• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• Leon Troutsky

• Moist Words

7 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Oh, Phoenix is hotter than Houston. Like, much hotter. In June, an average of 12* hotter. Average High in Houston is like 91 at peak. Average high in PHX is 106 at peak.

Side-note... JJ Watt always comes off as a "holier than thou" DB, even as I recognize that he's a great person and does wonderful things...

I thought PHX was a dry heat though.  Years ago I had a case with an attorney who is George Godsey's (former Ga Tech QB, former Texans QB coach and current Dolphins TE coach) brother.  He said he went to Houston for a training camp practice while George was still there several years ago, it was so hot somebody's phone was starting to melt.

I feel like the actual reason for the CPAC stage being an obvious Nazi symbol is that conservative leaders benefit when their followers believe they're being persecuted for their beliefs, and the Nazi comparisons became much more common and much more real during the Trump administration. That's just what the Republican party is now. Their method of pursuing votes is to provide themselves as a solution to persecution from the left.

13 minutes ago, AF89 said:

You know it's funny how these things go in cycles tho I'm old enough to member the old old oooooold NBA thread we had in here long before Lebron to Miami where folks were complaining about NBA superstars chasing the money over a ring content to go score 25 a night with the Knicks or whatever and lose so long as they got a big paycheck and now we have like the extreme opposite problem.

I've been thinking recently that NFL players, this offseason QB's especially, are trying NBA-player tactics of forcing owners' hands and dictating trades. Used go, guys would demand trades, hold out through training camp and get fined a bunch, but eventually report.  Now players appear to have more leverage like in the NBA when teams **** near have to bow down (to superstars at least) every time.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I've been thinking recently that NFL players, this offseason QB's especially, are trying NBA-player tactics of forcing owners' hands and dictating trades. Used go, guys would demand trades, hold out through training camp and get fined a bunch, but eventually report.  Now players appear to have more leverage like in the NBA when teams **** near have to bow down (to superstars at least) every time.

NBA Union is far far more powerful than thier football and baseball counterparts (relatively speaking, baseball players still get payed a trillion dollars to stand around tbf)

My official stated desire for the draft has changed. I don't want to take a quarterback this year, or at least not in the first three rounds. I want to trade down 2-3 times, and then between the bottom of the first round and the top of the second I want to get an edge rusher, an offensive lineman, and a cornerback and/or safety. I would also consider trading up if necessary for one of the DT's likely to go in the second round. That's doable with the leverage we have.

1 minute ago, Serge said:

My official stated desire for the draft has changed. I don't want to take a quarterback this year, or at least not in the first three rounds. I want to trade down 2-3 times, and then between the bottom of the first round and the top of the second I want to get an edge rusher, an offensive lineman, and a cornerback and/or safety. I would also consider trading up if necessary for one of the DT's likely to go in the second round. That's doable with the leverage we have.

I wish there was an elite safety prospect in this class, cause I still think that's our biggest area of need since it's unlikely we can bring back both Neal and Kazee, and only currently have one guy under contract. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

@Sponge following on the discussion of service members KIA In the ME, I'm not sure if you've ever heard this song.  It's a great, heartbreaking, and very respectful song (while also questioning why the solider was sent there in the first place)

"Isbell wrote the song after hearing about the death of Marine Cpl. Matthew D. Conley, who was killed at age 21 in Iraq in February 2006 along with 2nd Lt. Almar L. Fitzgerald when their Humvee rode over an improvised explosive device. At the time of his death, Conley, who was a football star at the Alabama high school Isbell attended, had been scheduled to go home in a matter of weeks to be reunited with his wife, who was pregnant at the time with their first child.

“I knew Matt Conley not very well, he was a few years younger,” Isbell explained to Uncut magazine in 2014. “I was coming off a tour with the (Drive-By) Truckers, and I called my mom and she told me about his funeral, which she’d attended that day, and when I got home I wrote ‘Dress Blues’ in a time it takes to write it down on a piece of paper.”

“Dress Blues” segues between scenes from the hometown funeral procession held for Conley and the hypothetical scenes of his reunion with his family and friends that would have taken place in a fairer world. Isbell finds the telling details in both of these scenarios, details that only a fellow hometown boy would know, such as the “scripture on grocery store signs” or the party that would await his return: “You’d turn twenty-two and we’d celebrate you/ In a bar or a tent by the creek.”

Along the way, Isbell asks a series of questions of his former acquaintance. There is curiosity in Isbell’s tone, even a hint of wonder, when he poses the opening query, “What can you see from your window?” It morphs into concern when he asks, “Did you get your chance to make peace with the man/ Before he sent down his angels for you?” And, finally, a kind futile disgust arises when he asks his final question: “What did they say when they shipped you away/ To fight somebody’s Hollywood war?”

https://americansongwriter.com/dress-blues-jason-isbell-behind-the-song/

thanks man

11 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I thought PHX was a dry heat though.  Years ago I had a case with an attorney who is George Godsey's (former Ga Tech QB, former Texans QB coach and current Dolphins TE coach) brother.  He said he went to Houston for a training camp practice while George was still there several years ago, it was so hot somebody's phone was starting to melt.

It's definitely dry, but 115* is 115*

I love Idahos wierd little warehouse/ airplane hanger stadiums. They make me nostalgic for the days of the golden age of indoor football (mid 2000s) Arena Football's 2nd league in tiny southern and middle America towns.

Southern went to the Kibbiedome a handful of years ago. 

2 hours ago, Aleksandr sportolli said:

Man I love frenches. They're cocky little ****s.

My 16 year old's mom and step-dad got him, allegedly for her step-dad, who is a large dude. They keep buying animals they don't seem to need/can afford, but I digress. 

They also have the American Bulldog who attacked my daughter's kitten (doesn't look like he needs jaw surgery, but his eye is jacked up, he's on medicine for that), and a great pyreneese mix (before my daughter's grandfather had passed in November, he had bought a bunch of acreage on which most of his family, including my daughter's mom and step-dad, were going to build houses on, so they got that dog to be a guard/herd dog), and Gus thinks he's their size.  It was hilarious watching him scamper around with those two big dogs, with his little high pitched bark.

When my wife wanted Waylon (he was named long before we got him), she wanted either a Frenchie or Boston. When comparing prices, we went with a Boston, got Waylon at a discount as he was the last of his litter.

7 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

It's definitely dry, but 115* is 115*

Yup.

In the summer in houston you take a shower and within 3 minutes of going outside you need another shower because the humidity is so **** bad.

Here....in the summer you take a shower and within 3 minutes of going out side your lungs feel like you just snorted a burning charcoal.

Just different types of misery.

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

Yup.

In the summer in houston you take a shower and within 3 minutes of going outside you need another shower because the humidity is so **** bad.

Here....in the summer you take a shower and within 3 minutes of going out side your lungs feel like you just snorted a burning charcoal.

Just different types of misery.

At Auburn I was friends with several chemical engineering majors through my high school classmate/freshman year roommate, they all wound up in the Houston area working for oil and chemical companies.  None of them had to get graduate degrees, but it took longer than normal to graduate because they worked co-ops all through undergrad, they made a ****load of money while in school and even more now.  But living in Houston . . . nah. No thanks.

2 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

JJ looks skinny.

It looks like the Cardinals also play a 3-4, so him losing weight doesn't make sense.

Remember when the Falcons tried to line up Patrick ******* Kerney at OLB when we switched to a 3-4 and they finally gave up and let him play DE again, even though he was undersized for a 3-4? That **** sucked.

1 minute ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

It looks like the Cardinals also play a 3-4, so him losing weight doesn't make sense.

Remember when the Falcons tried to line up Patrick ******* Kerney at OLB when we switched to a 3-4 and they finally gave up and let him play DE again, even though he was undersized for a 3-4? That **** sucked.

Another Cardinal move that reminds me of a Simpson's Episode when someone invented a infant/toddler translation device.  It was when folks were using baby leashes.

They had a toddler translation that said "This leash demeans us both."

Remember Emmitt Smith?  That move was demeaning to him AND the Cardinals.  Is was demeaning to Smith for ending his career with the freaking Cardinals.  And it was demeaning to the Cardinals because of what they gave up to sign a guy way past his prime.

Same here.

Just now, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I think the folks I know that live there are in the suburbs. They’ve had to deal with hurricanes and the recent ice storm to boot. 

I got two buddies that work at KPRC (news station) in Houston, one is a producer. Both of them had their roofs torn off. One roof landed on his neighbor's roof which made it look like a double roof. He showed me the pics. It was a one in a million landing.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The Your 2021 World Series Champions Braves Thread