The ABF Classic Film Series Thread: Michael Clayton (2007)

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

Whatever happened to “slow feet don’t eat”?

That **** left years ago. Even at my job, we have some of the easiest jobs around. For the most part the young people have to wrap rolls on a table that pretty much does all the work yet they complain that they're going too much and don't last long. They have it way easier than I had it when I was in that position. I had to actually doing everything myself. 

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• Aleksandr sportolli

• Leon Troutsky

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mom's rapid test was negative.  So relieved.  Was going through all kinds of worrisome scenarios in my head all morning.  I talked to her while she was still waiting, she was convinced she didn't

Yo,  if this happens I'm driving to Flowery Branch and fighting someone. 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Sponge said:

I'm probably gonna catch **** for this but I feel today's face-in-your-phone generation lacks the work ethic of past generations.

There is truth to that....but the older generation can be  just as guilty of that.

We had a lady who was sweet but she was a bit older and she was to be blunt useless.

Our systems are not super user freindly but it is not rocket science and is actually a older program so it should have been in her wheel house....but she made every excuse possible as to why she still made mistakes  and never seemed like she was interested in learning.

I thought a major point of the stimulus and unemployment aid was not only to help people who can’t find work but to try and mitigate the spread of covid. Are we back to calling people lazy if they aren’t working or collecting unemployment that is paying out more than they made working? I’ll just see y’all later I guess, this is stupid. 

25 minutes ago, Sponge said:

People are just evil. You'd think that the discovery of electricity would speed up evolution but nope.

Yeah. I read years ago that somebody genetically altered grain that could grow in the desert with minimal water and other seeds that can be planted once for perennial growth. Poor people could sustainably grow food in some of the worst climates in the world. But it was decided that it makes no sense to either feed the world or to market seeds that can only be sold once.

And after the Haitian earthquakes, the government politely requested people stop donating food and resources because free access to vital supplies was tanking the local economy. Apparently, warehouses full of food rotted to keep businesses open.

So the world is hungry because capitalism dictates it should be.

I think about this every time I hear somebody asks why God doesn't step in and save us. Seems like He already did and we politely turned down His assistance. But that's a matter of perspective.

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

That **** left years ago. Even at my job, we have some of the easiest jobs around. For the most part the young people have to wrap rolls on a table that pretty much does all the work yet they complain that they're going too much and don't last long. They have it way easier than I had it when I was in that position. I had to actually doing everything myself. 

I remember back when I had to troubleshoot electronics with those old *** needled meters and actually physically repair solid state and logic circuits by hand, now all you have to do is switch out entire boards or just allow the computer to handle everything logically.

Yep, these young'uns are spoiled. 

1 minute ago, Carter said:

I thought a major point of the stimulus and unemployment aid was not only to help people who can’t find work but to try and mitigate the spread of covid. Are we back to calling people lazy if they aren’t working or collecting unemployment that is paying out more than they made working? I’ll just see y’all later I guess, this is stupid. 

Pretty sure no one has said that. It's a reality that their are decent jobs available in alot of places. 

1 minute ago, Carter said:

I don’t think that’s what people are saying.  At least, that’s not what I’m saying.  Acknowledging that there are some people out there who don’t want to put in the work to climb into a good job doesn’t negate the fact that there are a ton more people who are struggling through no fault of their own.  I’ve seen both types of people personally.  At least, that’s my take on the conversation.

20 minutes ago, Sponge said:

I'm probably gonna catch **** for this but I feel today's face-in-your-phone generation lacks the work ethic of past generations.

It's definitely true. No question. The minimum wage right now is still unacceptable when examining inflation though. Not mutually exclusive.

But yeah, I've seen first-hand the stupid *****ing teens and early twenty-somethings whine even working 20 hours a week. Knew this girl who was part of the Rocky cast who would complain constantly about having to work "6 whole hours straight," and she worked a max of 4 days a week (closer to 1-2 days until she quit and mooched off her parents more). So happy she got kicked off the cast. People are so god**** lazy now that it drives me crazy.

But - and there's always a but - I also know some folks working 50-60 hour weeks and barely scraping by. A couple years after I got out of the Navy, I worked 70 hour weeks at dog daycares making $10 an hour because cost of living was so god**** expensive in DC and I couldn't afford to move for a while. I could have done something more in line with what I was doing in the Navy (mechanic), yeah, but I was taking the work that came to me initially and was eventually so preoccupied with working that I didn't have time to even look for other jobs. I'm doing a lot better now (used my GI bill to go back to school for something that interested me, and now I'm actually getting my PhD) but it was ******* miserable for a while. And plenty of other people get stuck in that loop too.

Bit of a rant, my b. Just trying to emphasize that these things (raising min wage and lazy *** kids) aren't mutually exclusive.

1 minute ago, Statick said:

I remember back when I had to troubleshoot electronics with those old *** needled meters and actually physically repair solid state and logic circuits by hand, now all you have to do is switch out entire boards or just allow the computer to handle everything logically.

Yep, these young'uns are spoiled. 

Things are definitely easier these days.  people either don't want to do the work or they don't show up. Even the easiest jobs. I always use my job as an example because I see it with my own eyes all the time. 

I was offered an autocad job designing the air bags but turned it down because I like to move around and keep my hands on stuff. Would have been a $5 raise but i wouldn't have been happy doing it. 

4 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Yeah. I read years ago that somebody genetically altered grain that could grow in the desert with minimal water and other seeds that can be planted once for perennial growth. Poor people could sustainably grow food in some of the worst climates in the world. But it was decided that it makes no sense to either feed the world or to market seeds that can only be sold once.

And after the Haitian earthquakes, the government politely requested people stop donating food and resources because free access to vital supplies was tanking the local economy. Apparently, warehouses full of food rotted to keep businesses open.

So the world is hungry because capitalism dictates it should be.

I think about this every time I hear somebody asks why God doesn't step in and save us. Seems like He already did and we politely turned down His assistance. But that's a matter of perspective.

One of the biggest disappointments for me regarding technology is how much of Star Trek technology we’ve copied (and moved beyond!) these past few decades to make our lives so much better.  The problem is that the things we copied were on the entertainment side — cell phones and translation software and games/simulations.  But we haven’t focused enough on the core part of sci fi and especially Star Trek, which is eliminating hunger and poverty.  It’s a real flaw with humanity that we’ve created all of these miracle devices to entertain and educate us but people still die of hunger and disease.  

3 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I don’t think that’s what people are saying.  At least, that’s not what I’m saying.  Acknowledging that there are some people out there who don’t want to put in the work to climb into a good job doesn’t negate the fact that there are a ton more people who are struggling through no fault of their own.  I’ve seen both types of people personally.  At least, that’s my take on the conversation.

That's why I made it a point to state "some places". I think Carter took it the wrong way because it's a soft spot. But no one is saying what he's thinking. At least I'm not seeing it that way

5 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

It's definitely true. No question. The minimum wage right now is still unacceptable when examining inflation though. Not mutually exclusive.

But yeah, I've seen first-hand the stupid *****ing teens and early twenty-somethings whine even working 20 hours a week. Knew this girl who was part of the Rocky cast who would complain constantly about having to work "6 whole hours straight," and she worked a max of 4 days a week (closer to 1-2 days until she quit and mooched off her parents more). So happy she got kicked off the cast. People are so god**** lazy now that it drives me crazy.

But - and there's always a but - I also know some folks working 50-60 hour weeks and barely scraping by. A couple years after I got out of the Navy, I worked 70 hour weeks at dog daycares making $10 an hour because cost of living was so god**** expensive in DC and I couldn't afford to move for a while. I could have done something more in line with what I was doing in the Navy (mechanic), yeah, but I was taking the work that came to me initially and was eventually so preoccupied with working that I didn't have time to even look for other jobs. I'm doing a lot better now (used my GI bill to go back to school for something that actually interested me, and now I'm actually getting my PhD) but it was ******* miserable for a while. And plenty of other people get stuck in that loop too.

Bit of a rant, my b. Just trying to emphasize that these things (raising min wage and lazy *** kids) aren't mutually exclusive.

Let’s be honest.  You’re getting your PhD so you can make a middle class salary and not do any work. ;) 

3 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

There is truth to that....but the older generation can be  just as guilty of that.

We had a lady who was sweet but she was a bit older and she was to be blunt useless.

Our systems are not super user freindly but it is not rocket science and is actually a older program so it should have been in her wheel house....but she made every excuse possible as to why she still made mistakes  and never seemed like she was interested in learning.

Man, my old warehouse lost any hope of real success once the union figured out how to use FMLA as an easy way to get out of work. I was in charge of attendance for the whole workforce and I had to pounce when one of the employees used an hour more than he/she was allowed. One guy would just walk away from his workstation once or twice a week without telling his supervisor and would find me and just mutter "FMLA" before punching out and going home*.

Their bosses would be p_ssed at me because I handled all of the paperwork and tracking. A few workers got written up or fired when they screwed up but others would stop in and see me once a week to find out how many hours they had remaining. Almost everybody who had leave was in the 30-60 range, although there were some who were younger.

*Or somewhere. There were no requirements to tell us why they were leaving, let alone if they were going to home or to the doctor.

The younger generation is going to have to put up a fight to beat their elders. 

3 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

But yeah, I've seen first-hand the stupid *****ing teens and early twenty-somethings give even working 20 hours a week. Knew this girl who was part of the Rocky cast who would complain constantly about having to work "6 whole hours straight," and she worked a max of 4 days a week (closer to 1-2 days until she quit and mooched off her parents more). So happy she got kicked off the cast. People are so god**** lazy now that it drives me crazy.

But - and there's always a but - I also know some folks working 50-60 hour weeks and barely scraping by. A couple years after I got out of the Navy, I worked 70 hour weeks at dog daycares making $10 an hour because cost of living was so god**** expensive in DC and I couldn't afford to move for a while. I could have done something morevin line with what I was doing in the Navy (mechanic), yeah, but I was taking the work that came to me initially and was eventually so preoccupied with working that I didn't have time to even look for other jobs. I'm doing a lot better now (used my GI bill to go back to school for something that actually interested me, and now I'm actually getting my PhD) but it was ******* miserable for a while. And plenty of other people get stuck in that loop too.

That goes back to the conversation the other day. Places where cost of living is stupid ridiculous, it's hard to argue against a wage increase. Granted even with a wage increase, it'll still be tough for some people because they may choose to live beyond their means. Nothing wrong with that but you gotta know how to work that dollar

4 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Man, my old warehouse lost any hope of real success once the union figured out how to use FMLA as an easy way to get out of work. I was in charge of attendance for the whole workforce and I had to pounce when one of the employees used an hour more than he/she was allowed. One guy would just walk away from his workstation once or twice a week without telling his supervisor and would find me and just mutter "FMLA" before punching out and going home*.

Their bosses would be p_ssed at me because I handled all of the paperwork and tracking. A few workers got written up or fired when they screwed up but others would stop in and see me once a week to find out how many hours they had remaining. Almost everybody who had leave was in the 30-60 range, although there were some who were younger.

*Or somewhere. There were no requirements to tell us why they were leaving, let alone if they were going to home or to the doctor.

The younger generation is going to have to put up a fight to beat their elders. 

I took advantage of FMLA when my second daughter was born. I was fed up with that job though. They were working the dog **** out of me and not doing anything to get me any real help because I made it look easy. I was broken. Mentally and physically

I took 3 months off when my daughter was born and let them suffer. I almost went broke in the process because my mom got sick and I had to take an extra 2 weeks off but it was what it was. At that point

FWIW, I see nurses in their 20s busting their ***** every day working long hours, being underpaid, and buried so deep in student debt they can't have much of a life outside of work. 

Olds like me calling the young generation lazy is a trope as old as time, and it's usually inaccurate. They have as much a stake in this world as I do. If they come into it seeing less opportunity and more despair, then it's probably the fault of previous generations.

4 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

One of the biggest disappointments for me regarding technology is how much of Star Trek technology we’ve copied (and moved beyond!) these past few decades to make our lives so much better.  The problem is that the things we copied were on the entertainment side — cell phones and translation software and games/simulations.  But we haven’t focused enough on the core part of sci fi and especially Star Trek, which is eliminating hunger and poverty.  It’s a real flaw with humanity that we’ve created all of these miracle devices to entertain and educate us but people still die of hunger and disease.  

This is exactly why I can't see us ever moving far from fossil fuels. How will corporations profit from charging cars? I suppose they'll charge us for how long we'll plug in or something. In my state (Ohio), they raised gas taxes by a few cents per gallon last year. To make up for the "unfair" advantage, they added $50 to the annual registration of a hybrid and $100 to register an electric vehicle. And before that, they limited the number of Tesla dealerships to three for the entire state.

Some would blow the world up if they can't rip it off.

1 minute ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Let’s be honest.  You’re getting your PhD so you can make a middle class salary and not do any work. ;) 

Mmmm yeah those sweet, sweet 60k assistant professor salaries :lol:

If things pan out, I'll be able to live comfortably doing something I love. Great benefits too. That's all I really want in a job. 

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

That goes back to the conversation the other day. Places where cost of living is stupid ridiculous, it's hard to argue against a wage increase. Granted even with a wage increase, it'll still be tough for some people because they may choose to live beyond their means. Nothing wrong with that but you gotta know how to work that dollar

Big thing too with young people is they straight up don't know how to cook. I know people who order out nearly every day of the week. Meanwhile, my wife and I eat out...maybe once a week, max? I hear about how it's so hard to even afford food...we're doing decent since we both work, but we also throw down for awesome fresh groceries and I cook daily. Maybe it's just not everyone's bag, but I'll spend the ~$20 on shrimp and salmon, brussel sprouts, etc with leftovers for us while my buddy gets Panda Express delivered and pays as much or more with fees and tips. 

We're actually starting to grow mushrooms now too. Always been into growing our own food, had no idea how easy mushrooms are through...this stuff is awesome. We really want to raise our (eventual) kids to appreciate their food, the work that goes into it, where it comes from etc. So this is another drop in that bucket

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I took advantage of FMLA when my second daughter was born. I was fed up with that job though. They were working the dog **** out of me and not doing anything to get me any real help because I made it look easy. I was broken. Mentally and physically

I took 3 months off when my daughter was born and let them suffer. I almost went broke in the process because my mom got sick and I had to take an extra 2 weeks off but it was what it was. At that point

It's an important law. To be honest, I was more than willing to deal with 15 slackards since it meant that 10 or so who really needed it got the time to handle their conditions. It wouldn't have been so bad if the abusers weren't so blatant about it.

The funny part of it was that when they applied for it, they would ask me what they needed the paperwork to note in order to abuse it to the fullest (my words, not theirs) and I was required by HR to tell them.

1 minute ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Mmmm yeah those sweet, sweet 60k assistant professor salaries :lol:

If things pan out, I'll be able to live comfortably doing something I love. Great benefits too. That's all I really want in a job. 

Big thing too with young people is they straight up don't know how to cook. I know people who order out nearly every day of the week. Meanwhile, my wife and I eat out...maybe once a week, max? I hear about how it's so hard to even afford food...we're doing decent since we both work, but we also throw down for awesome fresh groceries and I cook daily. Maybe it's just not everyone's bag, but I'll spend the ~$20 on shrimp and salmon, brussel sprouts, etc with leftovers for us while my buddy gets Panda Express delivered and pays as much or more with fees and tips. 

We're actually starting to grow mushrooms now too. Always been into growing our own food, had no idea how easy mushrooms are through...this stuff is awesome. We really want to raise our (eventual) kids to appreciate their food, the work that goes into it, where it comes from etc. So this is another drop in that bucket

Whew man. You said some **** then. Tall that talk

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series Thread: Michael Clayton (2007)