Rapoport: Falcons OC and DC

1 hour ago, Ovie_Lover said:

**** no didn’t want him after he left Seattle don’t want him now. Y’all gotta let go of the big names that have past and start trying to look for the next big name.

I think we can address safety in the draft this year.  Should be several very solid NFL starters in the group available Rounds 2-5.  

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

You know what, you dont need him. HeIl man, you dont need any world beater at FS in this system at all. The floor would be a guy like Kazee at least. I would go with someone that can lay the smack though. There are a few in the FA that would be all world in this defense. Marcus Williams would be the man.

I have to be honest, this is the first time in over a decade that I can say, there will be FAs calling us to play in that defense. It's a career making style. Bama gets a lot of crap over the recruits, but that style will give guys a different chance. I'm not just saying that.

This part right here is what folks were telling me. NFL guys will take notice of Pees, his style, and the propensity of this defense to maximize certain positions. 

That's a good thing to have for the Falcons. As well as AS scheme to make others better on offense as well. 

I am genuinely excited to see what the draft and FA brings over the next couple of years. 

29 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Man I'm still not sure. The QB crowd is actually right to want to draft a QB at 4th overall because of how the position is valued, but I personally would entertain a trade down if offered and was sweet enough, likely take Surtain if not. That's just because we can dominate with just 3 to 4 of the right pieces on defense and just two decent RBs and a TE. You can sign Ingram and Jared Cook for that. The cap wont be as nasty with having a guy that was always over the cap being the reason they were able to dance around it.

Yeah if the coach and GM believe that much in one of the young QBs to be that guy over the next 10 plus years I get that and would do it also. Just not sure in them plus Matt is still really good. I’m cool with trading Matt if the young QB workouts in a year or so.

As far as CB it would be nice to have 2 good young guys there. I’m not sure there is a pass rusher worth taking that high. 

12 minutes ago, Sui_Generis said:

This part right here is what folks were telling me. NFL guys will take notice of Pees, his style, and the propensity of this defense to maximize certain positions. 

That's a good thing to have for the Falcons. As well as AS scheme to make others better on offense as well. 

I am genuinely excited to see what the draft and FA brings over the next couple of years. 

It's the same defense that flips defensive recruits to Bama

4 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Yeah if the coach and GM believe that much in one of the young QBs to be that guy over the next 10 plus years I get that and would do it also. Just not sure in them plus Matt is still really good. I’m cool with trading Matt if the young QB workouts in a year or so.

As far as CB it would be nice to have 2 good young guys there. I’m not sure there is a pass rusher worth taking that high. 

I think Smith is what Matt has been waiting on his whole career.

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

You know what, you dont need him. HeIl man, you dont need any world beater at FS in this system at all. The floor would be a guy like Kazee at least. I would go with someone that can lay the smack though. There are a few in the FA that would be all world in this defense. Marcus Williams would be the man.

I have to be honest, this is the first time in over a decade that I can say, there will be FAs calling us to play in that defense. It's a career making style. Bama gets a lot of crap over the recruits, but that style will give guys a different chance. I'm not just saying that.

If I were a betting man....I would put money on Williams being a Falcon in March.

He is a decent player (not great, but not a liability) we have a need and our new GM came from the place that drafted him.

Nothing is guaranteed but 2+2 usually equals 4.

We would just have the get memes like these out of our system

gYkOwff.jpg

19 hours ago, Michael Scott said:

And if WE say it’s a bad hire, it’s a bad hire... dammit!

I think what 'Artie' is doing is getting the one guy he knows can make a full meal out of scraps. Pees has the experience to run any style of defense and is not a guy that's stuck on a particular philosophy. Once a couple of years go by and they get the personnel turned over, they can go with a guy that's more structured in his approach. I think this is a very good hire for getting the most of a defense in transition. I've been screaming for years about mugging the line with the LB's and running more 'Blitz Action' looks. He calls it 'simulated pressure' but it plays havoc with the protection schemes and adds a 1/2 second to the QB's read at the snap which makes all the difference in pressure. I'm excited to finally get a defense with an attitude.

6 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

If I were a betting man....I would put money on Williams being a Falcon in March.

He is a decent player (not great, but not a liability) we have a need and our new GM came from the place that drafted him.

Nothing is guaranteed but 2+2 usually equals 4.

We would just have the get memes like these out of our system

gYkOwff.jpg

Rookie wasnt he?

6 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Man I'm still not sure. The QB crowd is actually right to want to draft a QB at 4th overall because of how the position is valued, but I personally would entertain a trade down if offered and was sweet enough, likely take Surtain if not. That's just because we can dominate with just 3 to 4 of the right pieces on defense and just two decent RBs and a TE. You can sign Ingram and Jared Cook for that. The cap wont be as nasty with having a guy that was always over the cap being the reason they were able to dance around it.

Not sure how feasible Cook is. He's close to Atl so maybe but he recently said if he's not re-signed by the Saints, he's done. Tired of moving. Whatever that's worth.

9 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Bingo. You didn't even have to check. His defense, is a lot closer to what I'm into. Saban, Belichick, etc. You can have jags at certain positions, but it looks like crap if you dont have one tyrant of an edge rusher, anchor NT, MLB, CB 1 and FS. Everything else is a front. You can have avg to JAG everywhere else and trade him in a year for a good pick. We have the building block. In Pees' defense, Jarrett is a DE/DT. Playing a mix of 3/5 tech and then we have 3 LBs. The 4th is NOT a LB in this front. Basically the 4th LB is a SS or NLB, Bama says Joker position, it it can be any DB or twitchy LB. The CB1 has to either be shut down, or opportunistic. At worst, an annoying and physical guy. We have that with AJ. Now you need a FS. The SS in this set can be anyone. The coverage can change before the snap.

So we need a NT and FS... we have MLB and CB plus Jarrett, Fowler and Foye... we can bring in some talent in this draft ... OLB are good in round 2 and 3... if we can trade down and grab a extra second.. that would be it... Surtain in the first.. OLB and FS in the second and Rb in the 3rd after that we have 6 picks... so that would be a dream Offseason.. 

7 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I think Smith is what Matt has been waiting on his whole career.

My only concern is the outs that TannyGoat hit a lot of his completions on. There wasn’t a ton of separation in the routes, possibly due to the WR’s,  but Matt is going to have to consistently hit those throws unless King Arthur removes them to accommodate Matt. 

30 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

My only concern is the outs that TannyGoat hit a lot of his completions on. There wasn’t a ton of separation in the routes, possibly due to the WR’s,  but Matt is going to have to consistently hit those throws unless King Arthur removes them to accommodate Matt. 

What? Titans had guys wide open.

27 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

What? Titans had guys wide open.

I watched a few games and they were not wide open. There are some plays where they run free but a lot of the receivers didn’t have a ton of separation. 

2 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

I watched a few games and they were not wide open. There are some plays where they run free but a lot of the receivers didn’t have a ton of separation. 

Our WRs are much better and MR is three times the QB Tanny is even if he's declining. I don't think AS is going to have a problem laying out plays for these guys.

14 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Our WRs are much better and MR is three times the QB Tanny is even if he's declining. I don't think AS is going to have a problem laying out plays for these guys.

Matt is older. I’m just saying Matt can’t consistently hit that out route. I like Matt but I am not sure he has the arm strength that TannyGoat does. 

1 hour ago, NWFALCON said:

Matt is older. I’m just saying Matt can’t consistently hit that out route. I like Matt but I am not sure he has the arm strength that TannyGoat does. 

I hear that a lot, but late in the season I saw him drop dimes at 50 and 55+ yards into the end zone and right on target. They weren't all caught, so there's that. The only thing he's never been able to do is throw a fade. WTH?! I've also seen him hit Julio on spectacular throws to the sideline at 20-30 yards downfield. Being in TX, I rarely get to see a game more than 3 or so times a year, but when I do, I see him doing this stuff.

I haven't seen him hit tight windows recently though, but he was always good at it with Sanu in those quick slants, and that wasn't that long ago.

If he's lacking anything that I've seen, it's his decision-making, but when you're staring at 4 wins, sometimes you just gotta say **** it and sling it.

I think with better designs and play calling that I'm sure AS is going to provide, he'll be just fine. And AS will design plays to his strengths or at least away from his deficiencies (ie., get a RB that can catch a simple out route).

And I don't know when the last time we saw play action which he was always good at, so I think that will return to.

I think his arm strength is fine. There's always been things he couldn't do (screen passes and fades primarily), but he still has enough to get us into the playoffs if we can get a slightly above average defense.

I expect we'll see a lot this next year to know we're heading in the right direction, but it might take a couple years to get this offense installed.

Inside the 20s, I don't see a problem. Now if we can do something about the red zone we should be able to double the win column from this year.