Falcons hire Jets LB coach - Frank Bush

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/falcons-add-four-more-coaches-to-staff

Bush spent the last two seasons with the New York Jets as assistant head coach defense/linebackers coach and was promoted to defensive coordinator for the final four games of the 2020 season. Prior to his time with the Jets, Bush served as the assistant head coach/linebackers coach from 2017-18 for the Miami Dolphins. His 30-year coaching career has also included stops with the Rams (2013-16), Titans (2011-12), Texans (2007-10), Cardinals (2004-06) and Broncos (1995-2003).

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2021/1/22/22244335/falcons-add-jets-interim-dc-frank-bush-to-staff-as-new-linebackers-coach

The Falcons are adding an experienced defensive coach to their growing staff, with interim Jets defensive coordinator, assistant head coach and linebackers coach Frank Bush joining the team officially this morning. Bush will join up as the linebackers coach.

In addition, the team announced they are keeping offensive assistant Danny Breyer on the staff. Breyer spent the year in that same role in 2020 on Dirk Koetter’s offensive staff.

Bush is an interesting name and figures to be a prominent piece of a rebuild defensive coaching group. He spent two years as a player with the Oilers before transitioning into a coaching career in the NFL, and Bush has now been a linebackers coach for seven different teams in his long career. He was the defensive coordinator for the Houston Texans in 2009 and 2010—that team had a decent pass defense and quality run defense in 2009 before cratering in 2010—and has been an assistant head coach at three different stops. The Falcons are getting a coach with a long track record of working with linebackers, in other words, and someone who would be able to step in as defensive coordinator and/or in an assistant head coach role if needed.

Unsurprisingly, Bush overlapped with Arthur Smith in Tennessee when he was the linebackers coach there back in 2011 and 2012, so this hire is about experience, track record, and of course connections.

The Falcons also made the hires of new offensive line coach Dwayne Ledford and running backs coach Charles London official. Those moves were reported today and yesterday, respectively.

Welcome Frank Bush and these coaches officially to the staff.

Bush certainly has a lot of experience, but he also bounces around a lot.  Seems like he is a good LB coach who keeps getting promoted beyond that and failing back into the LB coach role.  But that's just my ignorant first glance take from looking at his wiki page.  

From a friend of mine who lives in NJ and is a diehard Jets fan:

”He coached our LB's this year though and they played really well. Neville Hewitt had his best season. Harvey Langi and Frankie Luvu were flying all over the place. 
Once Gregg Williams got fired, Frank Bush replaced him. Our defense under Frank Bush dominated the Rams and Browns which is why we won.

He will be a good position coach.”

Edited by CTann
4 minutes ago, CTann said:

”He coached our LB's this year though and they played really well. Neville Hewitt had his best season. Harvey Langi and Frankie Luvu were flying all over the place. 
Once Gregg Williams got fired, Frank Bush replaced him. Our defense under Frank Bush dominated the Rams and Browns which is why we won.

Nice!  Thanks for the info, very promising!  I like the way AS is building this staff.  Was thrown a bit with Pees as full on DC (was thinking he would consult) but I'm digging it.

18 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Right man for this staff. Right man for Parsons.

Loved the way he used his linebackers. Blends wonderfully with Pees’s scheme.

Don't know much about him, haven't watched the Jets.

Would you be able to go into a little detail please about him and how a player like Parsons would benefit from being coached by him?

32 minutes ago, CTann said:

I watched one Jets game this year and Langi was all over the place. Looked like a beast and was my favorite player to watch in that game. Can't wait to see what he and Pees does with talent like Olokun and Jones.

37 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Don't know much about him, haven't watched the Jets.

Would you be able to go into a little detail please about him and how a player like Parsons would benefit from being coached by him?

Linebackers are his thing. Even when he was a DC, his scheme really featured his linebackers.  I really like coaches that let their backers play downhill instead of read and react. I mean his guys used to attack gaps. His linebackers fly around and when he ran his own stuff he ran the Under, so it’s a perfect fit for Deion and Foye. They won’t have to learn a new language per se and the scheme’ll play to their skill set.

33 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Think he could take over at DC when Pees leaves. He did well with the Jets.

He’s got experience as a play caller going all the way back to Houston and he’s coached in a variety of defenses. He very well could take over, but more importantly he’s a great intermediary. 

You want a good defense, you have to get good play out of your linebackers no matter the scheme. He’s gonna be able to get this new stuff from Pees translated to our LBs seamless fashion.