Rapoport: Falcons OC and DC

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I'm a little worried with how our lbs would fit in a 3-4. I know traditionally that your ilb in a 3-4 is bigger than deebo and more of a thumper and that your olbs are typically 6'5'' guys who can do it all really. If we make this switch tho I'd love to see us being in zaven collins somehow.

That’s the old school 3-4 with those huge blood and guts defenses. Nobody really runs that as much anymore.

Even the hardcore 3-4 guys, they play more with a shade. And their personnel is built more for adaptability and speed. 

The edge is where we’re going to have to uncover a gem to really get this thing going... but that’s been every year here.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I'm a little worried with how our lbs would fit in a 3-4. I know traditionally that your ilb in a 3-4 is bigger than deebo and more of a thumper and that your olbs are typically 6'5'' guys who can do it all really. If we make this switch tho I'd love to see us being in zaven collins somehow.

I actually like the idea of a 3-4 with the guys we have.

Grady showed that he could be productive as a 3-4 end when we ran it a few times later in the season and I think Davidson could thrive in it 

3 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

That’s the old school 3-4 with those huge blood and guts defenses. Nobody really runs that as much anymore.

Even the hardcore 3-4 guys, they play more with a shade. And their personnel is built more for adaptability and speed. 

The edge is where we’re going to have to uncover a gem to really get this thing going... but that’s been every year here.

I think collins could thrive in that role. He can literally do it all. Him and fowler will give us pretty good ends. Where does foye fit? The other ilb spot?

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Not the move I would have made but Pees is not garbage. He’s a darn good coach. I expect us to get better. But just getting better isn’t what I’m looking for at this point.

who would you have chosen 

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yep, nobody runs a pure 3-4 like that anymore.

This could mean Falcons draft a hybrid OLB/DE in one of the early rounds.

Wonder who the DL and OLB coaches will be? Do you think they'll bring in a pass rushing specialized coach?

17 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Easily better than what we’ve had but that’s a real low bar.

Not the way I’d have like to have seen is go, but I’m cautiously optimistic.

This is that “hook up” hire I don’t like and the man was retired. We shall see but I’m not a fan.

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Well in my dream of dreams Jack Del Rio would have been a perfect fit for what we have to work with. But I know that’s not happening.

Someone like Jim Schwartz or, most ideally, Jonathan Gannon would have been my pick.

Heard Jim Schwartz may be retiring for now.

1 minute ago, Flyin' In DC said:

Do you think Pees grooms a successor for a year or 2 and then goes? Like Gannon maybe?

That would be the most logical thing. I mean I’m not ageist but dude is 71 and has retired twice. I’d think Smitty-2 would have some young Turk in mind to come on and apprentice.

Just now, Knight of God said:

We'll see what happens right?

That’s all we can do at this point, bro. 😆

I don’t hate Pees (cue the jokes) but he’s not a miracle worker. And just switching to a 3-4 ain’t magic. But you know me and you been trying to get that one across for years.