Rapoport: Falcons OC and DC

2 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

I don't care for it. Lots of coaches out there right now that's qualified and have paid their dues but cant get a shot because of nepotism and hook ups. The NFL is bad at that. But I digress. 

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

Yeah, the question is whether Matt has anything to give or whether pops is just getting his son a job.

My guess is Dean doesn't care much either way other than wanting his son to succeed, and I'd think putting him in a position to fail is not going to help with that.  I really don't think Smith would make the hire if he thought he was getting garbage.  My best guess is he's intending to come out the gate swinging and hired the best guy to help him along for the first few years, after which he'll retire and Smith has made no promises beyond that.

I think it all comes down to how good Matt Pees is. Maybe Arthur Smith sees something in him where he can be a viable asset to his staff?

He could turn into a good DC like Rex Ryan.

...... or an awful DC like Rob Ryan lol.

2 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I think it all comes down to how good Matt Pees is. Maybe Arthur Smith sees something in him where he can be a viable asset to his staff?

Bryant is gone. Schaub is retiring. The team needs more Matt's.

6 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Or he could not have a job after daddy retires, or at least not a job as a DC for the Falcons.

2 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

Well shoot. I was all excited for this Dan Pees hire cause everyone was saying how great of a DC he is until our resident Xs and Os guys on the board are not happy.

Me too bro but you have a bunch of know it alls here who think they know more than Smith. Get ready for the boo birds it’s coming. Trust me just ask....it’s always coaching and has little to do with players or players execution. 
Please don’t let a know it all turd discourage you. They know little but claim to know it all. Only time will tell

Edited by Atl Falcon

41 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

That would be the most logical thing. I mean I’m not ageist but dude is 71 and has retired twice. I’d think Smitty-2 would have some young Turk in mind to come on and apprentice.

That’s all we can do at this point, bro. 😆

I don’t hate Pees (cue the jokes) but he’s not a miracle worker. And just switching to a 3-4 ain’t magic. But you know me and you been trying to get that one across for years.

Lol. It's basically the same thing, but hey...people love aesthetics. 

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Not the move I would have made but Pees is not garbage. He’s a darn good coach. I expect us to get better. But just getting better isn’t what I’m looking for at this point.

I hope Arthur has Pees tweak his defense to have more of an attacking, tight coverage defense.

I'm not a big fan of an actual move to the 3-4 unless we're doing a total rebuild.

It doesn't make sense to need all new personnel on D, with no cap space, if we're trying to just retool the offense and be good on that side.

Several times over the last decade the Falcons haven't been on the same page offense and defense.  Hopefully this isn't a sign of that.

That said, if they can bring Gannon with, and do a more modified hybrid to fit what we have...I'm game.  I just felt like a bit of a deviation from what they were doing but with tighter coverage, a bit more inside blitz,  and a DE, CB, S and we could be a top 10 ish unit.

I'm excited for the versatility of the offense, but it seems sort of like the rest of the coaching staff is being done on the fly.

I’m pretty stoked about the Ragone hire. He managed to help make Trubisky look good the last half of the season.

I think the Pees hire is a temporary one. Smith needs someone to take that side of the ball off his plate so he can focus on the offense and building a culture. I’m not in love with the Pees hiring but he should, at the very least, be stable.

I equate his coaching more to being an “Alex Smith” type of hire as opposed to a “Patrick Mahomes” type of hire.