The Baby Dik Dik Job Stories Thread

Wherein Eric Cantor admits that the Republican Party has been flat out lying to their base the whole time...

In the fall of 2013, in the middle of what was at the time the second-longest government shutdown in American history, Republican leaders in Congress kept asking each other one question: “How did we end up here?” That is also the question I have had in recent weeks, especially as I witnessed the violent attack on our Capitol and our democracy on Jan. 6.

The answer is the same in both cases: an unwillingness to speak truth to power. In businesses, employees speak truth to power when they deliver unwelcome facts to their bosses. In government, appointed officials do that when they tell elected leaders something they don’t want to hear. But in a democracy, the people are the ultimate source of power. Our elected officials work for us, and they fail us when they decline to tell us truths that we, the people, don’t want to hear. Even worse, they fail us when they set up false expectations we desperately want to believe.

Back in 2013, the expectation was that the Republican-controlled House of Representatives could force the Democratic-controlled Senate to pass — and compel President Barack Obama to sign — a repeal of his signature health-care initiative. This false narrative started with a few outside groups like Heritage Action and Tea Party Express arguing that the barrier to repealing Obamacare wasn’t the president; it was elected Republicans who were unwilling to fight hard enough. These groups purposely  ramped up expectations, overpromising, even knowing that the end result would under-deliver.

At first, this was a political headache for me and my colleagues: Few elected Republicans wanted to spend much time or political capital refuting people who were part of the base. But then a small group of lawmakers in the House and the Senate, led by Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), started telling the base what they longed to hear: that Republicans could indeed defund Obamacare simply by insisting on it as part of a larger annual government spending bill. These members, and indeed every other elected Republican, knew better, but very few were willing to say so. I had dozens of meetings with individual lawmakers, as well as group sessions, imploring my colleagues to take a different approach, because shutdowns don’t work. Often, these same members would leave the meetings and go on cable TV to talk about how leadership wasn’t fighting hard enough, and only they were. And the shutdown was born.

This pattern repeated itself at a new level around the 2020 election. “Stop the Steal” narratives about widespread fraud, albeit without evidence, sought to undermine the results. Bloggers and certain friendly radio and TV shows didn’t need to worry about providing defensible facts or being confronted with the truth. Soon, President Donald Trump was talking about how the election could be overturned and awarded to the “true” winner — him — if only a secretary of state . . . or a governor . . . or the judges he appointed . . . or congressional Republicans . . . or the vice president would fight like he wanted them to. It was ultimately all political posturing, and I honestly don’t know if the president believed the story or not — but many in the GOP base did. Two-thirds of voters who are Republican or lean Republican have been misled into thinking that there is solid evidence of widespread fraud in the election, a Washington Post-ABC News poll found this month.

To my fellow Republicans who hope that Trump’s departure from office will end this cycle, I would remind them that it started long before he descended the escalator in Trump Tower more than five years ago. And left unconfronted, it will continue long into the future.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• Southern California Liar

• Leon Troutsky

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fellas I'm fully vaccinated as of today.

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Maybe they don't go into shorts so heavy? Maybe spend what you can afford? They should cut out starbucks each week.

Trust me man, I don't really give a **** about these hedge funds losing billions on this. They got too greedy and they're rightfully suffering for it. But at the same time, I'm not gonna act like the people pumping this up are benevolent entities making some grand point about capitalism. They're just as greedy as the hedge funds right now and they're fooling a bunch of regular people to gamble in hopes of making quick money.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Jewish space lasers don't start forest fires, they repeatedly remind you that your cousins are more successful than you and got married to a nice Jewish girl before you did.

I've gotta say that when my cousin was more successful than me (that changed) and got married to a nice Jewish girl 10 years before I did, my grandmother never said a word.  However, when my cousin's wife was making everyone crazy even before their divorce, she did say that I "would have to do better".  But in a totally supportive way.

My grandmother was pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Wherein Eric Cantor admits that the Republican Party has been flat out lying to their base the whole time...

In the fall of 2013, in the middle of what was at the time the second-longest government shutdown in American history, Republican leaders in Congress kept asking each other one question: “How did we end up here?” That is also the question I have had in recent weeks, especially as I witnessed the violent attack on our Capitol and our democracy on Jan. 6.

The answer is the same in both cases: an unwillingness to speak truth to power. In businesses, employees speak truth to power when they deliver unwelcome facts to their bosses. In government, appointed officials do that when they tell elected leaders something they don’t want to hear. But in a democracy, the people are the ultimate source of power. Our elected officials work for us, and they fail us when they decline to tell us truths that we, the people, don’t want to hear. Even worse, they fail us when they set up false expectations we desperately want to believe.

Back in 2013, the expectation was that the Republican-controlled House of Representatives could force the Democratic-controlled Senate to pass — and compel President Barack Obama to sign — a repeal of his signature health-care initiative. This false narrative started with a few outside groups like Heritage Action and Tea Party Express arguing that the barrier to repealing Obamacare wasn’t the president; it was elected Republicans who were unwilling to fight hard enough. These groups purposely  ramped up expectations, overpromising, even knowing that the end result would under-deliver.

At first, this was a political headache for me and my colleagues: Few elected Republicans wanted to spend much time or political capital refuting people who were part of the base. But then a small group of lawmakers in the House and the Senate, led by Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), started telling the base what they longed to hear: that Republicans could indeed defund Obamacare simply by insisting on it as part of a larger annual government spending bill. These members, and indeed every other elected Republican, knew better, but very few were willing to say so. I had dozens of meetings with individual lawmakers, as well as group sessions, imploring my colleagues to take a different approach, because shutdowns don’t work. Often, these same members would leave the meetings and go on cable TV to talk about how leadership wasn’t fighting hard enough, and only they were. And the shutdown was born.

This pattern repeated itself at a new level around the 2020 election. “Stop the Steal” narratives about widespread fraud, albeit without evidence, sought to undermine the results. Bloggers and certain friendly radio and TV shows didn’t need to worry about providing defensible facts or being confronted with the truth. Soon, President Donald Trump was talking about how the election could be overturned and awarded to the “true” winner — him — if only a secretary of state . . . or a governor . . . or the judges he appointed . . . or congressional Republicans . . . or the vice president would fight like he wanted them to. It was ultimately all political posturing, and I honestly don’t know if the president believed the story or not — but many in the GOP base did. Two-thirds of voters who are Republican or lean Republican have been misled into thinking that there is solid evidence of widespread fraud in the election, a Washington Post-ABC News poll found this month.

To my fellow Republicans who hope that Trump’s departure from office will end this cycle, I would remind them that it started long before he descended the escalator in Trump Tower more than five years ago. And left unconfronted, it will continue long into the future.

I just heard someone mention this morning that The Democratic Party would survive Trump, however it is a different story for the GOP. 

What you just stated is just that occurring.

3 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

No it’s not!!!! 

They don’t have toilet doors and they have poor circulation in them! :lol:

His cell mate is gonna kill him, if his gases doesn’t kill him first!!! 🤣

Can you think of a better natural jail defense if you can't beat the **** out of the guy your first day?  Have the smelliest ***  hole in the joint!

I had a roommate in college with major gastro issues, he stank up the entire apartment every time he took a grumper, and his farts smelled like rotted meat and eggs. Would **** near Major Payne you every time.

2 hours ago, bdog 29 said:

That's an interesting idea. I feel like that'd have to be regulation that comes from the government though because any brokerage that implements that themself would get their lunch eaten. 

And I'm happy for the people who did well with GME (I have a friend who made over $20K) but I'm ready for this to end. Hedge funds having to liquidate their other positions to cover their shorts are causing the entire market to drop. 

And I also think it's ridiculous that people are acting like this is some example of the little guy beating the big guy. For one a lot of these people aren't "little guys". The guy on wallstreetbets who started this whole thing put $50K on it last year. A "little guy" doesn't have $50K to drop on a company on the verge of bankruptcy. Plus the hype around this has caused a lot of regular people to get in who are absolutely going to lose their shirts when this goes back down to Earth. At this point, holding GME stock is a game of hot potato. When it drops it's going to damage a lot of regular people. 

oh no not the poor markets

between this and your comments on landlords i'm starting to get mighty suspicious 

1 minute ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Can you think of a better natural jail defense if you can't beat the **** out of the guy your first day?  Have the smelliest ***  hole in the joint!

I had a roommate in college with major gastro issues, he stank up the entire apartment every time he took a grumper, and his farts smelled like rotted meat and eggs. Would **** near Major Payne you every time.

Wait.... You had an Apartment in College!!? You rich kid, you! :lol:

1 hour ago, bdog 29 said:

Trust me man, I don't really give a **** about these hedge funds losing billions on this. They got too greedy and they're rightfully suffering for it. But at the same time, I'm not gonna act like the people pumping this up are benevolent entities making some grand point about capitalism. They're just as greedy as the hedge funds right now and they're fooling a bunch of regular people to gamble in hopes of making quick money.

the grand point about capitalism is in seeing how the entire system reacts to a bunch of rich guys losing money

3 minutes ago, achilles return said:

between this and your comments on landlords i'm starting to get mighty suspicious 

Seee I’ve been holding onto VXX, so if the market tanks I am somewhat covered.  I don’t care, make these hedge funds pay!!!

the whole "oh no real people will be left holding the bag" horse**** from whiny dudes on cnbc is utterly disingenuous - they don't actually care about that at all, given that the regular drive and production of capitalism has been destroying the lives of millions for decades. the destruction of unions, progressive income tax cuts, vampire venture capital, derivatives speculation, the freedom of capital to just fly away to southeast asia and leave working people here with absolutely nothing - all of these things are in capitalism's completely standard operating procedure and they don't give a **** who it hurts. 

**** them.

2 minutes ago, achilles return said:

Guess it's time to update the chart.

And once again I don't really care about the hedge funds. **** them. But what's going on with GME right now is a big *** Ponzi scheme which is going to ruin a lot of people. I won't apologize for recognizing that and not praising the people perpetuating it as modern-day Robin Hoods.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I was spoiled for sure, never had to live in a dorm. I imagine roommates are even worse in a dorm than an apartment.

Since I was in a dorm my entire time, I wouldn’t know. 

But at least after my freshman year, we got to pick our dorm mates so that made it a lot easier!

now i'm all worked up thinking about how these ******* sold us "too big to fail!" to get trillions in interest-free loans from the federal government while turning around and foreclosing on millions of home-owners before getting their sycophants to go on fox business and say "these people shouldn't have been spending outside their means!"

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The Baby Dik Dik Job Stories Thread