If we stay at pick 4 and DON’T go QB.. Who’s your guy?

Most mocks I’ve seen posted lately either have us taking at QB at 4 or trading down and loading up on picks. Rarely have I seen any of these mocks having us staying put and taking a position other than QB. So my question is, if we do indeed stand firm at 4, who’s your guy?

For me it’s gotta be Patrick Surtain II. Cornerback is a premium position and he’s the best of the bunch this year. A combo of Surtain II and Terrell gives us so much upside in the defensive backfield even more than we had when we first fell into the Trufant/Alford combo.

The one pick I would dislike the most is Micah Parsons. Mainly because I feel his pass rush ability has been a bit exaggerated. From what I’ve seen he’s more of an opportunistic blitzer than an actual rusher and is a liability in open space when he isn’t blitzing.

What do you guys think?

Sewell. Pencil in a dominant 10 year road grader. Fits right in with what AS wants to do. As he said, "It starts up front." 

Before anyone comes in here with the, "We've spent X amount of picks on OL". We don't have anyone of this caliber, and at some point, you have to think of some of those picks as sunk costs. The OL makes EVERYBODY's job easier, from the O to the D.

3 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Sewell. Pencil in a dominant 10 year road grader. Fits right in with what AS wants to do. As he said, "It starts up front." 

Before anyone comes in here with the, "We've spent X amount of picks on OL". We don't have anyone of this caliber, and at some point, you have to think of some of those picks as sunk costs. The OL makes EVERYBODY's job easier, from the O to the D.

I do like Sewell, but tbh I like Rashawn Slater more. Such a smoother operator and is versatile enough to move anywhere you want on the line. My issue with taking Sewell at 4 is you have to play him at tackle and I think moving either Matthews or McGary inside ends in disaster. Neither of them are versatile enough or good enough with their leverage at that height to kick inside. It would make our issue at guard even more pronounced.

I honestly don’t believe we could go wrong with either Sewell, Parsons, or Surtain. Fontenot knows how to build an OL, Arthur Smith knows how to run the ball, Dwayne Ledford seems like a legit OL coach, and we no longer have Dirk Koetter. Those 4 things VASTLY improve the OL. Sewell, possibly a generational talent to have for years alongside Lindstrom, McGary, and Matthews (for now) is a cherry on top. Parsons is a dynamite playmaker with lightning quick processing speeds and physical ability. An absolute playmaker. He in Pees’ defense would be aggressive AF. Our linebackers would be STRONG. Surtain + Terrell for years to come also deserves the strong AF honor. Surtain’s length, smarts, and physical ability point to him being a guy who can tilt an offense’s gameplan into being too one-dimensional when they square off against these Birds.

I know this thread is about staying at #4 which is why I named those 3 guys, but I just want to add that there are some good trade back scenario pickings between Farley and Slater as well.

We’re in a great position. Let’s focus on  the secondary, defensive playmakers at any position, LG, and RB.

1 hour ago, Arkridge said:

If we picked Rousseau at 4, I'd throw up.

1 hour ago, alexhead97 said:

Rousseau is cheeks, the film shows a very different story to those crazy 2019 sack numbers.

As I said, I can only base my picks on a small amount of digging and the games I watch.   I've watched a lot of Miami games because I work in Ft Lauderdale 2 weeks a month - so I've seen more of him - at least last year - not this one.   He is huge and was an extremely good player from what I saw - but I've not done a lot of digging into the draft options this year.

43 minutes ago, CTann said:

I honestly don’t believe we could go wrong with either Sewell, Parsons, or Surtain. Fontenot knows how to build an OL, Arthur Smith knows how to run the ball, Dwayne Ledford seems like a legit OL coach, and we no longer have Dirk Koetter. Those 4 things VASTLY improve the OL. Sewell, possibly a generational talent to have for years alongside Lindstrom, McGary, and Matthews (for now) is a cherry on top. Parsons is a dynamite playmaker with lightning quick processing speeds and physical ability. An absolute playmaker. He in Pees’ defense would be aggressive AF. Our linebackers would be STRONG. Surtain + Terrell for years to come also deserves the strong AF honor. Surtain’s length, smarts, and physical ability point to him being a guy who can tilt an offense’s gameplan into being too one-dimensional when they square off against these Birds.

I know this thread is about staying at #4 which is why I named those 3 guys, but I just want to add that there are some good trade back scenario pickings between Farley and Slater as well.

We’re in a great position. Let’s focus on  the secondary, defensive playmakers at any position, LG, and RB.

GASP!!

wait wait wait!!!! you mean there can be a player in a position OTHER than quarterback that could be a 'must have generational talent' kinda guy! 

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT!!!!!!

I mean some around here obviously think, from their posts the last month, THAT philosophy only applies to and should be used on quarterbacks

tsk tsk, I'm appalled at you for suggesting such heresy!

I don't really have to put that in purple, do I? 

47 minutes ago, Tandy said:

As I said, I can only base my picks on a small amount of digging and the games I watch.   I've watched a lot of Miami games because I work in Ft Lauderdale 2 weeks a month - so I've seen more of him - at least last year - not this one.   He is huge and was an extremely good player from what I saw - but I've not done a lot of digging into the draft options this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0u9r7_h7bw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmKOBJbG_Oc

Ignore the fact that these guys look like nerds, they're pretty good at breaking down prospects

Edited by alexhead97