The ABF Classic Film Series Thread: School Ties (1992)

• Replies 21.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• Southern California Liar

• Leon Troutsky

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fellas I'm fully vaccinated as of today.

Posted Images

let me put it another way - if you are not religious, you probably accept that there is nothing particularly special about any human religion - they were all created and maintained in the same fashion, dependent on the human society and the given material conditions and social behaviors that borne them and are ultimately respondent to. if this is the case, then you should recognize that it is generally behavior that informs belief, not the other way around. a group of religious adherents will find a spiritual reason to justify the social structures they already accept.

ie, you will never rules lawyer someone into changing their mind about some issue through their religion. 

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

I’m saying your exegesis is bad. 

Now looky here counselor. My covenant with my mom was I could stop going to church once I got confirmed. So when we found a church that fast tracked you to confirmation at 8th grade, my reading of the Bible stopped. So saying my knowledge of the Bible is bad, is a given. 

Edited by shc
Just now, The Great American said:

True.  I've never seen God but I've never seen the wind either.  I have seen the effects of the wind.

Wind is scientifically measurable. Something we can see. Something that can be touched. If you understand atoms, you understand that fish are to water as land animals are to wind and air.

Transparent <> non-existent.

39 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Also says you shouldn't eat shrimp. Do you eat shrimp? Or lobster? Or oysters? Or calamari? Crab?

Maybe it's because that book was used to enslave my ancestors as to why I don't so blindly follow Mens interpretations of it or even believe it tells the whole stories unedited for that matter So any Conservative Bible thumping white man can bite me!

Just now, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Wind is scientifically measurable. Something we can see. Something that can be touched. If you understand atoms, you understand that fish are to water as land animals are to wind and air.

faith by definition cannot be measured...

except in body count.....

2 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

God is Someone you get or dont get.  Depends on the measure of your faith.

2 minutes ago, shc said:

Now looky here counselor. My covenant with my mom was I could stop going to church once I got confirmed. So when we found a church that fast tracked you to confirmation at 8th grade, my reading of the Bible stopped. So saying my knowledge of the Bible is bad, is a given. 

Fair, and I don't criticize anyone not knowing something.  The point I'm trying to make is, as with the whole shellfish debate, this stuff has long ago been worked out.  When the Old Testament was translated into Greek centuries before Christ was born, they used words that have meaning.  When the Western Church translated it into Latin, same.  When the Church Fathers throughout the centuries spoke of the procession of the Holy Spirit, they used the word "spirate" for a reason.

Knockdown arguments are really only good if they knock something down.  This one doesn't.  Genesis 2 refers to God breathing the spirit of life into man.  And because Adam and Eve are special cases in any event, and leaving aside that most Christians are not fundamentalists who hold to a dead literal interpretation of every word of Scripture, you have to at least plumb some of those depths before wading into the water to swim with people who have been swimming in them for a long, long time.

4 minutes ago, The Great American said:

Racist much?

well yes, they were. explicitly so. have you read the things written by white southerners during the antebellum era? they thought their slave-based society was literally ordained by god. 

you do realize that african slaves weren't already christian before they got here, right? how do you think that happened?

Just now, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

But wait... Wouldn't Murder be a sin in that case??? 😵

I guess it depends on which version of the bible you're reading. Apparently any of the below were worthy of death at one point.

• murder
  • incest
  • bearing false witness on a capital charge
  • adultery
  • idolatry
  • bestiality
  • child sacrifice to pagan god cursing a parent
  • fortune-telling
  • homosexuality
3 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I guess it depends on which version of the bible you're reading. Apparently any of the below were worthy of death at one point.

• murder
  • incest
  • bearing false witness on a capital charge
  • adultery
  • idolatry
  • bestiality
  • child sacrifice to pagan god cursing a parent
  • fortune-telling
  • homosexuality

So... What you're saying is... 

Trumpheads don't make it past #5 on your list!

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series Thread: School Ties (1992)