Rapoport: Falcons OC and DC

2 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Guys like Monte Kiffen and **** LaBeau stayed a DC forever.

LaBeau got his shot as an HC of the Bengals back in the early 2000's. Only lasted like 2 years.

Kiffin never got his shot though.

Both have been mostly DC for the last half century lol.

55 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

LaBeau was a HC for 3 years. He was DC for like 30. When was Kiffen ever a HC?

LaBeau is an all-time great DC, but was a terrible HC.

I'm not sure why Kiffin never became a HC. Even his son Lane Kiffin had a terrible stint as Raiders HC. Maybe he just wasn't interested in becoming one?

2 hours ago, Sui_Generis said:

Falcons didn't make the playoffs at all. Even with a ""better" defense. How did that work out for ATL?

You missed the whole point I was making. My point and what I said was that hiring Dean Pees and having him build a defense and then leave and hand it over to someone else did not work for the Titans because their defense this year was absolutely horrendous. Far worse than the Falcons defense. I said that I hope the Falcons do a better job of selecting Pees successor than the Titans did. I have no idea how this turned into a "well at least the Titans made the playoffs" thing. That has nothing to do with the Titans defense being ****ty and their successor to Pees being straight garbage. That was the subject. That is what I said. God I hate the way this ******* place takes anything someone says and twists it all around to fit some stupid mother****ing narrative that has nothing to do with anything. Jesus H Christ!!!

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

LaBeau is an all-time great DC, but was a terrible HC.

I'm not sure why Kiffin never became a HC. Even his son Lane Kiffin had a terrible stint as Raiders HC. Maybe he just wasn't interested in becoming one?

Correct. That is my point. Some guys don't care to be head coaches. Look at Pete Carmichael with the Saints. If he wanted to he could have had a head coaching gig 10 years ago but he has rarely if ever even interviewed. He's been perfectly content in his role with the Saints. In a perfect world the Falcons could find a good coach like that to stick around as DC for 10 years or so. That was the point I was trying to make but of course it like everything else I post on here gets twisted to mean something I didn't mean.

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

Sounds like a man that "gets it." This is what @Knight of God and a few of us others have tried to explain. People get so caught up on 4-3 or 3-4 or 5-2 or 4-6 or Nickel or Dime or Quarter or Two By Four that they don't realize that none of that **** matters. The only thing that matters is the **** players. Scheme doesn't matter without having the right players.

2 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Sounds like a man that "gets it." This is what @Knight of God and a few of us others have tried to explain. People get so caught up on 4-3 or 3-4 or 5-2 or 4-6 or Nickel or Dime or Quarter or Two By Four that they don't realize that none of that **** matters. The only thing that matters is the **** players. Scheme doesn't matter without having the right players.

Exactly.

But you know people want to see what a defense is on paper lol.

The sports media has fans thinking that simplistically because even they only say 4-3 or 3-4.

3 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Exactly.

But you know people want to see what a defense is on paper lol.

The sports media has fans thinking that simplistically because even they only say 4-3 or 3-4.

I also blame Madden because on Madden you select which scheme you run and your choices are 4-3 or 3-4. That's the way it was for years. At least thankfully now in the last several years of Madden they expanded it to include stuff like 4-3 under or over or 3-4 under or over and multiple. There's even a little description to try to explain the differences and what type of players you need to make it work.