The Baby Dik Dik Job Stories Thread

6 minutes ago, lostone said:

Man imma blame banks for giving out the loans.  My question is what is the bank supposed to do when someone asks for a heloc and they can’t afford it?  What should be the criteria to deny a person these options to buy stuff with their equity?  I’m not saying banks are right, but I ask what do you propose is put in place to stop this from happening?  

Would consumer protection deny the consumer or enable them to take out this loan?  Will new rules be put in place to make sure the person can afford the loan?

I feel this isn’t as easy as it is being made out to be.

So, banks do have some rules set up to "protect" and inform the consumer. CFPB will smack them in the **** if they go against them.

With that said, the rules are constantly changing. For example, a few years back, you had to put down 5% for a conventional loan. 3.5% for FHA. That has changed. There's also some rules about maximum debt to income ratio, and "Loan To Value".

Problem is, LTV is subjective based on property value. Appraisers should be unbiased in their assessment, but almost always, the value comes in above or at the estimate/proposed loan amount.

And let's say you want to pull equity out to pay off bills. You could pay it at closing, but most just pull the money and say they'll pay it after the fact. A lot don't, and there's no repercussions for not paying it as long as your ratios are ok.

I had to yell at my brother the other day. He pulled equity to work on the house, bill came in significantly less than he pulled out, so he was plotting a bunch of purchases. He ended up paying off a car instead of blowing it.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• Southern California Liar

• Leon Troutsky

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fellas I'm fully vaccinated as of today.

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, lostone said:

Man imma blame banks for giving out the loans.  My question is what is the bank supposed to do when someone asks for a heloc and they can’t afford it?  What should be the criteria to deny a person these options to buy stuff with their equity?  I’m not saying banks are right, but I ask what do you propose is put in place to stop this from happening?  

Would consumer protection deny the consumer or enable them to take out this loan?  Will new rules be put in place to make sure the person can afford the loan?

I feel this isn’t as easy as it is being made out to be.

It isn't easy. Especially now, after more measures were put in place to make it less easy. The problem and bubble was moreso caused by people buying property, renting it out, and depending on that for income while buying more property - that and people living above their means by continually selling and reselling while depending on equity to upgrade. 

For the record, bailing out the banks was dumb. But so is acting like it was poor everyman who lost their life savings in the crash. It was mostly greedy and overextended landlords.

17 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

It isn't easy. Especially now, after more measures were put in place to make it less easy. The problem and bubble was moreso caused by people buying property, renting it out, and depending on that for income while buying more property - that and people living above their means by continually selling and reselling while depending on equity to upgrade. 

For the record, bailing out the banks was dumb. But so is acting like it was poor everyman who lost their life savings in the crash. It was mostly greedy and overextended landlords.

What did wage growth look like for "poor everyman" in the recession that followed? What were unemployment numbers like for "poor everyman"? Acting like it only hit greedy landlords is the dumb position.

You tend to jump into these conversations calling things dumb pretty frequently now.

Fellas, I have quickly discovered that sales is not for everyone lol. But I think it might be for me. Not that I necessarily enjoy knocking on people’s doors (hate it), but I love meeting different people and I’m selling something hugely beneficial that I completely believe in. So it’s fine. A lot of people don’t know anything about solar and I’m learning that a lot of people have big misconceptions also. It’s awesome to run into people who are open to talking and having a conversation. Some people truly do suck though.

I talked to one guy for like 10 seconds the other day and he started trying to argue with me for absolutely no reason. Called me dishonest, which admittedly bothered me a lot, but I didn’t argue. Told him I’m not and moved on with a “have a nice day” when he told me honesty pays off.

It’s kinda fun to be new at something again and failing though. Makes for the best learning experiences. At least that’s what I’m telling myself lol. But it’s pretty true. Just trying to be humble enough to better myself and be successful.

Please don’t be ****ty to sales people. It’s not an easy job but it is necessary. Most have already been told no a hundred times that day and that in itself can be highly discouraging. Also realize some people truly need what they are trying to sell. In our case we often immediately lower people’s utility bills by like $80+ (including what they pay for the system) and relieve a ton of stress about making ends meet. And our management honestly stresses being honest with people. Not every salesman is some con artist trying to rip you off. Be nice!

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

Fellas, I have quickly discovered that sales is not for everyone lol. But I think it might be for me. Not that I necessarily enjoy knocking on people’s doors (hate it), but I love meeting different people and I’m selling something hugely beneficial that I completely believe in. So it’s fine. A lot of people don’t know anything about solar and I’m learning that a lot of people have big misconceptions also. It’s awesome to run into people who are open to talking and having a conversation. Some people truly do suck though.

I talked to one guy for like 10 seconds the other day and he started trying to argue with me for absolutely no reason. Called me dishonest, which admittedly bothered me a lot, but I didn’t argue. Told him I’m not and moved on with a “have a nice day” when he told me honesty pays off.

It’s kinda fun to be new at something again and failing though. Makes for the best learning experiences. At least that’s what I’m telling myself lol. But it’s pretty true. Just trying to be humble enough to better myself and be successful.

Please don’t be ****ty to sales people. It’s not an easy job but it is necessary. Most have already been told no a hundred times that day and that in itself can be highly discouraging. Also realize some people truly need what they are trying to sell. In our case we often immediately lower people’s utility bills by like $80+ (including what they pay for the system) and relieve a ton of stress about making ends meet. And our management honestly stresses being honest with people. Not every salesman is some con artist trying to rip you off. Be nice!

Man, just be honest with people and you will go far.  Also I hope your solar company has the panels and inverters under the same company.  That was a deciding factor for me.  They all cost relatively the same.  I also asked how much it would cost to move the panels as well.  Funny enough I went with the company who had the better origin story as well... PES said they were from Florida so I should have just moped them away because of that :D 

5 minutes ago, Southern California Liar said:

What did wage growth look like for "poor everyman"? What were unemployment numbers like for "poor everyman"? Acting like it only hit greedy landlords is the dumb position.

You tend to jump into these conversations calling things dumb pretty frequently now.

You tend to say a bunch of dumb stuff, so it comes with the territory. And you strawman like crazy, even in posts you quote. "Acting like it only hit greedy landlords" when I say "mostly?" Tying wage growth and unemployment to house purchases when it was more of a trickle down from the financial troubles of people making more? Correlation not being the same as causation is basic as it gets.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/economy/reports/2017/04/13/430424/2008-housing-crisis/

Most of the people targeted by predatory loans had existing mortgages. First time buyers were not targeted as frequently. There's more of this available all over the place if you actually looked instead of acting offended on the part of the lower-middle class who you've freely admitted not to have the experiences of. 

Dev manager rant... I am so annoyed that I am constantly having to beg for decent looking code and even provide examples and the code is still ****.  I know everything is subjective but these nested if statements and long conditionals are making me vomit.  I really wish I could have been on this project years ago...

sigh

13 minutes ago, Southern California Liar said:

What did wage growth look like for "poor everyman" in the recession that followed? What were unemployment numbers like for "poor everyman"? Acting like it only hit greedy landlords is the dumb position.

Just now, Francis York Morgan said:

You tend to say a bunch of dumb stuff, so it comes with the territory. And you strawman like crazy, even in posts you quote. "Acting like it only hit greedy landlords" when I say "mostly?" Tying wage growth and unemployment to house purchases when it was more of a trickle down from the financial troubles of people making more? Correlation not being the same as causation is basic as it gets.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/economy/reports/2017/04/13/430424/2008-housing-crisis/

Most of the people targeted by predatory loans had existing mortgages. First time buyers were not targeted as frequently. There's more of this available all over the place if you actually looked instead of acting offended on the part of the lower-middle class who you've freely admitted not to have the experiences of. 

This could all be taken care of at the local waffle house

10 minutes ago, Carter said:

I'm happy for you and I hope it works out. 

I'm still gonna be short with a salesperson who knocks on my door though. Short but polite. If I want it I'll come to you. 

10 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

So the housing bubble popping wasn't followed by the great recession? Those two things are completely unrelated? The greedy landlords were the one who "mostly" paid the price for what the banks did? That's really your position?

Also I'm gonna need some pointing to where I said I'm not the lower middle class. Where I haven't lived that life. Please point me there.

Just now, Southern California Liar said:

So the housing bubble popping wasn't followed by the great recession? Those two things are completely unrelated? The greedy landlords were the one who "mostly" paid the price for what the banks did? That's really your position?

Literally never said any of that. Go back to the correlation and causation thing. If you don't get that, ok. Google can help. Besides that, read and realize you're wrong and strawmanning (again), don't feel like arguing with someone incapable of that because it's like talking to a pile of liberal bricks. 

Not digging through your posts either but have fun.

38 minutes ago, NightPain said:

Would the banks have given out the loans if they weren’t so sure they would be bailed out?

Yeah. The "banks" that lost their ***** we're the ones buying the bundled mortgages, like Lehman. It wasn't the mortgage banks, since most of them don't hold the loans anyway. It was the ones who bought the bundled mortgages like an asset.

Did some of the mortgage banks get kicked in the teeth, sure, the Countrywides of the world ceased to exist. But the ones writing the loans aren't the ones who got bailed out. It was the ones holding them.

33 minutes ago, Carter said:

1 minute ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Literally never said any of that. Go back to the correlation and causation thing. If you don't get that, ok. Google can help. Besides that, read and realize you're wrong and strawmanning (again), don't feel like arguing with someone incapable of that because it's like talking to a pile of liberal bricks. 

Not digging through your posts either but have fun.

Cool man. I'm a rich dude who never lived that life and I'm just out here posturing. I'm sure everybody here knows that.

Just now, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Yeah. The "banks" that lost their ***** we're the ones buying the bundled mortgages, like Lehman. It wasn't the mortgage banks, since most of them don't hold the loans anyway. It was the ones who bought the bundled mortgages like an asset.

Did some of the mortgage banks get kicked in the teeth, sure, the Countrywides of the world ceased to exist. But the ones writing the loans aren't the ones who got bailed out. It was the ones holding them.

Which bank was country wide a subsidiary of

I can deal with being called stupid. **** lots of folks probably think that.

I'm gonna draw the line at calling me somebody who hasn't lived the lower middle class life though. 

tenor.gif

I just want to know which posts made me bougie. My working six days a week in this horrible *** weather where I have to pray I don't die of a heat stroke this summer bougie ***. 

The ironic part is I was contemplating a how I got so lucky through the great recession and now the pandemic through a **** ton of hard work and right place right time post. So much luck involved.

Anyways......10 more mortgage payments fellas. 10 more and I don't owe a ******* soul on this earth a **** thing besides taxes unless l choose to do so. Expect this post 9 more times minus the other stuff.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

@Southern California Liar he’s ******* crazy

"We follow and obey the manmade laws that sit well with our own morals and religious beliefs, and when not, we firmly yet gracefully protest publicly — quietly at first, then loudly if necessary — in the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Justin Bieber figured it out. And Katy Perry. And Blake Shelton. And Patrick Mahomes."

Yea, he crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I think I caught you while I was in a singleminded mode and maybe misinterpreted  what you were trying to say?

But who argues/argued this? Its an honest question. Who argued that it was "poor everyman" that suffered from the crash specifically? 

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The Baby Dik Dik Job Stories Thread