enough and inexperienced enough with this level of competition to ride the bench for a year or two with Matt star

My issue with quotes from Avery is that he's no different than an agent - i.e., he has clients he wants to promote. Notice which QBs he's worked with and which ones got positive reviews. The two he ha

5 minutes ago, 804_Falconfan said:

Interesting. That's the first time I'ver heard that. Usually Lawrence is considered to have the best overall arm in the class. I know people really love the different arm angles Wilson uses to get the ball out. 

the angles, faster delivery, not having to set his feet, etc. 

Getting Trey in a trade down would be the ultimate compromise  for the  front office.  Get QB of the future while grabbing picks to fill out roster. Problem is Trey Lance won't make it out of the top 10 by draft night. The only safe spot to trade down would be @6 with Philly who aren't going QB. I could see them grabbing Sewell or Slater if MIA goes receiver with their pick. Philly's OT's are depleted. 

Getting Trey in a trade down would be the ultimate compromise  for the  front office.  Get QB of the future while grabbing picks to fill out roster. Problem is Trey Lance won't make it out of the top 10 by draft night. The only safe spot to trade down would be @6 with Philly who aren't going QB. I could see them grabbing Sewell or Slater if MIA goes receiver with their pick. Philly's OT's are depleted. 

1 hour ago, 804_Falconfan said:

I did find it interesting that Avery said all the QBs could probably benefit from sitting a year but that's basically not the way NFL teams work anymore. 

Feel there was never a time like that in the NFL that top 5 QB picks sat a year in the past, feels like that's been happening more recently, but most guys usually get to play year 1 at some point. 

1 hour ago, 804_Falconfan said:

I always get wary when I see guys who dont regularly set their feet. Unless they're Aaron Rodgers

that's the point though....  Wilson's 'comp' is Rogers. In soooooo many ways, it's uncanny.

Would you pass on Rogers, the one you've known after he sat for THREE seasons, if he were in this draft?

1 hour ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Lance is the QB I want. Wilson could be special too but I wouldn't feel bad at all if we traded back, got Lance and sat him behind Matt till he hangs it up.

The extra picks from the trade down will help make the team better right now.

Trey Lance would likely need two years to develop properly, but his potential if he has the right situation may be the highest.  To me he also seems to be the highest risk, by a pretty large margin as of now. So much of the evaluation process that we as fans never get to really know...

11 minutes ago, PapaJoe said:

that's the point though....  Wilson's 'comp' is Rogers. In soooooo many ways, it's uncanny.

Would you pass on Rogers, the one you've known after he sat for THREE seasons, if he were in this draft?

I dont know if I'm ready to go that far with the comp yet. 

11 minutes ago, PapaJoe said:

Trey Lance would likely need two years to develop properly, but his potential if he has the right situation may be the highest.  To me he also seems to be the highest risk, by a pretty large margin as of now. So much of the evaluation process that we as fans never get to really know...

I'm not so sure on the development front, Lance will be way ahead mentality since he had by far the most responsibility and exposure to NFL type QB demand (mentally). Meanwhile you have Fields on the opposite end of the spectrum looking to the sideline on every play for the adjustments from the staff identifying everything for him and calling the play. Lance has the biggest competition jump by far, but since he will be ahead mentally it should help in creating more of a transition from a physical/game speed standpoint and he'll be able to "play faster". From a competition standpoint definitely a big risk, he is actually likely ahead in other areas though imo.

5 hours ago, joeyg2033 said:

I do think they should go QB with the 4th pick.... Either Wilson or Fields. However, if we can get extra draft capital by trading the pick, Lance better be there for us. He's the only guy worth trading down for IMHO... 

He won't be there. Teams like the Saints are waiting him. I wouldn't put him past any team that are remotely looking for a QB.

1 hour ago, PapaJoe said:

Honestly dont think his comp should be rodgers anyway. Top picks shouldnt be compared to hall of famers on day 1. 

5 hours ago, celtiksage said:

If we obsolutely had to take a QB, it would be Lance for me after trading down. I'm just terrified of Wilson. He's my least favorite of the bunch, even after Mac Jones in the 2nd.

The best case scenario might be trading down, using one of the extra picks to draft Lance later, let him sit a year or two then take over. 

45 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

Honestly dont think his comp should be rodgers anyway. Top picks shouldnt be compared to hall of famers on day 1. 

People make comps based on what they think they see, not that the player will equal the success. It's the "thing" now to make comps among the scouting and analyst/talking heads.  I don't particularly like it either. But I do see the reasons for the comparison.

1 hour ago, IA Falcon07 said:

I'm not so sure on the development front, Lance will be way ahead mentality since he had by far the most responsibility and exposure to NFL type QB demand (mentally). Meanwhile you have Fields on the opposite end of the spectrum looking to the sideline on every play for the adjustments from the staff identifying everything for him and calling the play. Lance has the biggest competition jump by far, but since he will be ahead mentally it should help in creating more of a transition from a physical/game speed standpoint and he'll be able to "play faster". From a competition standpoint definitely a big risk, he is actually likely ahead in other areas though imo.

I was referring more so to his development with his footwork, mechanics, and accuracy. He could really benefit from having time to adjust to level of play, mature mentally and with what he sees, how to attack it, as they all could, but he is all over with his throws at times and will really have to get that corrected or he will eventually bust.

4 hours ago, 804_Falconfan said:

You think Wilson has a better arm than Lawrence? Honest question

Arm strength means for naught.

Its how quick you are between the ears.

Its why coming out of a pro ready system is key because it takes less to get upto speed.

It’s one of the reasons TD and co jumped on Ryan in 08 they had the interview session with him and he pretty much already knew the playbook coming out.You lessen that learning period definitely speeds up your clock with regards to speed of the game.