The ABF Classic Film Series Thread: Michael Clayton (2007)

4 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Just a hypothetical. Does anyone here think for one instant that if McConnell and the GOP had a 50+1 majority, they would let the senate parliamentarian keep them from passing one of their tax cuts for billionaires? 

It wouldn't have even slowed him down. 

Seems like the problem is that they'd all want the same thing, whereas the Democrats absolutely do not, even though they had to act like they did during the elections.

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• Aleksandr sportolli

• Leon Troutsky

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update on Pops. He was taken to the hospital today. He was progressively getting worse over last night and this morning. Ending up having a fall this afternoon. He’s on plavix, so it makes his skin te

Mom's rapid test was negative.  So relieved.  Was going through all kinds of worrisome scenarios in my head all morning.  I talked to her while she was still waiting, she was convinced she didn't

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Serge said:

Seems like the problem is that they'd all want the same thing, whereas the Democrats absolutely do not, even though they had to act like they did during the elections.

That’s exactly the problem — a few Dems oppose the $15 minimum wage.  If none of the Republicans will back it, then they just don’t have the votes to pass it.  

58 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I was indeed wrong about requiring a vote to overturn the parliamentarian.  I thought that required a majority vote by the Senate instead of the Veep overruling.  But after that, there will still be amendments offered, including one by Manchin to reduce the minimum wage amount down to about $12.  That would get majority support because Manchin and likely Sinema would vote for it.  So the $15 minimum wage isn’t going to happen regardless of overruling the parliamentarian or not.  

57 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

lol don’t you literally get paid to know this stuff?

43 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Nope, at least not the intricacies of Senate legislative procedures.  Not my area of specialization.  And legislative process is so arcane and tedious that even experts in that area get it wrong sometimes.  

But funny attempt at a dunk from a guy who apparently gets all of his political info from random Twitter personalities and celebrities like comedians and actors.  You didn’t even know that “Sal The Agorist” was an anti-mask and anti-vaxxer nutjob, so don’t sit here and pretend like you know f*** all about this topic.

In my 20 years of marriage, I have won exactly three arguments with Mrs. HolyMoses.  The first was when I claimed her lunatic boss was subject to outbursts because of head injuries from his time with the Patriots (two weeks later the NYT article about CTE came out.)

The second time was when I insisted that brown shoes with dark blue suits was now a thing and ok.  20 Ways to Wear Blue Suits with Brown Shoes Ideas for Men | Blue suit men, Blue  suit brown shoes, Mens fashion suits casual

The third, and last time was when I said that Obama was  a more viable candidate than Clinton in 2008.  Hillary was just divisive and, despite what Obama said, she was NOT "likeable enough."

The final straw was when they were asked about their faults during a debate.  Obama was self effacing about having trouble managing paper.  Hillary replied with something nasty like "we can't have an President who is disorganized."

It takes a special kind of ******* to pile on when someone is admitting a fault or a mistake.  Very revealing of character.

6 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

In my 20 years of marriage, I have won exactly three arguments with Mrs. HolyMoses.  The first was when I claimed her lunatic boss was subject to outbursts because of head injuries from his time with the Patriots (two weeks later the NYT article about CTE came out.)

The second time was when I insisted that brown shoes with dark blue suits was now a thing and ok.

The third, and last time was when I said that Obama was  a more viable candidate than Clinton in 2008.  Hillary was just divisive and, despite what Obama said, she was NOT "likeable enough."

The final straw was when they were asked about their faults during a debate.  Obama was self effacing about having trouble managing paper.  Hillary replied with something nasty like "we can't have an President who is disorganized."

It takes a special kind of prick to pile on when someone is admitting a fault or a mistake.  Very revealing of character.

If you're gonna build a message board identity around condescension and lording your credentials over others then you shouldn't be getting schooled by left twitter.

1 minute ago, Corn Pop said:

If you're gonna build a message board identity around condescension and lording your credentials over others then you shouldn't be getting schooled by left twitter.

Yeah, the bolded part is completely false, like most of the bull**** you spout around here.  And you’re coming across as extremely insecure and pathetic with this whole thing.  Take the weak **** home and go back to posting about eating ***.

46 minutes ago, Statick said:

Pentagon report warns of threat from white supremacists inside the military

A Defense Department report highlights disturbing examples of white supremacy inside the military, calling for changes in how the department screens recruits for possible ties to domestic extremism.

The report, which the Trump administration drafted last year before the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol, was sent to Congress in October, but it has not been made public until now.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/pentagon-report-warns-threat-white-supremacists-inside-military-n1258871

Yeah, I've been sitting in a lot of meetings regarding this. Waiting for new directives from the new Sec Def.

White Nationalism is also a huge concern in certain police forces.  It's terrifying when the guys with the guns and the badges are the criminals.

43 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Stick with eating *** and animal videos.  

4 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Take the weak **** home and go back to posting about eating ***.

You're in like the top 5 of the sickest people I've ever dealt with on the boards and I want to explore why you are the way you are.

??

1 minute ago, Corn Pop said:

You're in like the top 5 of the sickest people I've ever dealt with on the boards and I want to explore why you are the way you are.

??

This is what we do . . . . 

Let's make sure to stigmatize mental illness as much as possible.

And . . . if you actually perceived @Leon Troutsky as suffering from mental illness, what would it say about your character for coming at him like this?

6 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

the ghouls at CPAC are plotting how to force their theocratic white supremacy on the country for decades, but I'm sure the best way to prevent that is by respecting norms

Once again the Democrats are going to lose miserably a game in which they don't even understand the rules. Like some country rube in Vegas losing his shirt at the baccarat table because he thinks he's playing blackjack. 

2 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

This is what we do . . . . 

Let's make sure to stigmatize mental illness as much as possible.

And . . . if you actually perceived @Leon Troutsky as suffering from mental illness, what would it say about your character for coming at him like this?

He’s just desperately trying to land something, anything.  As I said, it’s sad and pathetic that this is all he’s got to offer to the discussion.  

1 hour ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I was indeed wrong about requiring a vote to overturn the parliamentarian.  I thought that required a majority vote by the Senate instead of the Veep overruling.  But after that, there will still be amendments offered, including one by Manchin to reduce the minimum wage amount down to about $12.  That would get majority support because Manchin and likely Sinema would vote for it.  So the $15 minimum wage isn’t going to happen regardless of overruling the parliamentarian or not.  

Sounds to me like that would a worth the risk gamble. 

By the way, about the talk of pressuring Joe Manchin, Trump won that state with 68% of the vote.  I don’t think Manchin is the one they need to be pressuring on more progressive policies.  They should be pressuring Pat Toomey (PA), Susan Collins, and other Republicans in blue states.  That seems more fruitful to me than trying to get a Democrat who represents a state that Trump won overwhelming to go farther left.

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

I just learned that the potential student debt relief is taxable income unless you fall under certain categories. Maybe they should go all out with the $75k that was mentioned in an article that I read

I'm totally fine with owing more on taxes for a year instead of paying ~3000 a year on them for the next twenty. 

Just now, GEORGIAfan said:

Sounds to me like that would a worth the risk gamble. 

Yep, but it would definitely be a gamble.  I’m not convinced yet that Dems will gain a Senate seat in 2022, and they very well could lose the House just on redistricting alone.  But if $11 (for some reason I thought they were talking about $12) is all they can get now, then get it and press on with more of their agenda until they have the votes for $15.

I still wonder if they couldn’t pick up support for $15 from one of the blue-state Republicans, though.  It wouldn’t be easy, but it seems like a better opportunity than trying to force Manchin to support it.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series Thread: Michael Clayton (2007)