https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30064775/former-top-recruit-jaelan-phillips-finds-second-chance-miami%3fplatform=amp

March 1, the first day of spring practice and the first time Phillips put on his Miami uniform. He lined up as a defensive end.

"When we saw him this spring, we were like, 'Oh my gosh,'" Baker said. "We did not know what we had, I'll tell you that much. As a staff, we had no idea what kind of monster this dude is."

After that first day, Baker decided to find Phillips' old high school clips. In the first one he watched, Phillips returned a punt for a touchdown.

Once the team returned together for fall practices, coaches saw even more. Defensive line coach Todd Stroud said early in the fall camp that Phillips is in the 99th percentile of any player he has ever coached in terms of his physical attributes. Baker says, "If you were to create a player in a video game, you'd create Jaelan Phillips at defensive end. He's 6-5, he's 265, 270 pounds. I'm willing to guess he will run easily in the 4.6s. He's going to test out of this world from a combine standpoint. Then, from a mental aspect, he's one of the smartest players I've ever been around. The cherry on the top is with the effort he plays with."

Baker compares Phillips to NFL standouts Nick and Joey Bosa and says, if Phillips stays healthy, "he's a no-brainer first-round pick."

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

Love me some Jaelan. More polished than Groot and will be a good player. Effort guy. He could develop into your main edge rusher. I see him as a comp piece. Can get you 8 sacks a year be solid against the run. Could develop into a double digit sack player. Very athletic too

I will take 8-10 a year. May be trade down for this guy. 

Injury prone at UCLA is his biggest concern for most folks:

A consensus 5-star recruit, Miami EDGE Jaelan Phillips played his first two seasons at UCLA before transferring to Miami where everything came together in 2020. Phillips was flashy at UCLA but played a modest amount of snaps across 11 games in two seasons. Ankle, wrist, and concussion issues limited his time on the field for UCLA before his move to Miami. Phillips’ performance in 2020 was exactly what the Bruins thought they were getting in the former prized recruit. A balanced defender, Phillips is a playmaker against the run and pass, where his exciting blend of size, length, power, technique, and athleticism make him a challenge for offenses to neutralize. Phillips is a versatile player that has experience playing with his hand in the dirt on the edge, rushing from interior alignments, and playing in space in a standup role—which makes him a fit for all teams in the NFL. The areas of concern for Phillips entering the NFL are playing with better pad level, developing consistency with his hand technique, and becoming more consistent reducing his surface area while establishing a half-man relationship with his opponents as a pass rusher. Phillips has all the makings of an impact defender at the next level, although a large sample size of high-level production in college would have been preferred. 

Ideal RoleStarting 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB.

Scheme FitPhillips is scheme-versatile with equal appeal to even and odd front teams. 

1 hour ago, Arkridge said:

Jaelan is one of my favorite in a thin EDGE class. He's got great bend, motor, and comes into the league already comfortable with a variety of pass rush moves. I'd love if he made it to our second round pick but after teams dive into his film I doubt there is any way he makes it there.

Won’t make it out the 1st round. He will kill it at the pro day

I think he's going to be like Michael Porter Jr. from the NBA everyone is sure of his talent but his injuries have gotten him down in the draft because the teams will be too scared. I think Jaelen Phillips will also be like that, he's had several operations and most importantly a medical retirement, which will be a big red flag for the NFL teams.  But if I compare the two it's because both of them could legitimately claim to be the first pick of their draft but the injuries will have decided otherwise. I personally think it will go down to the 4-5th round of the draft, will we be the Nuggets and get a superstar? The future will tell us but he deserves to take the risk

What I will say is he does have an injury history but that’s where your team doctors make their money. He sprain his ankle at UCLA. And then he got into a moped accident when a car pulled out in front of him. Broke his wrist. He had one other injury but I can’t remember it. But he fully healed when he came to Miami. Dude is a monster now

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 7:51 AM, youngbloodz said:

What I will say is he does have an injury history but that’s where your team doctors make their money. He sprain his ankle at UCLA. And then he got into a moped accident when a car pulled out in front of him. Broke his wrist. He had one other injury but I can’t remember it. But he fully healed when he came to Miami. Dude is a monster now

And he's had 2 concussions, the last of which had him medically retire. Playing an OLB edge type defender for Pees, the possibility for a third and final concussion are pretty high. I might not even touch him in the 2nd.

Totally risky pick.

35 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

And he's had 2 concussions, the last of which had him medically retire. Playing an OLB edge type defender for Pees, the possibility for a third and final concussion are pretty high. I might not even touch him in the 2nd.

Totally risky pick.

Every player is a risky pick. 

15 minutes ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

Phillips is one of my favorite players in this draft.  I would be thrilled if we got him.  I think he is one of those guys who is going to make a lot of people regret passing on him.  He could be the Grady of this draft..  overlooked but ends up being great.  

Could be. No doubt about it. I would wait and see if he falls because of medical and if I picked up extra picks with a trade down, then it might be worth the risk if he falls to our 4th-ish pick (could still be late 2nd or 3rd round). I'd probably go with someone else, but he certainly has the intangibles our staff is preaching.

6 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

So you’re saying no every player isn’t a risky pick?

Not at all. What I'm saying is Paye, Rousseau, Ossai, Ojulari, Oweh and Patrick Jones don't have 2 or 3 concussions, and haven't been told by a doctor they need to medically retire. I'd take any one of them first. That's all I'm saying. And who knows who else the staff has on their value board that we know nothing about.

Wouldn't touch him until the 3rd if we picked up more picks after trading back.

And if I did draft him, I'd add another DE as an insurance policy.