Do you think that Arthur Smith and Terry Fontenont will try to bring back Alex Mack?

I think this is where the fact that Fontenot coming from the Saints comes into play.

They have been one of the best teams at drafting o-linemen since the beginning of Sean Payton's tenure there. Arthur Smith also knows what to look for in evaluation of o-linemen because he used to coach them and played the position.

1 minute ago, Mister pudding said:

Depends on what they see in Hennessy

Yeah agree with this...Mack will cost you 5-7 million a year at this point in his career. Is he worth that or can Henny take over? 

Related to the OL but Carpenter will be good as gone so there will be a hole at LG. Wonder if they'll target a vet LG in FA and not worry about sticking a rookie there with Henny being a second year player. That way, you can go all defense in the draft except picking RB.  

With what he wants to try and run...that might be a good idea but honestly Mack has been declining.

He was top tier in 16 but every year that tier got worse and worse....which happens to guys when they have been in the league for 10,12 years.

If he is open to a cheap 1 or 2 year deal then it would be worth it just from leadership stand point but they really need to see what Hennessey has to offer.

His 2 game audition was a mixed bag but imo was more good than bad.

15 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

With what he wants to try and run...that might be a good idea but honestly Mack has been declining.

He was top tier in 16 but every year that tier got worse and worse....which happens to guys when they have been in the league for 10,12 years.

If he is open to a cheap 1 or 2 year deal then it would be worth it just from leadership stand point but they really need to see what Hennessey has to offer.

yep Father Time ALWAYS wins

48 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Depends on what they see in Hennessy

This. Hennessy got a chance to sit and then got a chance to play at the end of the season. He's coming into a very OL-friendly scenario, both in terms of scheme and Ledford being a fantastic coach. He's plenty talented (I loved him coming out), smart, and Temple tough. Wouldn't waste resources on Center except for maybe signing a backup and having the two compete.

1 minute ago, Francis York Morgan said:

This. Hennessy got a chance to sit and then got a chance to play at the end of the season. He's coming into a very OL-friendly scenario, both in terms of scheme and Ledford being a fantastic coach. He's plenty talented (I loved him coming out), smart, and Temple tough. Wouldn't waste resources on Center except for maybe signing a backup and having the two compete.

Yeah, I think you coach him up and role the dice on Hennessy next season.

I think Matthews, Hennessy, Lindstrom, and McGary all can benefit greatly from this new coaching staff. They also won't have to worry about so many long developing plays and lack of creativity to scheme WRs open which causes the o-line to have to block longer.

Really need to find an answer for LG.

I think we might be better moving forward without Mack, sliding Hennessy to Center where he’s likely a more natural fit than at guard, and using Mack’s would-be money to invest in the LG position. Fontenot knows how to build an OL; just look at the names throughout the years for the Saints (Bushrod, Evans, Nicks, Grubbs, Unger, Warford, Armstead, Ramcyzk, McCoy, Ruiz).

With that said, say we move on from Mack and use his would-be money for LG. Who’s the target? Austin Blythe, Jon Feliciano, Brian Winters, Ethan Pocic?

9 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Alex Mack may want to stick around another year or two with this offensive mastermind as head coach.

9 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

In all honesty, they are probably looking at any and all scenarios.  If Alex is feeling up to it, why not?  

9 hours ago, tcmafreak said:

We have severe salary cap issues. They are going to be focused on filling holes, but with less expensive players. I don't think Alex Mack helps meet that goal.

1353248196_deadfalcon.jpg.cf66e7871e2ef2ce0ac54a8c6f1b3003.jpg

9 hours ago, Brewcrew said:

I think absolutely Arthur will want to keep Mack for 1 or 2 years to help install his system if he is reasonable on price.   

The only things we know for -sure-.... Mack is a FA.  Mack is in decline.  Last season was his worst ever.  Still good.....just not 8 million or so good.

Does Mack want to keep playing?  What is he willing to play -for-, salary wise?  We have new coaches, do they want Mack back?   What\who is available in FA and the draft?

Only thing I know for sure is....I don't want to keep Mack if it means losing Keanu Neal. Or some other young contributor.  That would make no sense.

Edited by egoprime II
16 hours ago, Slumerican said:

My guess is they will take a look too long before they cut bait with him or stash him for emergency backup.. Dont believe he's a 1

but he clearly can't be good, he HAS to be a bust, cause he's a third round pick who couldn't get the start when we had a vet all pro center already on the team. And didn't even play until that center got hurt and he played the last two games and didn't do that badly. Yep, clearly not a number 1, with 2 games and limited other snaps, they just need to cut bait with him

🤦‍♂️

16 hours ago, papachaz said:

cause he's beatin my a$$ on a regular basis now, I used to win occasionally....

:lol::mmmhmm:

I feel ya there for sure. With arthritis I can’t run nor fight. So I’ve had to act like a good receiver and sit down in an empty zone.  It takes a running jump just to get on the sidewalk and I can’t run...😂

23 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Agree. I honestly don't feel that Mack has much left physically, mentally or emotionally at this point. He, his OL and his team have gone through some very rough times since 2016. He's looked worn out a lot these past two seasons. Even if he were retained for this coming season there's a good chance he wouldn't even be physically able to go the whole year.