The Your 2021 World Series Champions Braves Thread

Mr. Hoopah!

19 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Is the squad not a thing anymore? I saw Omar get booed by Somalis and AOC is catching **** for saying getting her nails done is helping the world.

50 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

All these mass shootings and senseless murders.

Who is all in favor of the US bringing back the electric chair?

Just the fear alone will have at least some of them thinking.

The death penalty should be abolished in all 50 states and at the federal level. It’s not a deterrent. 

51 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

we already live in one of the most brutal and merciless of the planet's wealthy societies, and it's clearly not working. ramping up the cruelty even more is just insane. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

The death penalty should be abolished in all 50 states and at the federal level. It’s not a deterrent. 

8 minutes ago, achilles return said:

we already live in one of the most brutal and merciless of the planet's wealthy societies, and it's clearly not working. ramping up the cruelty even more is just insane. 

So how do yall think it should be done then?

Many states been stopped using the death penalty and the ones who still legally do so rarely use it now and just commute many on death row to life.

Also, many prisons aren't really as bad as what they show on TV. Many criminals actually feel safer and live better in some of these prisons then they do out in the world and in the streets.

Something has to be done to make these people fear the consequences of their potential actions.

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

People like that  aren't scared to die.

They go into expecting to be shot and killed by cops.

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

People like that  aren't scared to die.

They go into expecting to be shot and killed by cops.

But why is that? What's the cause for more and more people being like that in today's age?

Exposing too much to the youth through music, television, and social media?

Too many copycats fueled by others due to the news talking about the shooters at nausem and giving them 15 minutes of fame until the next one?

Something else?

I want to get deep into this discussion with everyone.

12 minutes ago, shc said:

All I know is when Ice-T was living in poverty, he was singing about killing cops, and now that he isn’t in poverty, he’s playing a cop on tv telling dudes they’re gay. 

Ice-T used to be an actual pimp and dope dealer. I remember him saying he grew up an orphan and didn't know any of his blood relatives.

I think he had a near death experience in a bad car crash that helped straighten him out a bit. It was on an episode of "Celebrity Close-Calls" some years ago.

14 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

But why is that? What's the cause for more and more people being like that in today's age?

Exposing too much to the youth through music, television, and social media?

Too many copycats fueled by others due to the news talking about the shooters at nausem and giving them 15 minutes of fame until the next one?

Something else?

I want to get deep into this discussion with everyone.

I assume a lot of those shooters are from broken homes one way or another.  Imagine being raised by 2 narcissists or having a parent on drugs and one non existent.  Kids are looking for somewhere to belong and when it doesn’t come, they sink deeper and deeper until they find it or lash out.  

It’s trauma on top of trauma.  if you seek help, you are considered weak due to toxic masculinity.  

6 minutes ago, lostone said:

I assume a lot of those shooters are from broken homes one way or another.  Imagine being raised by 2 narcissists or having a parent on drugs and one non existent.  Kids are looking for somewhere to belong and when it doesn’t come, they sink deeper and deeper until they find it or lash out.  

It’s trauma on top of trauma.  if you seek help, you are considered weak due to toxic masculinity.  

I can see that. But I grew up and seen quite a few people who grew up like that and didn't turn into killers.

.....although I did grow up and new some who did become killers though. They were infatuated with that lifestyle and thought killing meant you were extremely macho or like a lion.

9 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Many states been stopped using the death penalty and the ones who still legally do so rarely use it now and just commute many on death row to life.

Also, many prisons aren't really as bad as what they show on TV. Many criminals actually feel safer and live better in some of these prisons then they do out in the world and in the streets.

Something has to be done to make these people fear the consequences of their potential actions.

in general terms? i would to to the causes of crime in society and work to fix or reduce them. it's not really rocket science - we have one of the highest rates of violent crime among wealthy, industrialized countries in the entire world. why?

i think it is quite demonstrable that our economic system has basically deemed significant portions of the labor force unnecessary, and so our response has been to just criminalize large swaths of the population whose existence we find burdensome. we have entire sections of this country where economic mobility through legal trade and employment is essentially impossible - is it any wonder that people turn to crime?  if hopelessness is your community's only commodity, why do we expect people to respect any sort of social contract? 

the proper response is complex and has to be multi-faceted. you're not going to fix it quickly, or easily. but here's a small list of extremely important public policy ideas that would go a long way to preventing hopelessness:

universal health care (including mental)

demilitarizing the police

ending the war on drugs

abolishing private prisons

transition our entire prison system from focusing on punishment to rehabilitation

13 minutes ago, achilles return said:

in general terms? i would to to the causes of crime in society and work to fix or reduce them. it's not really rocket science - we have one of the highest rates of violent crime among wealthy, industrialized countries in the entire world. why?

i think it is quite demonstrable that our economic system has basically deemed significant portions of the labor force unnecessary, and so our response has been to just criminalize large swaths of the population whose existence we find burdensome. we have entire sections of this country where economic mobility through legal trade and employment is essentially impossible - is it any wonder that people turn to crime?  if hopelessness is your community's only commodity, why do we expect people to respect any sort of social contract? 

the proper response is complex and has to be multi-faceted. you're not going to fix it quickly, or easily. but here's a small list of extremely important public policy ideas that would go a long way to preventing hopelessness:

universal health care (including mental)

demilitarizing the police

ending the war on drugs

abolishing private prisons

transition our entire prison system from focusing on punishment to rehabilitation

See!

Now this is the what the **** I call a discussion!!!

I agree, this will take a very long time strategically to overcome. There will always be bad and evil people, but we can at least steer a percentage of those people on the right path and it's a win.

Still don't understand how we can be the greatest country in the world and not have universal healthcare.

I work for myself and didn't pay out of pocket to get insurance right away once I left the foundry a few years ago and now I'm needing surgery for an abdominal hernia. I can't get the surgery until no earlier than January 1st of next year because the pre-existing insurance package isn't available until November 15th and won't go into affect until January 1st 2023. That sucks because I'll be in much pain until then.

They need to cut out all the deadline BS and make it easier for citizens to get the healthcare they need much sooner.

53 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I’ve never been to prison, but it’s my understanding the kinds of prisons people who kill a bunch of other people get sent to are not very fun. 

Fear of death row didn’t stop Dylan Roof from shooting up a church. The El Paso shooter and Uvalde shooter weren’t worried about it. Same with the Parkland and Pulse shooters. 

Look up The Innocence Project and how many death row inmates are exonerated by DNA evidence. 

We have an access to guns problem and lack of mental health problem in this country. Turning the death penalty to 11 won’t stop a single shooting. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I’ve never been to prison, but it’s my understanding the kinds of prisons people who kill a bunch of other people get sent to are not very fun. 

Fear of death row didn’t stop Dylan Roof from shooting up a church. The El Paso shooter and Uvalde shooter weren’t worried about it. Same with the Parkland and Pulse shooters. 

Look up The Innocence Project and how many death row inmates are exonerated by DNA evidence. 

We have an access to guns problem and lack of mental health problem in this country. Turning the death penalty to 11 won’t stop a single shooting. 

You make a huge point about the amount of innocent people who are put on death row.

Plus the judicial system is so inconsistent when it comes to punishment for the same or similar crimes.