Rapoport: Falcons OC and DC

19 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I wonder if the Falcons go out and get a veteran guy like a Ryan Kerrigan? Kerrigan has been regulated to a backup role with Washington because of all the guys they've drafted the last few years. He could be a mentor to a guy we draft in the same way Freeney mentored Beasley during Beasley's 16 sack season.

I've always liked Ryan Kerrigan.

A couple of us liked him coming out of Purdue. People mentioned him as a potential prospect for the Falcons in the 1st round before the Julio trade happened.

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

That’s the old school 3-4 with those huge blood and guts defenses. Nobody really runs that as much anymore.

Even the hardcore 3-4 guys, they play more with a shade. And their personnel is built more for adaptability and speed. 

The edge is where we’re going to have to uncover a gem to really get this thing going... but that’s been every year here.

I’d love to see Fontenot pull the trade trigger and go get a Vonn Miller or alike.

1 minute ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I've always liked Ryan Kerrigan.

A couple of us liked him coming out of Purdue. People mentioned him as a potential prospect for the Falcons in the 1st round before the Julio trade happened.

Yeah, I've always liked him. I had no idea that Washington got him with a pick they got from Jacksonville when they traded up for Blaine Gabbert.

Man after watching a few videos of Dean Pees talking football on YouTube I'm excited. Maybe we can actually be a consistent blitzing and disgusing Defense for once. I see him utilizing Debo and Foye very well. Keanu as well if he's back. I'm thinking we go FS pretty high this year seeing as he likes to use 3 safeties at once and move them around. I'm as happy about this Pees signing as the Smith and Fontenot.

23 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Blitz Percentage = 2019

• Titans - 24.6%
  • Falcons - 24.5%

Blitz Percentage = 2018

• Titans - 29.8%
  • Falcons - 21.5%

The Falcons blitzed 32.8% of the time in 2020. I don't know why Pees and the Titans blitz percentage would drop so much from 2018 to 2019.

Maybe personnel or game flow? I just finished watching one game. They don’t jam receivers much and he left Butler on an island a lot. Overall the looked pretty disciplined and hit hard. 

19 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

3rd and 2, corners 10 yards off. Barfff

He's had a top 12 defense in points scored in every single year that he's been a dc except one.

I'll take that versus looking at one dang play. Come on now

For some context we have had four top 12 defenses in matt ryan's entire career.

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Pretty much but the fronts that he tends to use (at least the ones he used with Vrabel) don’t function that much differently than what we’ve been doing the past year or two.

The one thing I’m not too in love with in his scheme is the reading the line is asked to do in sets.

Thought he ran more of a 4-3 over front 

1 minute ago, Wjcorner said:

Thought he ran more of a 4-3 over front 

When they put 4 hands in the dirt whether base or sub, he’s in a lot of Over. But in base, they played a fair amount of Under, mixed in with some double eagle stuff... which we started showing more and more of last season when we came out the gate with all those odd fronts.

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Well in my dream of dreams Jack Del Rio would have been a perfect fit for what we have to work with. But I know that’s not happening.

Someone like Jim Schwartz or, most ideally, Jonathan Gannon would have been my pick.

Jacks good, similar to Mike Smith. Not a big fan of Schwartz and Gannon seems like he will be good, but unproven. 

The one we got is good, but old.

OC's and DC's, regardless of the head coach to me are the most important thing of all. The GM brings in the talent "At least that's how it is made out to be", how that talent is brought in depends on who makes those calls I guess. I dunno. 

Fowler IMO, was he hurt this year? He done nothing that I can think of at all.

I never liked the idea of basing a defense or offense around the schemes of 1 or 2 players, your just being baited when it comes to your approach in my opinion. I believe a well coached and healthy team who knows how to handle things will out weigh and overcome during troubled times in a game moreso than a couple of superstar "Well Known players I should say". 

Just my thoughts on the subject. I'm no expert that's for sure. 

11 minutes ago, WinningIsTheOnlyOption said:

OC's and DC's, regardless of the head coach to me are the most important thing of all. The GM brings in the talent "At least that's how it is made out to be", how that talent is brought in depends on who makes those calls I guess. I dunno. 

Fowler IMO, was he hurt this year? He done nothing that I can think of at all.

I never liked the idea of basing a defense or offense around the schemes of 1 or 2 players, your just being baited when it comes to your approach in my opinion. I believe a well coached and healthy team who knows how to handle things will out weigh and overcome during troubled times in a game moreso than a couple of superstar "Well Known players I should say". 

Just my thoughts on the subject. I'm no expert that's for sure. 

Yeah, bad hammy since camp. 

9 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

Peyton what do you think about Parsons as a fit in his scheme ?

Parsons is a game-wrecker if he’s used right. Pees likes to get creative with his sub packages. Parsons is the ultimate weapon. He’s good in space, he can give you something in the rush.

I think a lot of people think Parsons/3-4 and automatically think Outside Linebacker. He’d be wasted there. He’s not a true edge-rusher; or I should say that’s not where I saw him play his best ball as PSU. You don’t wanna take a hoss like that and just stick in on the LOS over a tight end all game.

I’d wanna know who his position coach is gonna be though. There’s an art to bringing hybrid-type guys along.