Falcons have favorable strength of schedule in 2021

Deen Worley
Wed, January 20, 2021, 2:06 PM·1 min read

e27ef6c4f7278adeb386221478b797b1

After having one of the NFL’s toughest schedules in 2020, the Atlanta Falcons may finally catch a break in 2021.

Allison Koehler of Steelers Wire calculated the strength of schedule for each team next season and the Falcons’ opponents have the 25th-ranked winning percentage (.479). Atlanta plays four playoff teams — Tampa Bay (twice), New Orleans (twice), Buffalo and Washington — in Arthur Smith’s first year in charge.

Fellow NFC South rivals will also see favorable competition in 2021. The Buccaneers’ strength of schedule is ranked 31st in the league, while the Saints aren’t too far behind (27th). Lastly, the Carolina Panthers (21st) have the toughest schedule in the division.

The NFC South could look quite different in 2021. As the Saints move forward without Drew Brees, the Falcons and Panthers will look to challenge Tampa Bay for the divisional crown next season.

17 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Last time someone said this I said nothing is easy when you have no GM, HC, or plan

We have two of those now, but I still find it hard to assume anything positive about next season right now

right, because there are sooooo many changes coming to this whole organization, who knows what the team we field at the start of the season will look like. Sure, there are some we know will be there, but I do believe there will be a lot of familiar faces replaced with some not so familiar ones  ;)

I bet there were Steelers fans with their stoopit towels posting about how they'd never lose to Cleveland at home.  

There was a lot of parity in the NFL and in the NFCS.  So a little better schedule can make a big difference but there are a lot of moving parts between now and kickoff times 32.  

Let's get some.

23 minutes ago, papachaz said:

right, because there are sooooo many changes coming to this whole organization, who knows what the team we field at the start of the season will look like. Sure, there are some we know will be there, but I do believe there will be a lot of familiar faces replaced with some not so familiar ones  ;)

I know Rico, Bailey, Carpenter will be replaced. Debo is an intriguing prospect.

21 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Debo isn't going anywhere.

2 minutes ago, papachaz said:

I think debo is safe, not so sure about neal though

Not saying he will go anywhere but who knows. Parsons? I am just saying, Debo has underperformed in last two seasons. Also Defense is going to be interesting if they want hybrid 3-4 base front or 4-3.

While the Falcons have a favorable schedule next season, we do play the AFC East and NFC East next season, and since the Falcons have been in the NFC South, we have not played well in seasons vs. those divisions or the seasons they were on our schedule.

2002-present. 2012 was the only season we made the playoffs playing the NFC East in its entirety, and we finished 13-3 that year with the #1 seed. 2003, 2006, 2009, 2015, and 2018, we missed the playoffs with the NFC East on our schedule.

2017 was the only season we made the playoffs with the AFC East on our schedule, we finished 10-6 that year as the #6 seed, but 3rd in the NFC South. We missed the playoffs in 2005, 2009, and 2013 playing the AFC East since being in the NFC South. We also missed the playoffs playing the AFC East in 2001 as well which was our final year in the NFC West. We also went 1-3 vs the AFC East in both 2013 and 2017, so that better change in 2021. 

Now here’s what’s tricky folks. Since 1991, which was the Falcons final year in Fulton County Stadium, the Falcons franchise has NOT missed the playoffs 4 years in a row or more. Yep. That hasn’t happened since the 80’s. 1992-1994, 1999-2001, 2005-2007, 2013-2015, and now 2018-2020 are the maximum 3 seasons in a row we’ve missed the playoffs. What happened in 1995, 2002, 2008, and 2016? The previous 4 seasons we came off 3 straight seasons missing the playoffs? Hopefully that continues in 2021, in a season we play both the AFC East and NFC East divisions, imagine that!

3 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Step 1, burn those horrific gradient uniforms.  

3 hours ago, Mr.Blank said:

and the others, too. Keep the helmets

I can do without the gradients but I love the all black. Been waiting to them to get back to that for years. Also like the white jersey with black pants combo. Every team in the league has a solid color uniform like that and they all look fine to me. :tiphat:

6 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Step 1, burn those horrific gradient uniforms.  

6 hours ago, Mr.Blank said:

and the others, too. Keep the helmets

6 hours ago, tl;dr said:

They look so arena league it hurts 

2 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Those things are the worst uniform in Falcons history by a long shot. Really one of the worst I can remember in a very long time.

I have some very exciting news for you!!!!

THEY ARE GOING TO BE OUR UNIFORMS FOR THE NEXT 6 SEASONS!!! 

Now you can sit back and let your insides just boil. 🤣 

1 hour ago, ADAMSVILLE GYM said:

I have some very exciting news for you!!!!

THEY ARE GOING TO BE OUR UNIFORMS FOR THE NEXT 6 SEASONS!!! 

Now you can sit back and let your insides just boil. 🤣 

So I still think they're bad, not going to lose any sleep over it.  :tiphat:

52 minutes ago, ADAMSVILLE GYM said:

I sure hope not. You’re powerless. You have absolutely no say so or control on the matter. 

WTH you going on about? Um, yeah, I think I do have a say so over if I like something or not. It's called an opinion, and we're both entitled to one. You like them, I don't. Big deal :shrug: