Dirk Koetter Has Retired From Coaching

12 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

The 2012 season will probably always be one of my favorite seasons so I'll simply say 'thank you for the memories'. Best of luck in your retirement.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but then a thought creeped in my head that what if he was actually holding us back that year. We had some serious talent on that offense with 2 1st ballot hof players (Tony and Julio) and 2 borderline hof players (Ryan and Roddy) plus Michael Turner.  

1 hour ago, Monolith2001 said:

Koetter may not have been the best OC for this team in 2019-2020 but dude was a pretty good OC when you really think about his career as a whole.  The league figured out that scheme years ago though and became less efficient and effective.  I wanted him gone but much like DQ, Rah and Ulbrich, he still has my upmost respect.  Just didn't work out here.

Problem is there was an obivous lack of passion and attention to detail the last couple of years and especially the second half of this year. He wasn't a bad OC, but his scheme was a poor fit for our talent and then the lack of creativity and ingenuity probably in large part due to the man counting down the days until he can retire were really the undoing here. 

Just now, Dr Long Shot said:

Problem is there was an obivous lack of passion and attention to detail the last couple of years and especially the second half of this year. He wasn't a bad OC, but his scheme was a poor fit for our talent and then the lack of creativity and ingenuity probably in large part due to the man counting down the days until he can retire were really the undoing here. 

Honestly no one knows what the scheme was in ATL last two years. You don’t hire DK to run WCO/using WCO terminology. What a mess. 

2 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

Koetter may not have been the best OC for this team in 2019-2020 but dude was a pretty good OC when you really think about his career as a whole.  The league figured out that scheme years ago though and became less efficient and effective.  I wanted him gone but much like DQ, Rah and Ulbrich, he still has my upmost respect.  Just didn't work out here.

I disagree regarding the scheme issue.  The Buccaneers are going to the NFC Championship this weekend on the strength of the same scheme.  We're discussing it in the other thread on the o-line coach, Ledford, but the difference in the NFL is attention to detail.  Koetter didn't have it.  Leave aside he had to learn new terminology and run someone else's playbook, his approach to offense just wasn't a coherent whole.  He might have had it at one point, but it just wasn't good enough at this level to last.  

I never say someone is a bad coach.  Koetter knows more about football than I will ever know.  But I will say his ability to coach players up and improve them was not good enough to have sustained success in the NFL.  That's probably not his fault, so I wish him well in retirement.  

27 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Honestly no one knows what the scheme was in ATL last two years. You don’t hire DK to run WCO/using WCO terminology. What a mess. 

This is just a hunch, but my guess is MR2 may have had some input in his hiring since he was OC before. One would think they would consider his thoughts in the hiring, but this is just my speculation

3 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

So he was done with coaching pretty much after the Bucs HC job.

Which may explain how bad his playcalling was during this 2nd Falcons stint as OC. His heart may have not been truly into it.

All in all, thank you Coach Koetter for all you've done for the Falcons and hope you enjoy and have a happy retirement.

appears he basically retired after the bucs, just went ahead and took the paycheck from here. 

sorry, not sorry. didn't want him here the first time, dang sure didn't want him this last time. 

nothing personal, purely from a 'coach' stand point. Go enjoy your life Dirk

20 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

This is just a hunch, but my guess is MR2 may have had some input in his hiring since he was OC before. One would think they would consider his thoughts in the hiring, but this is just my speculation

No. He did not. It was confirmed by DK, DQ, TD and Ryan. That was the first question which came up. There was a lengthy article on SI about DQ hiring experienced coaches on offense.  I wish they did check with Matt and Julio. 

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

No. He did not. It was confirmed by DK, DQ, TD and Ryan. That was the first question which came up. There was a lengthy article on SI about DQ hiring experienced coaches on offense.  I wish they did check with Matt and Julio. 

Thanks for the clarification.. Yeah, doesn't make sense. Anytime you rehire an employee at a company, you vet them through the people they worked with before..