The Your 2021 World Series Champions Braves Thread

Mr. Hoopah!

I think when thinking of young white men born into right-wing families who are driven at a young age to post, it's important to remember that, beneath any kind of ideology they presently support, they don't actually know anything yet, and they're posting because they feel the need to push back against liberal culture. In general they're less rhetorically agile than forum leftists, but more than a match for old ****libs like the ones who watch Maddow. 

I'm just saying, there's gonna be some population of young white right-wingers who are going to be driven to explore Great Replacement Theory, some because they keep seeing it pop up in their feed as something liberals hate, and some others because they posted something they've posted for years and some impossibly smug leftists and/or mentally incompetent ****libs accused them of pushing Great Replacement Theory.

I wish I knew the size of that population. I wish there was a way to find out. That particular population worries me because it's already pointing in the direction of right-wing radicalization. I do think we can do better than actively pretending that that's not going to be an issue because right-wing media and Conservative Christian culture are such overwhelming problems by themselves that they overrule considering the impact of anything else.

1 hour ago, Baby Dik Dik said:

Republicans are "better" at messagimg because they have an enormous natural advantage.  Its incredibly easy to **** on something, rather than promote policy.  Humans are stupid and fearful.  On the other side of the spectrum, people are tasked with changing people's minds, which seems to be incredibly difficult to do.  People hate change.

As for this stupid argument... Trump knew how to play the media.  But i wouldn't attribute his success to him.  We have Roger Stone to thank for that.  They know how to exploit the media, as well as their electorate (see first paragraph).  

Anyway, now that i've solved everything can we talk about something else?  

1 hour ago, eatcorn said:

One can simultaneously believe that Trump was manipulating the media, and that Serge's suggestions about how he was doing so were ridiculous.

Right. It's one thing to say Trump is media savvy. It's another thing entirely to assert, anytime there is a report about Trump saying/doing something dumb or impulsive or irrational, that actually he wanted his dumb impulsive irrational thing to be reported to get the lib media to talk about it so the right-wing media could use it to support Trump or whatever, and maybe he didn't actually mean the dumb impulsive irrational thing he was just manipulating the media to his advantage. The latter is what serge liked to do frequently. 

Sure, the lib media/right-wing media fixation helped him (as did the whole Comey fiasco, having Hillary as his opponent, and dealing with a unique backlash to our fist black president). And sure, he used it to his advantage, even intentionally sometimes. But also he's a guy who for his entire life has said/done dumb impulsive irrational things and it's likely that in many of those instances in office or on the campaign trail he did it again then benefited when it was subsequently reported. Not through any intentionality, but because our corporate media is dog**** when reporting on politics, generally.

9 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

Right. It's one thing to say Trump is media savvy. It's another thing entirely to assert, anytime there is a report about Trump saying/doing something dumb or impulsive or irrational, that actually he wanted his dumb impulsive irrational thing to be reported to get the lib media to talk about it so the right-wing media could use it to support Trump or whatever, and maybe he didn't actually mean the dumb impulsive irrational thing he was just manipulating the media to his advantage. The latter is what serge liked to do frequently. 

Sure, the lib media/right-wing media fixation helped him (as did the whole Comey fiasco, having Hillary as his opponent, and dealing with a unique backlash to our fist black president). And sure, he used it to his advantage, even intentionally sometimes. But also he's a guy who for his entire life has said/done dumb impulsive irrational things and it's likely that in many of those instances in office or on the campaign trail he did it again then benefited when it was subsequently reported. Not through any intentionality, but because our corporate media is dog**** when reporting on politics, generally.

Do you think there were documents flushed down the toilet the entire time he was in office, and Maggie Haberman reported on it for the first time this year, coincidentally a few weeks after the story broke that he'd taken classified documents from the White House?

5 minutes ago, Serge said:

Do you think there were documents flushed down the toilet the entire time he was in office, and Maggie Haberman reported on it for the first time this year, coincidentally a few weeks after the story broke that he'd taken classified documents from the White House?

I mean, is that something that really happened because it's liberal media canon, even though it's very obviously a ******** leak Trump used to deflect away from the serious accusations? 

1 minute ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Ditto. Only time I voted for a Republican.

I voted for Romney in 2012.  I cannot, for the life of me, remember if I voted at all in 2008, it was my first semester of law school and I was three hours away from home, I don't recall going back in person to vote, and I can't remember if I did an absentee ballot.

What I do clearly remember that fall, like it was yesterday, was the moment I stopped considering myself a republican, when McCain announced Palin as his running mate. I was in the break room at the school and saw it on tv.  But I still voted for Romney four years later, then Gary Johnson in 2016, and did not vote for a democrat for president until 2020.

2 minutes ago, achilles return said:

i always laugh whenever i think of that old line about how i need to 'just wait until you start working/paying taxes/become an adult, then you'll see'.

everything that's happened in my adult life has just made me more radical and jokerfied 

Same. The more money I make, the more I think that others should have a decent life.

The odd part is, the broker I was, the more right leaning I was.

11 minutes ago, achilles return said:

i stopped calling myself a libertarian around '10, and i didn't go full marxist until '14 or '15, i think. it was definitely after college.

That explains the Nascar, assault rifle, and the mustang.

3 hours ago, Serge said:

eatcorn thinks he won an argument about MSNBC and the Great Replacement Theory because I haven't tried finding old quotes to "prove" a purely tangential statement about the people here specifically not thinking of the right as strategic thinkers. I don't owe him pretending his brain isn't broke. He's only responding to me now because he finally found an opportunity to talk down to me.

Gee, then I guess the smugness shot was uncalled for.  Thanks for correcting that.