If we wait on RB til the mid-rounds, keep an eye on Javian Hawkins of Louisville

With the hiring of Louisville OC Dwayne Ledford to be our new offensive line coach, he may just get in Arthur Smith's ear about Javian Hawkins. A bit undersized at 5'9 200lbs, but what he lacks in size he makes up for in big play potential from anywhere on the field. He'll likely come into the draft the fastest of the running back bunch reportedly running in the mid 4.3s. The guy is literally lightning in a bottle and anyone who has watched an Louisville games has seen it, he's absolutely dynamic.

He isn't the smashmouth Derrick Henry type many are predicting for an Arthur Smith offense but he has the potential with his outstanding play making ability to be an excellent change of pace back and a dangerous weapon out of the backfield and given the OC that fed him the rock over 2 season (2,432 yards and 17 TDs) is now on our staff. Louisville didn't always utilize his talents as much as they should have in the passing game, but neither did Tenn. with Alvin Kamara. I'd absolutely be for us taking a shot on this guy in the 3rd or 4th round. If you haven't already, I suggest checking him out.

1 minute ago, kenn.junior said:

5'9 200 is way to small to be able to be that bell cow we need

The same was said about Alvin Kamara who is of similar size. Devonta Freeman plays excellent football for us for multiple seasons at around the same size too. Football teams can never have enough dynamic playmakers and this guy is definitely that. I obviously wouldn't want to see him getting starter carries right off the bat, but as a change of pace back this guy could do some real damage.

Give me Gus Edwards in free agency and Javian Hawkins in the 4th round.

9 minutes ago, kenn.junior said:

5'9 200 is way to small to be able to be that bell cow we need

I don't think we need a bell cow.  I'd rather have multiple backs with varying skill sets.  Fresher legs, smaller contracts and less dependency on one guy.  Better for attacking different defenses in different was as well.

4 minutes ago, kschreck said:

I don't think we need a bell cow.  I'd rather have multiple backs with varying skill sets.  Fresher legs, smaller contracts and less dependency on one guy.  Better for attacking different defenses in different was as well.

My thoughts exactly.

That is something that I hope Smith deviates from.

Henry had 378 carries....his back up had 47.

He needs to diversify that and spread the carries out around other backs.

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

My thoughts exactly.

You drive THAT ride until the wheels fall off tho dont you?

4 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

My thoughts exactly.

He did talk about it. Smith is not tied to one bell cow. He mentioned what cleveland did with Chubb and Hunt was great too. It just depends what personnel he will have to work with. 

1 hour ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Be nice to have someone in RB room be the fastest guy on the field. Reminds me of Antoine Smith. Is he also a special team demon?

Not sure on the special teams front. Antoine Smith is a great call though. He did some special things for us his breakout season.

Edited by Arkridge
1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

He did talk about it. Smith is not tied to one bell cow. He mentioned what cleveland did with Chubb and Hunt was great too. It just depends what personnel he will have to work with. 

Good to hear.

Like I said...I have my reservations about some things but he will get every benefit of the doubt.