Jump to content

The ABF Classic Film Series Thread: Michael Clayton (2007)


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, The Monarch said:

or how little he would have posted about Cawthorn? 

 

Anywho, on Cuomo:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

23 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Also, about the Cuomo allegations, I get the sense of a double standard but we’re not talking about Supreme Court nominees or the filibuster.  We’re talking about protecting people against sexual harassment in the workplace.  That has nothing to do with what the GOP does or doesn’t do regarding allegations against their side.  You do the right thing in these situations regardless of whether the other side does or not.

It was a reference to the Opinion piece in the Times. And the way these things are handled are absolutely influenced by norm changes that happen on either side of the aisle. Politicians are gonna politician and partisans are gonna partisan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Mr. Hoopah!

    2270

  • AF89

    1906

  • Aleksandr sportolli

    1734

  • Leon Troutsky

    1013

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Sponge @Corn Pop the toddler and my brother's murder-dog love each other so much

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

Two people are talking about sexual harassment in the workplace.  And for that, Cuomo needs to go.

ONE person is talking about a creepy old dude making a pass at her at a wedding.   (He touched her back, face, and asked to kiss someone thirty years younger) I have no idea why anyone in the media is talking about that.

A creepy old dude who is the governor of New York state.  He probably thinks he's untouchable given his position. The look on this woman's face says it all.  She wanted no part of it, it's not like he just used a gross pickup line on her. 

42xqk1cyjik61.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

A creepy old dude who is the governor of New York state.  He probably thinks he's untouchable given his position. The look on this woman's face says it all.  She wanted no part of it, it's not like he just used a gross pickup line on her. 

42xqk1cyjik61.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

Looks like there may be a witness directly in the background too!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Aleksandr sportolli said:

 

It was a reference to the Opinion piece in the Times. And the way these things are handled are absolutely influenced by norm changes that happen on either side of the aisle. Politicians are gonna politician and partisans are gonna partisan.

Oh, I wasn’t criticizing anyone but the op-ed about Dems feeling like “suckers”.  I was just saying that this is one of those issues where what the other side does shouldn’t matter.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

Oh, I wasn’t criticizing anyone but the op-ed about Dems feeling like “suckers”.  I was just saying that this is one of those issues where what the other side does shouldn’t matter.  

Personally, I think it needs to be pointed out that Cuomo needs to go regardless of political affiliation while simultaneously pointing out what hypocrites Republicans are about this exact same issue. Credible complaints about recently elected MAGA ****head Madison Cawthorn, and there's not a single call from any Republican for him to be even investigation, let alone that he should resign or be removed. There has been wall-to-wall coverage about Cuomo by conservative outlets. 

Again, there's absolutely no reasoning with these people, and no amount of shaming is ever going to change their ways, but I'll be ****ed if I let that stop me from pointing out their hypocrisy on every issue under the sun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Personally, I think it needs to be pointed out that Cuomo needs to go regardless of political affiliation while simultaneously pointing out what hypocrites Republicans are about this exact same issue. Credible complaints about recently elected MAGA ****head Madison Cawthorn, and there's not a single call from any Republican for him to be even investigation, let alone that he should resign or be removed. There has been wall-to-wall coverage about Cuomo by conservative outlets. 

Again, there's absolutely no reasoning with these people, and no amount of shaming is ever going to change their ways, but I'll be ****ed if I let that stop me from pointing out their hypocrisy on every issue under the sun.

Right.  But I was responding specifically to an op-ed/article posted about how Democratic donors feel like “suckers” and think Cuomo should stay because of the double standard.  My point is that this isn’t something where what Republicans do should have any influence on what Dems do.  Cuomo needs to go, period.  

And yes, pointing out the GOP hypocrisy is absolutely fine and justified.  That should also be highlighted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I mean, the photographer captured it the moment it happened.  It's not as bad as what Franken was photographed doing, but it's the rare instance that an allegation was captured on film.

Please tell me you aren't talking about this photograph . . . . Please?

Al Franken Accused of Sexual Assault - The Atlantic

Because we need to be clear about holding someone accountable for sexual harassment v. holding someone accountable for making light of sexual harassment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HolyMoses said:

Please tell me you aren't talking about this photograph . . . . Please?

Al Franken Accused of Sexual Assault - The Atlantic

Because we need to be clear about holding someone accountable for sexual harassment v. holding someone accountable for making light of sexual harassment.

Franken should never have resigned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Right.  But I was responding specifically to an op-ed/article posted about how Democratic donors feel like “suckers” and think Cuomo should stay because of the double standard.  My point is that this isn’t something where what Republicans do should have any influence on what Dems do.  Cuomo needs to go, period.  

And yes, pointing out the GOP hypocrisy is absolutely fine and justified.  That should also be highlighted.

Ahh, yeah, the dem donors saying they feel like suckers and still mad about Franken can get bent.  He absolutely should have resigned, doesn't matter if folks like Trump and Northam subsequently refused, they're still ****heads.

4 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

Please tell me you aren't talking about this photograph . . . . Please?

Al Franken Accused of Sexual Assault - The Atlantic

Because we need to be clear about holding someone accountable for sexual harassment v. holding someone accountable for making light of sexual harassment.

I am talking about that photo!  Even Franken admitted it was wrong.

"I am ashamed of that photo," Franken told Minnesota Public Radio. "She didn’t have any ability to consent. She had every right to feel violated by that photo. I have apologized to her. I was very grateful that she accepted my apology. That is all I can say. My intent doesn’t matter. What matters is that she felt the way she felt from this photo and for that I am ashamed.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sen-franken-embarassed-groping-claims-rebuild-trust/story?id=51394106

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leon Troutsky said:

For those worried they’re not going to move on anything other than covid relief...

House Democrats plan to steamroll through some of their biggest legislative priorities this month, unveiling an ambitious agenda to pass a final coronavirus relief package as well as bills pertaining to gun control, immigration and other Democratic policy goals.

...

Also next week, the Democrats plan to vote on two gun control bills as well as a bill to strengthen workers’ abilities to organize. The following week the House will take up bills on equal rights, violence against women and immigration, Hoyer said.

Most of these bills already passed the Democratic-held House in the last session, but died in the Republican-majority Senate. Now, with the narrowest of majorities in the Senate and a Democratic president, House Democrats are passing them again in hopes they make it to Biden’s desk

Wake me up when these bills get past the filibuster. Otherwise they are just messaging bills like they were during a republican led Senate. Only bill I am looking at after the COVID relief is the 3T infrastructure bill. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I feel bad for Franken to some degree because he seems truly contrite for what he did. Sure he could have rode it out until the news cycle found something else, but he did the right thing. Even with his adversaries playing by a completely different set of rules. 

100% 

His intent was to be a goof...which is in his nature and he apologized and I have seen where she accepted his apology (from her own words).

Overall this was take.....bit not something that we should condone from members of congress.

He should have resigned...and credit to him he did.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all the "yeah he probably needs to resign" of the past 5ish years, Franken was probably amongst the least of them and admittedly had the unfortunate timing of having his scandal sandwiched between Trumps and a child predator running for Senate 

Not that that's a trophy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

100% 

His intent was to be a goof...which is in his nature and he apologized and I have seen where she accepted his apology (from her own words).

Overall this was take.....bit not something that we should condone from members of congress.

He should have resigned...and credit to him he did.

Keep in mind it wasn't just the photo, he had other women come forward similar to what's happening with Cumo and say yeah he made us uncomfortable. The validity and severity of those claims and all I've kinda lost some 4 years later but I do remember them being made

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I feel bad for Franken to some degree because he seems truly contrite for what he did. Sure he could have rode it out until the news cycle found something else, but he did the right thing. Even with his adversaries playing by a completely different set of rules. 

Ultimately 8 women came forward and accused him of sexual misconduct dating back to at least 2006 when he was still a radio host.  I think he denied most of them, no way he could deny the Tweeden allegations once the photo was published.  I don't say that to say he would have denied that also had the photo not emerged, but who knows.

Had the Tweeden incident been the only one, I'd be more inclined to agree.  I loved Franken on SNL and in movies. He seemed like he was trying to fight the good fight in Government.  But unfortunately he appears to have behaved in ways previously not considered inappropriate by a staggering number of men years ago to not be problematic, and he needed to resign as a result.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series Thread: Michael Clayton (2007)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...