The Your 2022-23 Atlanta Hawks Thread

Mr. Hoopah!

5 minutes ago, Sponge said:

I think it's best to be agnostic 

I'm like that with the whole "how did the universe come to be" question. No one knows for sure, and honestly, I don't think humans will survive long enough to actually find out. Certainly not in my lifetime.

The only time I really get into creationism vs big bang is when it comes to the Young Earth groups that say it's only 6k years old.

Other than that, I steer clear of that one, because religion has the trump card of not being bound by evidence. For example, if we had irrefutable proof of a big bang style creation, religion will say "well, who created the big bang?"

Even when you get into simulation theory, you end up with the angle of "So [enter group] created a simulation, but who created them?" It's never ending...

2 minutes ago, Sponge said:

Depends on what you believe God is. I don't think God is a sky wizard but a pure form of energy and consciousness.

I get it man. We're all just energy balls. That's just science. We consume plants and animals, we die, we are consumed by plants and animals, etc.

The study was more around the organized religions.

https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/etd/10/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-critical-thinkers-lose-faith-god/

1 minute ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Other than that, I steer clear of that one, because religion has the trump card of not being bound by evidence. For example, if we had irrefutable proof of a big bang style creation, religion will say "well, who created the big bang?"

Even when you get into simulation theory, you end up with the angle of "So [enter group] created a simulation, but who created them?" It's never ending...

"Beginning to end" is a human concept of understanding. We can't think comprehensively without our mind having creating a beginning point. There are things that are eternal;  like the "sea" that multiverses and the big bang formed in (according to some before the big bang theories).

3 minutes ago, Sponge said:

"Beginning to end" is a human concept of understanding. We can't think comprehensively without our mind having creating a beginning point. There are things that are eternal;  like the "sea" that multiverses and the big bang formed in (according to some before the big bang theories).

Exactly. We focus on what we believe to be true, and we focus on how it relates to us. It's tough for the human mind to understand things on such a huge scale, and even more difficult when we aren't the center of the universe.

Everything is simply from our perspective. Until we get some aliens down here to give us another angle, we're pissing in the wind.

1 minute ago, lostone said:

Do you drink Dr Pepper? It is the drink of agnostics (South Park reference)

Ha! I never have pop in the house, but my son had buddies over this weekend and I have a 12 pack of Dr Pepper in the fridge. Had one last night and thought "It isn't root beer and it isn't cola".

I think that Biden has been better than I thought (while simultaneously not being enough)

I do hope that he steps aside in 2024 and let's Newsome run 

The little snafu during the lock down is bad but not disqualifying imo .

He just seems to get it....and by it, I mean being agressive with republicans.

7 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Technically the exact same thing as atheist. Anyone claiming different is ascribing other meanings to the word atheist. 

There's a difference between being genuinely agnostic and arguing on the internet that God is a bearded sky fairy man made up to subjugate one another.

5 hours ago, RandomFan said:

As would any sane person. The issue is some aspects of religion lead some people to believe they are committing righteous acts instead of the evil they are actually doing. 

Think of a Muslim jihadist suicide bomber who feels he is a holy warrior and will be rewarded with 57 virgins in heaven. 

Or the Christian fanatic who thinks by murdering an abortion doctor they are serving God's will. 

Or to a lesser extent, the people responsible for the gay conversion centers that force gay kids into believing something is wrong with them, when in fact there is nothing wrong at all. Leading to self oathing and often times suicides. But these people think they are doing good work...

Many many more examples.

I’d argue if you can be convinced of things like that, maybe you aren’t as righteous as you think you are. 

4 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

That's how I generally refer to myself. I'm not quite militant, just because I'm not a ****, but in my mind, I absolutely hate religion and know the world would be better without it. I will absolutely discuss religion and will debate it until the cows come home, as long as the other party is down to have that debate.

I generally won't go out of my way to **** on anyone for what they believe (even if I do in my mind).

I have a acquaintance who will absolutely **** on religion at any time, and usually at the most inopportune times. Dude walked up to my Catholic cousin on his wedding day, in a catholic church, while standing next to a priest, and ask him how many teenage boys he had to send over to secure the hall for his wedding... Those types of dudes make it tough to have an actual discussion around religion.

Religion is a tool to control like any other tool the powerful use to control. You get rid of religion, and something else will take its place. 

3 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

And now that I'm thinking about it, I think my biggest problem with any religion is that each requires a suspense in critical thinking. I think we need more people to understand and practice critical thinking, not less. A ton of our issues in this country are caused by a lack in critical thinking and reasoning. ANYTHING that requires the suspense on that is bad to me.

I took a critical thinking class in college, and it absolutely changed my views. Prior to that, I didn't follow politics, I didn't care about civil engagement, etc. Took that class and really started to understand how things work. Changed my views on a lot of things. Gun ownership (used to be a staunch 2nd amendment guy), abortion (used to think that it should be reserved for only severe cases where the mother is in danger), used to consider myself "fiscally conservative and socially liberal" (which really is a cop-out). ****, I got hired as a Sheriff's deputy at one point (didn't accept, because I would've had to take 6 months of training without pay).

Once I took that class, I actively tried to use that information, and it changed a lot of what I knew.

I think people suspend critical thinking any time they don’t understand something, whether it’s religion or science. 

On 9/26/2022 at 3:18 PM, AF89 said:

Chan Gailey was a mediocre NFL retread but I do member Tech consistently recruited in the top 30 and would be preseason ranked almost every year he was there. That version of Tech feels like a different lifetime. 

Paul Johnson was a fine tactician and his gimmick offense actually won them more accolades than Chan Gailey was able to accomplish (Gailey also couldn't touch Georgia where Paul Johnson started giving Georgia fits almost immediately) but he destroyed the NFL factory that Tech had going for themselves. Players did not want to go there and it even took a toll on the defensive recruiting by association too even tho Tech's defensive scheme was still NFL ready.

That's the Catch 22 of running that Triple Option.

Yes, it gives your offense more options in how it can move the ball regardless if you have low recruited players, BUT being that players have aspirations to want to play in the NFL and believe they have a better chance (and highlights) if they can play in an NFL-style offense while in college, you take huge hits in getting high level recruits to come play there. 

So yeah, I totally agree in that it destroyed the NFL factory that Tech had at one point in time. 

48 minutes ago, shc said:

Religion is a tool to control like any other tool the powerful use to control. You get rid of religion, and something else will take its place. 

Strongly disagree with this. Are the yogis of Tibet being controlled by the powerful? The saddhus of India?

Religion is a personal experience.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The Your 2022-23 Atlanta Hawks Thread