Rapoport: Falcons OC and DC

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

That would be the most logical thing. I mean I’m not ageist but dude is 71 and has retired twice. I’d think Smitty-2 would have some young Turk in mind to come on and apprentice.

That’s all we can do at this point, bro. 😆

I don’t hate Pees (cue the jokes) but he’s not a miracle worker. And just switching to a 3-4 ain’t magic. But you know me and you been trying to get that one across for years.

Yup.

Guys still gotta play and still gotta do their thing.

Any system works when the players do their jobs....and every system sucks when guys don't.

26 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Is pees strictly a 3-4 guy?

Nope, he'll run multiple fronts.  Per this article, he and Vrabel also mixed in three safety packages with three and four linemen fronts to help with the run out of three WR sets because so many teams run 3 WR personnel the majority of the time now.

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2019/7/29/20692918/how-the-titans-switchable-defense-is-evolving-to-keep-up-with-modern-offenses

I'm not the biggest fan of switching to a 3-4, but if we are to do it, I feel comfortable with Pees leading the charge and maybe grooming someone under him. Him or Wade seemed ideal for something like this.

Micah Parson makes a ton of sense here as a 3-4 OLB.

2 minutes ago, fuego said:

I don't get Pees retiring for a second time just a year or two ago, and now coming out of retirement again. Unless he retired again because he was let go. 

like Gronk.... It could have been that u wasnt happy where you was

16 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

That would be the most logical thing. I mean I’m not ageist but dude is 71 and has retired twice. I’d think Smitty-2 would have some young Turk in mind to come on and apprentice.

That’s all we can do at this point, bro. 😆

I don’t hate Pees (cue the jokes) but he’s not a miracle worker. And just switching to a 3-4 ain’t magic. But you know me and you been trying to get that one across for years.

I understand he may be bringing his son with him. Whether the son is Kyle Shanahan or Junior from Smokey and the Bandit remains to be seen. 

3 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

If it works out for the better, I wouldn't be against it.

Eventually get a young DC who learns from his father on a level like Dean Pees but also add his own wrinkles into it.

I don't care for it. Lots of coaches out there right now that's qualified and have paid their dues but cant get a shot because of nepotism and hook ups. The NFL is bad at that. But I digress. 

5 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

If it works out for the better, I wouldn't be against it.

Eventually get a young DC who learns from his father on a level like Dean Pees but also add his own wrinkles into it.

Yeah, the question is whether Matt has anything to give or whether pops is just getting his son a job.

My guess is Dean doesn't care much either way other than wanting his son to succeed, and I'd think putting him in a position to fail is not going to help with that.  I really don't think Smith would make the hire if he thought he was getting garbage.  My best guess is he's intending to come out the gate swinging and hired the best guy to help him along for the first few years, after which Dean Pees will retire and Smith has made no promises beyond that.