The ABF Classic Film Series Thread: School Ties (1992)

• Replies 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• Southern California Liar

• Leon Troutsky

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fellas I'm fully vaccinated as of today.

Update on Pops. He was taken to the hospital today. He was progressively getting worse over last night and this morning. Ending up having a fall this afternoon. He’s on plavix, so it makes his skin te

Posted Images

12 hours ago, MoeBiden said:

That happened where I grew up.  The local media here in Atlanta ran stories about the urbanization of Atlanta's suburbs.  It's crazy to think how much blatantly racist stereotypes where just 20 years ago.  I can't imagine how much @Andrews_31 has seen.

Being 100% honest, they never messed with us in either Fairburn (well, South Fulton now) where my dad built a house when I was a senior in High School (didn't change schools though) or when I had my house in Alpharetta (postal route).  We always kept our distance, and kept our property pristine, and we always put acreage between us and the them.  I think most of the white people were always scratching their heads trying to figure out what we were (Black, Indian, Hawaiian, Filipino, WTH??????)! 😂😂 

The only time I've ever been called the n word in my life was on a football field, and the jackasss was talking about the entire team!  Back then, we had all we needed within our neighborhoods in Atlanta, and places like Decatur was the edge of the wilderness (Avondale Estates was was like the other side of the wall on GoT, Stone Mountain was klan country)), If you went north on 41, gas up in Atlanta and don't stop until Chattanooga!, if you went west, Douglassville was the boonies, Anything south of Jonesboro, and you better be careful and know where you are/were.

17 minutes ago, Serge said:

Actually if they manage to get people's hopes up for witnesses and then completely dash those hopes in the same day, I'm probably going to be one of the least mad people keeping up with the impeachment.

“We’ve got them right where we want them!”

::checks headset::

”Ahh, guys, maybe we shouldn’t force them into a situation in which they’re not comfortable.”

7 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

“We’ve got them right where we want them!”

::checks headset::

”Ahh, guys, maybe we shouldn’t force them into a situation in which they’re not comfortable.”

To me it would indicate that they never wanted the fight and only really wanted to be seen voting for witnesses. Individuals can say they wanted witnesses, while the blame rests with the party's general cowardice.

I’m not even really following the trial too closely at all, aside from reading some of the posts on here and Twitter as I scroll through. I never thought there was a chance in **** of conviction and nothing I’ve seen has changed my mind.

Seems pretty cut and dry that 1/6 would not have happened at all without Trump pushing his big lie about the election being stolen, openly inviting protesters to gather near the capitol on that specific day, having his staff take over planning of the event, then telling his supporters to march to the capitol. I don’t think he had a hand in the planning to take hostages or potentially kill people, but that’s not the issue here either.

Ultimately, if this plays out similarly to how things generally play out these days, the right will just use this to fire up their base and keep them angry without any clear reason as to why they are so angry. I see my mom, for instance, telling people all the time on Facebook “the people are mad” or “we are so angry in Georgia” or similar. She can’t articulate what she’s so angry about (I’ve tried asking her), but she’s very angry about it.

5 minutes ago, Carter said:

I’m not even really following the trial too closely at all, aside from reading some of the posts on here and Twitter as I scroll through. I never thought there was a chance in **** of conviction and nothing I’ve seen has changed my mind.

Seems pretty cut and dry that 1/6 would not have happened at all without Trump pushing his big lie about the election being stolen, openly inviting protesters to gather near the capitol on that specific day, having his staff take over planning of the event, then telling his supporters to march to the capitol. I don’t think he had a hand in the planning to take hostages or potentially kill people, but that’s not the issue here either.

Ultimately, if this plays out similarly to how things generally play out these days, the right will just use this to fire up their base and keep them angry without any clear reason as to why they are so angry. I see my mom, for instance, telling people all the time on Facebook “the people are mad” or “we are so angry in Georgia” or similar. She can’t articulate what she’s so angry about (I’ve tried asking her), but she’s very angry about it.

The bolded is why I don’t mind them working out an agreement on witnesses.  Maybe it would persuade some in the public, but probably not a lot.  And at any rate, they are going to be congressional investigations so a lot of this stuff will come out eventually.  So why not just get the inevitable out of the way and focus on the stimulus?  

One thing that I hope gets highlighted by Dems is the absolute cowardice of the GOP.  I’m not even talking about the typical capitulation and complicity.  

Kevin McCarthy, for example, called Trump while the attack was occurring to ask him to tell the rioters to go home.  Trump floated the antifa lie and McCarthy corrected Trump.  Then Trump told him, “well Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are.”  

If I were Kevin McCarthy, I’d knock the guy’s teeth down his throat the next time I met him.  What did McCarthy do?  He went down to Mar-a-Lago and kissed Trump’s *** and begged him for help in the next election.  Just mind-blowing levels of cowardice.  

And Mike Pence’s child was put in direct danger by the insurrectionists, yet Pence a few days later had a polite chat with Trump in the Oval Office.  He hasn’t said a critical word about Trump in public since.  How does a man whose child was put in direct danger just stay silent like that?  

13 minutes ago, Carter said:

They apparently did extremely well with the prosecution (don't really know just watched a few highlights), while the defense made fools of themselves (lol no), and all that good will they built up is about to get thrown right out the ******* window because of what happened today with them voting to have witnesses and then "negotiating" themselves right back out of having witnesses.

8 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

If I were Kevin McCarthy, I’d knock the guy’s teeth down his throat the next time I met him.  What did McCarthy do?  He went down to Mar-a-Lago and kissed Trump’s *** and begged him for help in the next election.  Just mind-blowing levels of cowardice.  

And Mike Pence’s child was put in direct danger by the insurrectionists, yet Pence a few days later had a polite chat with Trump in the Oval Office.  He hasn’t said a critical word about Trump in public since.  How does a man whose child was put in direct danger just stay silent like that?  

Two rock solid paragraphs. Mind boggling IMHO.

44 minutes ago, Serge said:

They apparently did extremely well with the prosecution (don't really know just watched a few highlights), while the defense made fools of themselves (lol no), and all that good will they built up is about to get thrown right out the ******* window because of what happened today with them voting to have witnesses and then "negotiating" themselves right back out of having witnesses.

It’s a weird series of events for sure. I didn’t think they should have gone through with witnesses, but I don’t know much about the procedures of the event to be honest. It seems unrealistic to me to think the GOP will do anything but acquit no matter how solid the case against Trump is made. They are too far gone as a party and believe the person holding their party hostage is also their only path forward.

I’ve just been waiting for it to end tbh. There is so much important stuff that needs to get done for pandemic relief, getting the economy back on track, setting the agenda for future elections. Trump needs to be held accountable, but that can only be done in this setting if the GOP is willing to uphold their duty and they clearly are not. Will his supporters do something similar again? I doubt it. A lot of people from 1/6 are looking at prison time. 

23 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

What today tells me is that the Republicans run Washington and the establishment Dems are absolutely fine with it, as they bend over and take it up the kisser in delight. 

They are just as complicit to me at this point.

Let's be real....the republicans were NEVER going to convict.

However the democrats did a phenomenal job of tying Trump's rhetoric to the violence on 1/6.

Moving forward  the republicans who voted against conviction are going to have to answer for that next year.

And if Trump does try and run again in  2024...... The videos that were played will be played by who ever is running for the democrats (probably Harris) over and over ...and over.

So while the conviction probably was never really on the table, the democrats landed several blows to the republicans.

For their hardcore base it won't matter but for more moderate type folks....this is going to hurt the republicans.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series Thread: School Ties (1992)