The Your 2021 World Series Champions Braves Thread

Mr. Hoopah!

As Covid-19 surged last winter, the Trump White House was torn between competing factions on how to manage the pandemic, including whether to let the virus spread unchecked to reach herd immunity, former coronavirus response coordinator Deborah Birx told congressional investigators.

Birx and other doctors pressed the Trump administration to intensify efforts to control disease spread, according to portions of testimony released Tuesday by the Coronavirus Crisis Select Subcommittee. But then-President Donald Trump’s hand-picked coronavirus adviser, Scott Atlas, had rapidly consolidated power on a platform that downplayed the seriousness of Covid to most Americans, squeezing out Birx and other top government health officials.

“And so I made it clear that I would not attend meetings where he would be present kind of to create a line in the sand,” Birx told congressional investigators.

“I just felt that it gave people in the White House an alternative position and data source that would allow them to say, again, here’s Debbie Birx, a federal employee for 40 years, here’s Scott Atlas, an academic, a physician, a thinker versus a technocrat; and I just felt like that was going to make it even more difficult to get across how severe I felt the fall and winter was going to be. And it was my concern over the fall and winter that I didn’t want a 180 degree voice present at critical decision-making meetings.”

On 10/25/2021 at 2:08 PM, Leon Troutsky said:

“Facebook’s senior executives interfered to allow US politicians and celebrities to post whatever they wanted on its social network despite pleas from employees to stop, leaked internal documents suggest,” the Financial Times reports.

“Employees claim in the documents that while Facebook has long insisted that it is politically neutral, it allowed rightwing figures to break rules designed to curb misinformation and harmful content, after being stung by accusations of bias from conservatives.”

Been off here for a minute because my new job doesn't really let up but this Facebook conversation is really interesting to me. Unpopular opinion but I outside of ramping up some of its current misinformation and mitigation strategies or completely shutting down, I don't think there's much Facebook can do to curb the misinformation and hate speech on its platform.

Facebook is just a medium so if someone's timeline is inundated with misinformation and racist crap, I'm inclined to believe that's the exact type of **** they want to see. Those same people  would have been forwarding chain letters and spreading conspiracy theories through conversation if Facebook didn't exist. Worse yet they take any effort to censor or combat their BS as proof that they're right. They wear those "Flagged for Misinformation" notifications as a badge of honor. That's a problem more censorship cannot fix.

When it comes to political misinformation, I actually think Facebook's argument makes sense. The FCC makes the rules for what's allowed in political speech and if they'll let politicians lie in TV ads, why should we expect Facebook to voluntarily go above and beyond what the FCC requires? Why aren't we putting that same burden on physical media? Or better yet, why not request that the FCC have more stringent standards for political speech?

And I say all this as someone who's seen the other side of things. I don't know if I mentioned on this board but I worked as a Facebook fact checker on the side when I was saving up for my wedding. There's a lot of manpower thrown at trying to stop this **** but when you have a segment of the population heavily motivated to throw as much **** out there as possible, it's hard for any entity to keep up. Facebook's problems are a broader societal problem and while I understand why they're the poster boy given their size and scale, I think we miss the broader picture by focusing too much on them.

48 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

So just gloss over that facts and play whataboutism regarding the NBA, China, and slave labor when the Convo wasn't even a out politicians, but about several NBA players verses a corporations profits, slave labor,and China. Anyone who argues this is a Red Foreman compilation.

Slave labor in china is bad and I don't support the NBA punishing players or coaches who speak out against it. I think we need to eradicate the economic systems that continue to prey on slave labor and underpaid labor generally. 

Now go back to sucking off the politicians and billionaires who do everything in their power to keep those systems in place.

1 hour ago, bdog 29 said:

Been off here for a minute because my new job doesn't really let up but this Facebook conversation is really interesting to me. Unpopular opinion but I outside of ramping up some of its current misinformation and mitigation strategies or completely shutting down, I don't think there's much Facebook can do to curb the misinformation and hate speech on its platform.

Facebook is just a medium so if someone's timeline is inundated with misinformation and racist crap, I'm inclined to believe that's the exact type of **** they want to see. Those same people  would have been forwarding chain letters and spreading conspiracy theories through conversation if Facebook didn't exist. Worse yet they take any effort to censor or combat their BS as proof that they're right. They wear those "Flagged for Misinformation" notifications as a badge of honor. That's a problem more censorship cannot fix.

When it comes to political misinformation, I actually think Facebook's argument makes sense. The FCC makes the rules for what's allowed in political speech and if they'll let politicians lie in TV ads, why should we expect Facebook to voluntarily go above and beyond what the FCC requires? Why aren't we putting that same burden on physical media? Or better yet, why not request that the FCC have more stringent standards for political speech?

And I say all this as someone who's seen the other side of things. I don't know if I mentioned on this board but I worked as a Facebook fact checker on the side when I was saving up for my wedding. There's a lot of manpower thrown at trying to stop this **** but when you have a segment of the population heavily motivated to throw as much **** out there as possible, it's hard for any entity to keep up. Facebook's problems are a broader societal problem and while I understand why they're the poster boy given their size and scale, I think we miss the broader picture by focusing too much on them.

The thing that makes Facebook and some other social media outlets different, though, is that their algorithms push information onto people that they otherwise wouldn’t see.  This is done in the “news” feed and also the “recommendations”.  And a ton of Facebook’s own research shows that their algorithm prioritizes and is responsible for spreading much of this disinformation.

The other problem with Facebook is that they take a “content” approach to moderating.  So a person can post 100 anti-vax posts and each individual post gets flagged.  They rarely go after the person spreading the misinformation.  I forget the detailed, but one of the conspiracy theories about the 2020 election, I think, had the overwhelming majority of dangerous lies originated from around a dozen people.  They easily could have tossed those users and gotten rid of a huge amount of content.  And now we learn that Facebook carved out exemptions to their rules for celebrities and famous people, mostly rightwingers.  

Facebook could do a lot more to crack down on this and minimize the harm.  But the company’s response is always retroactive — after great harm has been done, like in Myanmar — and always piecemeal.  It’s why so many employees are speaking out and why a lot of their internal studies and research is getting leaked right now.  

Coup coup coup…

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) told Real America’s Voice the Capitol riots on January 6 seeking to overturn the election are what America was founded upon.

Said Greene: “If you think about what our Declaration of Independence says, it says to overthrow tyrants.”

She added: “So there’s a clear difference between January 6th and the Marxist-communist revolution that antifa, BLM, Democrat ground troops waged on the American people in 2020.”

——

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The Your 2021 World Series Champions Braves Thread