The Braves Battle to the NLCS Thread

Just now, Corn Pop said:

I’m pretty familiar with rural Georgia. What they have a lot of is minimum wage jobs.

America in general has a lot of minimum wage jobs, there's nothing special about rural Georgia. I can look right now and find LOTS of trade unions all over south Georgia. All you got to do is make a call and see which fields of apprenticeship you might find interest in. 

The deal is, you can find a job. You just have to let go of the ego of what you're willing to do. 

8 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

How many electricians, plumbers, and mortgage servicers do they need in the parts of rural Georgia that @Aleksandr sportolli and me drive thru for work, or that town where @lostone’s in-laws live?

That's a different issue altogether. Understand that I'm certainly not in the "you should just pack up and move to where the jobs are" camp, I know it's not that simple.

With that said, you can't expect jobs to just pop up in an area because that's where you live. When I was in Indiana, the job market was either go work in some warehouse/factory for $8/hr, or work in a restaurant or bar. There were almost zero IT jobs. Trades had taken a major hit. I was a diesel tech, couldn't find work for over a year, and the offers I did get were for $12-15/hr (I was making close to $80k before the recession). So, I packed up and moved to Phoenix. Had a job within a few weeks (I was working from home for Angieslist.com when I moved). I've been heavily recruited in every industry that I've worked in after the move, and settled in Mortgage because I found a very, very lucrative niche.

What I'm really saying is that if the jobs aren't near you, you have a few options. All require you to actually do something though, whether that be learning, moving, commuting, etc. And I know it's easier said that done, but things like remote work/telecommuting are more common than ever, and will continue to be. Resources to educate yourself are cheaper/faster/easier to access than they ever have been. And frankly, the transition from one line of work that doesn't pay a lot to one that does is easier than most people know or think. There's been numerous examples of industries dying and people being trained in something else (i.e. in TN/KY, there were a number of coal miners retrained in writing code).

There are options, but it isn't without effort.

My uncle runs a plumbing and electrical business out of Wanye county and this is as busy as hes ever been. (I've made a little side cash here and there but thats a family connection I use and I am by no means a professional or even intermediate nor is this how I make a living). Ive nothing else to contribute to this convo it just sprung to mind

30 minutes ago, Sponge said:

At least it's a paycheck that will put food in your children's stomach vs. crying on twitter waiting for a moneybag to fall out of the sky.

Wait, I’m just jumping in here, so maybe I’m missing something.

Is this some kind of take that the jobs that are available are really ****ty jobs that people shouldn’t have to do?
corn pop gives me **** all the time as being the biggest ******* liberal elitist on the board. But my son codes and I can sure as **** snake a toilet.
****, I can change a toilet.

i’ve told my elitist college want to be journalist older son that he should learn plumbing If he wants to be a writer.

So what exactly does is the take here?

Edited by duckettpleaze

23 minutes ago, Aleksandr sportolli said:

I just can't agree man. Considering the state of income inequality in the US rivaling third world countries, the absolute ****ty workers rights we have, and being in a deep recession for the second time in 13 years I just have. I interest in talking about Gen z's work ethic and framing the conversation around that. And that's what was happening. These kids just aren't working hard enough for it.....as if it's just Gen Z who is being affected.

I'm not saying most of what you're acting like I'm saying though. I agree that income inequality in the US is off the rails, I agree that worker rights are often trivial to nonexistent (and even in a lot of these trade jobs you're mostly on your own), and I never said Gen Z isn't "working hard enough." I've said, multiple times, that it isn't even the majority of younger people this applies to.

Literally all I've vented about is that there are a lot of young people who straight up do not want to work, and that people don't cook their own food (a minor gripe), and that people don't know where to find better paying jobs. I've also said minimum wage right now is obscene and that this whole "young people" argument persists across generations, and tbh I feel like that's more the fault of an education system that doesn't prepare kids for reality and parents who don't know how to foster these things (or don't have the time, often because of this cyclical work-yourself-to-death culture, or the desire, and the kids know they have a fallback). 

It's a complicated issue and I feel like it's impossible to point out the truth in either "side" of it without people making a ****load of assumptions. That, or idiots think you're playing "both sides" because you say there's merit to both when realistically it's possible to incorporate aspects of both. It's not "minimum wage raise OR people are lazy." It's "raise min wage, change focuses of our current education system and reallocate funding to provide better wages for public teachers, offer more resources to both parents AND children, incl career counseling for high schoolers, not acting like bachelor's degrees or immediate work are the only paths out of high school," etc.

2 minutes ago, duckettpleaze said:

Wait, I’m just jumping in here, so maybe I’m missing something.

Is this some kind of take that the jobs that are available are really ****ty jobs that people shouldn’t have to do?
corn pop gives me **** all the time as being the biggest ******* liberal elitist on the board. But my son codes and I can sure as **** snake a toilet.
****, I can change a toilet.

i’ve told my elitist college want to be journalist older son that he should learn plumbing If he wants to be a writer.

So what exactly does is the take here?

Tell your sons to get some of this. It’s made specifically to cover up the smell of smoke

NyRU5qN.jpg

2 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I'm not saying most of what you're acting like I'm saying though. I agree that income inequality in the US is off the rails, I agree that worker rights are often trivial to nonexistent (and even in a lot of these trade jobs you're mostly on your own), and I never said Gen Z isn't "working hard enough." I've said, multiple times, that it isn't even the majority of younger people this applies to.

Literally all I've vented about is that there are a lot of young people who straight up do not want to work, and that people don't cook their own food (a minor gripe), and that people don't know where to find better paying jobs. I've also said minimum wage right now is obscene and that this whole "young people" argument persists across generations, and tbh I feel like that's more the fault of an education system that doesn't prepare kids for reality and parents who don't know how to foster these things (or don't have the time, often because of this cyclical work-yourself-to-death culture, or the desire, and the kids know they have a fallback). 

It's a complicated issue and I feel like it's impossible to point out the truth in either "side" of it without people making a ****load of assumptions. That, or idiots think you're playing "both sides" because you say there's merit to both when realistically it's possible to incorporate aspects of both. It's not "minimum wage raise OR people are lazy." It's "raise min wage to 15/hr, change focuses of our current education system and reallocate funding to provide better wages for public teachers, offer more resources to both parents AND children, incl career counseling for high schoolers, not acting like bachelor's degrees or immediate work are the only paths out of high school," etc.

To be clear I wasn't saying you were. It was just a general tone of the conversation and it's a conversation I have heard a million times.

To drastically change the subject.

The GF and I are going to look at another rescue dog today.

She has been wanting another one for a while and while I have concerns about having another dog when Stephen had been the only dog in the house for almost a year, it would make her happy so I am going for it.

8 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

To drastically change the subject.

The GF and I are going to look at another rescue dog today.

She has been wanting another one for a while and while I have concerns about having another dog when Stephen had been the only dog in the house for almost a year, it would make her happy so I am going for it.

Why haven't you posted pics of Stephen before?

Im having a hard time seeing how believing that everybody from factory workers to grocery store workers should be paid more is being entitled.

Getting more plumbers and skilled tradesmen in the field is something that would help but it does nothing to address powerful entities that have used their power and influence to hoard the money for themselves and cut the working class off.

10 minutes ago, Sponge said:

I've already had to stop myself twice this morning from going to to smoke. I'm fighting the urge as we speck but I know I gotta quit.

I mostly smoke outdoors. Over the past five years or so I’ve been spending probably like 4-5 hours outside everyday on average and this week the gnats and mosquitoes returned. I thought I had at least a couple more weeks to enjoy the winter weather. I always cherish late fall and winter when bugs aren’t trying to fly into my mucus membranes.

50 minutes ago, Sponge said:

I knew a shady tree electrician that got one of his *** cheeks blown off while being electrocuted. 

I worked with a guy who worked on AC units on the side. He made the worst mistake you can make when working around electricity and let his friend tha he was helping out go and kill it at the breaker. His friend turned the wrong one off and the guy I knew left behind two daughters and a wife. Think he was probably only like 27-28 at the time.

20 minutes ago, AF89 said:

That's a really nice picture 

Thanks....it is one of my favorite ones.

He is a good dog....we are fortunate to have him. He was on a kill list before the foster we adopted him from had him.

He has been through some stuff in life so we are happy to give him a good home.The one that we are going to see today has had similar issues so we will see how that shakes out.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The Braves Battle to the NLCS Thread