Atlanta legend Hank Aaron passes away

58 minutes ago, Michael Scott said:

He got in the 90s a couple of times but still that’s incredible. Because of his extremely strong and quick wrists, he was always in position that he could wait til the last second to commit to swing, thus making lots of contact. I also think he said he never tried to guess on what pitches were gonna be thrown. He was always waiting for and ready for the fastball, which meant if he had to hit a curve his wrists were quick enough to react to it. 

Just think, he wasn’t even a “power hitter” and still hit 755.

It is truly lost art to be a complete player at the plate.

4 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I agree with wearing a hammer symbol somewhere on the helmet or jersey.  

It would be a symbol of excellence, high standards & greatness & would serve as a reminder that great things can again be accomplished in Atlanta sports.  

Our very own legend in the mold of guys like Hershel Walker etc.  This symbol would also be a way of expressing our love & endearment to Hank Aaron.  

I vividly recall oftentimes laying in bed listening to the radio & how mesmerized I would be when Hammerin' Hank was in the batters box.  It's like it was yesterday.  

I remember watching him come out of the dugout swinging the two bats over his head then when he got to the on deck circle he'd sit on one knee with his bat under his armpit. I tried emulating that as a kid and of course it didn't work out so well since I could almost remain standing with the bat under my arm pit. My best friend and I would play whiffle ball in the yard and we'd emulate Hank's running style when we homered, he would always push his elbows way back behind him when he ran, especially during his homerun trots.

To be honest, I wasn't the biggest fan of his seemingly lackadaisical style on the field, he had a way of being the last guy on the field and the last guy off. He would also flip the ball underhanded back to the infield after base hits and that kind of got under my skin. My favorite Brave in those days was Dusty Baker, he was Mr. Hustle and I really liked that. Hank was our Team hero however and he was the guy that the team was built around. He was a big part of my childhood memories and I got two autographs from the first baseball game ever played in 'Atlanta Stadium' as it was known then, Hank Aaron and Al Kaline. The Braves played an exhibition game against the Tigers and they were still wearing the M's on their hat. I think it was after the '65 season before the team actually moved if I remember correctly. 

RIP Hank. Thanks for the memories.

Edited by slider

4 hours ago, mountain_jim3 said:

I also was in the stands for 715 - was quite the party in Underground Atlanta after the game. Still have my ticket and commemorative paper they handed out.

RIP Hammerin' Hank

I listed to the game on the radio, can still remember how great it felt when he homered

Great player and great person

3 minutes ago, oztin said:

Actually Hank Aaron is missing 8 home runs from his official stats. He is still the reigning home run King

Barry Bonds shouldn't even be mentioned IMO. I was just answering the question of who else some people might consider the 'Homerun King'.

3 hours ago, slider said:

I remember watching him come out of the dugout swinging the two bats over his head then when he got to the on deck circle he'd sit on one knee with his bat under his armpit. I tried emulating that as a kid and of course it didn't work out so well since I could almost remain standing with the bat under my arm pit. My best friend and I would play whiffle ball in the yard and we'd emulate Hank's running style when we homered, he would always push his elbows way back behind him when he ran, especially during his homerun trots.

To be honest, I wasn't the biggest fan of his seemingly lackadaisical style on the field, he had a way of being the last guy on the field and the last guy off. He would also flip the ball underhanded back to the infield after base hits and that kind of got under my skin. My favorite Brave in those days was Dusty Baker, he was Mr. Hustle and I really liked that. Hank was our Team hero however and he was the guy that the team was built around. He was a big part of my childhood memories and I got two autographs from the first baseball game ever played in 'Atlanta Stadium' as it was known then, Hank Aaron and Al Kaline. The Braves played an exhibition game against the Tigers and they were still wearing the M's on their hat. I think it was after the '65 season before the team actually moved if I remember correctly. 

RIP Hank. Thanks for the memories.

Wow that is a great post buddy, it really hits home to me.  My buddy & I always fondly remember Hank's routine on one knee in the on-deck circle bro!.

During the game when he blasted 715, my buddy & I were at the concession stand checking out when we heard the crowd roar.  I nearly fainted thinking I just missed probably THE biggest HR in MLB history as I dropped my hot dog & ran into a nearby aisle at Fulton County Stadium. Much much much to our lucky surprise, Hank was only walking up to the on-deck circle as I thanked God I didn't miss history in the making.  I never felt so relieved as I that day watching him on a knee, swinging those bats over his head.  

Roland Office, a braves relief pitcher at the time, told Hank earlier that day that he would be the one to get that home run ball, and sure as **** he did when it landed in the bullpen located in the outfield.  

LOL, he sure did have a peculiar & unique trot now that I recall :)

10 hours ago, Geneaut said:

RBIs - 1st

Total Bases - 1st

Extra Base Hits - 1st

Hits - 3rd

At Bats - 2nd

Runs Scored - 4th

Games Played - 3rd

HRs w/o steroids - FIRST

And even he couldn't get selected to the Hall of Fame on a unanimous vote. I hate all hall of fames' selection processes but baseball's is the most stuck up, arrogant and bool chippy of all of them (tied with the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame).