Atlanta legend Hank Aaron passes away

6 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

They can rename the Braves to the Hammers today and I'd be on board. RIP, good sir.

You know, I’m not a big fan of the name changing stuff going on, but if we gotta do it, I couldn’t think of a better name. It would appease the offended people and honor the greatest Brave ever at the same time. 

The Atlanta Hammers.  

Just now, thofin21 said:

He had 715 and never touched the juice, not to mention great on defense and a great person. RIP one of the all time great ones. 

Heard Chip Caray say this morning that you could take away all his homers and he’d still have over 3000 hits. That’s a complete ball player. 

I agree with wearing a hammer symbol somewhere on the helmet or jersey.  

It would be a symbol of excellence, high standards & greatness & would serve as a reminder that great things can again be accomplished in Atlanta sports.  

Our very own legend in the mold of guys like Hershel Walker etc.  This symbol would also be a way of expressing our love & endearment to Hank Aaron.  

I vividly recall oftentimes laying in bed listening to the radio & how mesmerized I would be when Hammerin' Hank was in the batters box.  It's like it was yesterday.  

11 minutes ago, Michael Scott said:

Heard Chip Caray say this morning that you could take away all his homers and he’d still have over 3000 hits. That’s a complete ball player. 

Very much so. I can remember back when I was in College when I had a conversation about the greatest of all time and it was discussed that Hank NEVER hit more than 45 in one season and rarely struck out. Then we started digging into how consistent he was over his entire career and came to the conclusion that he HAS to be top five ever if not top one! 

Hate to hear this. When I was in the 6th grade, the only male teacher in my elementary school gathered all fo the boys together once a week and had talks with them about anything we wanted to discuss. At that point, the student body was almost 100% Black and they wanted to have somebody with experience growing up in the city talk to us before we moved to the next level. One day, he pulled up a television set and we watched as Hank Aaron went for 714 in a day game. He didn't get it that afternoon but he did in the game after and I remember watching him get 715 on the Superstation not long after.

Hank Aaron is a genuine icon for me and others who needed a hero when they were in diminishing numbers. He's one of the few people that I would be speechless in his presence had we ever encountered each other. It seems like we're in a heckuva stretch in this past year regarding the people we're losing. So many big names have passed and Hammerin' Hank's as big as they get. This feels like a gut punch.

He retired before I was born, I've never lived in Milwaukee or Atlanta and I haven't followed baseball for years; all that said the fact that, with all those things in mind, I know as much as I do about Mr. Aaron says it all.  A true legend , RIP. 

24 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Very much so. I can remember back when I was in College when I had a conversation about the greatest of all time and it was discussed that Hank NEVER hit more than 45 in one season and rarely struck out. Then we started digging into how consistent he was over his entire career and came to the conclusion that he HAS to be top five ever if not top one! 

On strike outs: 23 years in the bigs, he never had a season where he struck out 100 times. 

22 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I don’t think he even came close to that many in a season if I remember correctly.

He got in the 90s a couple of times but still that’s incredible. Because of his extremely strong and quick wrists, he was always in position that he could wait til the last second to commit to swing, thus making lots of contact. I also think he said he never tried to guess on what pitches were gonna be thrown. He was always waiting for and ready for the fastball, which meant if he had to hit a curve his wrists were quick enough to react to it. 

1 hour ago, Michael Scott said:

You know, I’m not a big fan of the name changing stuff going on, but if we gotta do it, I couldn’t think of a better name. It would appease the offended people and honor the greatest Brave ever at the same time. 

The Atlanta Hammers.  

That's a lotta syllables :D  (It WOULD give a new visage to the Tomahawk)

I don't remember, but I can at least say I went to one Braves game with Hank at Fulton when I was tiny.   I  met him in person a bit later...again don't remember.   A god has passed.