Rapoport: Falcons OC and DC

1 hour ago, The Don™ said:

I like the Pees hire. Allows Smith to focus mostly on the offense and other HC responsibilities. I wanted us to get a vet DC that can handle the defense with little interference from the HC.

The only problem with Pees is the same problem with Wade Phillips. He's older than dirt. This isn't a long-term solution. That was the biggest gripe I had with everyone suggesting Wade Phillips. I want a long-term answer. Not someone who's only in it for 1 or 2 years and then we're in the same hole of needing to find another DC. The only way this works is if we are able to find someone who can learn from Pees and keep the defense humming after Pees retires again. The Titans weren't able to do that and their defense was worse than the Falcons this year.

Just now, AUTiger7222 said:

The only problem with Pees is the same problem with Wade Phillips. He's older than dirt. This isn't a long-term solution. That was the biggest gripe I had with everyone suggesting Wade Phillips. I want a long-term answer. Not someone who's only in it for 1 or 2 years and then we're in the same hole of needing to find another DC. The only way this works is if we are able to find someone who can learn from Pees and keep the defense humming after Pees retires again. The Titans weren't able to do that and their defense was worse than the Falcons this year.

They are already planning for this. Thats why they are trying to get a Co-DC 

Just now, AUTiger7222 said:

I hear Dean Pees' son is a bright young up and coming coach. Maybe he can bring him in and mentor him to be his replacement? 

1 hour ago, fuego said:

I don't get Pees retiring for a second time just a year or two ago, and now coming out of retirement again. Unless he retired again because he was let go. 

Probably 2 things contributed to this move on his part. 

1. I read somewhere that he and his wife planned to travel and then covid hit. 

2. He got home and  didn't have anything to occupy his time. That's when he realized that the day a man stops working is the day he starts dying. IMO

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yep, nobody runs a pure 3-4 like that anymore.

This could mean Falcons draft a hybrid OLB/DE in one of the early rounds.

Wonder who the DL and OLB coaches will be? Do you think they'll bring in a pass rushing specialized coach?

I wonder if the Falcons go out and get a veteran guy like a Ryan Kerrigan? Kerrigan has been regulated to a backup role with Washington because of all the guys they've drafted the last few years. He could be a mentor to a guy we draft in the same way Freeney mentored Beasley during Beasley's 16 sack season.

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

I would settle for squeaking out 10 wins.

Honestly we've been there and done that many times.  Getting four wins or losing in the Super Bowl are virtually equal to me at this point. There is only one unexplored galaxy for this intrepid Falcons fan.

14 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I’m pretty stoked about the Ragone hire. He managed to help make Trubisky look good the last half of the season.

I think the Pees hire is a temporary one. Smith needs someone to take that side of the ball off his plate so he can focus on the offense and building a culture. I’m not in love with the Pees hiring but he should, at the very least, be stable.

I equate his coaching more to being an “Alex Smith” type of hire as opposed to a “Patrick Mahomes” type of hire. 

But he looked terrible in the playoff game and he looked terrible early before he got benched and he has looked meh his whole career.

And Ragone was his qb coach for that time.

15 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Any good DC is going to be walking soon after anyway to a HC job. So either way we would he losing them. 

No good DC is going to just stick around for 5 years.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

16 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I’m pretty stoked about the Ragone hire. He managed to help make Trubisky look good the last half of the season.

I think the Pees hire is a temporary one. Smith needs someone to take that side of the ball off his plate so he can focus on the offense and building a culture. I’m not in love with the Pees hiring but he should, at the very least, be stable.

I equate his coaching more to being an “Alex Smith” type of hire as opposed to a “Patrick Mahomes” type of hire. 

Trubisky only looked good for 4 games because they played the defenses ranked 27th, 29th, 31st and 32nd in points allowed. Once they played the Packers and Saints in their final 2 games Trubisky went back to being garbage.

18 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

The problem with this ideology is if a young DC comes here and balls out, they are more likely to get poached and you start from scratch.

At least with Pees coming and a possible addition of a co DC, the Falcons will be set up to pass the torch. Not just start over. 

4 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

Prepare for Bend dont break, corners playing off and rushing 4 with Pees...not that happy with the hire. No more Debo and Foye blitz, kiss the corner blitz goodbye too

His defenses have always been good and the titans defense with more talent this year went into the gutter without him.

3 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Any good DC is going to be walking soon after anyway to a HC job. So either way we would he losing them. 

No good DC is going to just stick around for 5 years.

Guys like Monte Kiffen and **** LaBeau stayed a DC forever.

1 minute ago, Sui_Generis said:

The problem with this ideology is if a young DC comes here and balls out, they are more likely to get poached and you start from scratch.

At least with Pees coming and a possible addition of a co DC, the Falcons will be set up to pass the torch. Not just start over. 

That only works if you've got the right guy. Otherwise you turn into the Titans.

7 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

Prepare for Bend dont break, corners playing off and rushing 4 with Pees...not that happy with the hire. No more Debo and Foye blitz, kiss the corner blitz goodbye too

I’m watching the jags game and I already saw a LB blitzing on the first possession. 

2 minutes ago, Sui_Generis said:

Yeah you can best believe his son or some up and coming DC will take over. So we won’t have to worry about losing a 70something DC going to be a HC.

13 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

4 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

I’m watching the jags game and I already saw a LB blitzing on the first possession. 

Blitz Percentage = 2019

• Titans - 24.6%
  • Falcons - 24.5%

Blitz Percentage = 2018

• Titans - 29.8%
  • Falcons - 21.5%

The Falcons blitzed 32.8% of the time in 2020. I don't know why Pees and the Titans blitz percentage would drop so much from 2018 to 2019.