The ABF Classic Film Series Thread: Michael Clayton (2007)

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• Aleksandr sportolli

• Leon Troutsky

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Sponge @Corn Pop the toddler and my brother's murder-dog love each other so much

Mom's rapid test was negative.  So relieved.  Was going through all kinds of worrisome scenarios in my head all morning.  I talked to her while she was still waiting, she was convinced she didn't

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Aleksandr sportolli said:

I just question what the purpose of being the richest society to ever exist in history is if **** near half the people in that society would struggle to cover a $400 emergency. Where are the riches in that richest society to ever exist going? How insane is it to say things like "Luxuries are just that, luxuries.....", when talking about the working class while the government is pretty much admitting they blew 1.7 trillion?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/10-americans-struggle-cover-400-emergency-expense-federal/story%3fid=63253846

It was questioned of us if maybe we're spending too much energy on being angry at Biden for lying about the $2000 checks........well I'm gonna need the same angry energy about living in the wealthiest country to ever exist in history and 40% of that country would struggle to come up with $400 and I'm gonna need it consistently. Considering how preposterous that is I can't imagine investing that anger anywhere else that doesn't help to solve that issue.

There are so many ways that our economy is ****ed right now that it’s hard to focus on any one of them.  The $400 emergency thing is a big one.  The housing market in most areas has priced the majority of people out of ever owning a home...that’s another one.  The rising costs of health care and college is another.  How in the **** can medical bills be the #1 cause of bankruptcy in this country?  Nowhere else in the developed world is that the case.  

And recognizing all of that, I still say that people spent too much time and energy lobbying blame on Biden for rhetoric that minimized the delay that would be caused by the GOP instead of at the GOP itself for causing that delay.  Thinking about all of the major economic problems this country has, I still think that particular point was overblown.

10 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Cannot raise the minimum wage and cannot protect people from evictions during a pandemic, but we can still bomb people. 

I want to know the history of this one, especially when the lawsuit was filed and by whom.  Because if they let the moratorium stand until Biden was in office and then sued to block it...yeesh.

8 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Y'all are missing my point. If 45 Dems want the $15/hr minimum wage and three more are willing to vote for it, it's 12 short of the votes necessary for passage. Manchin and Sinema are power tripping right now and that's why we're not going to see an end to filibuster, which would ensure passage of a minimum wage raise. I'm not blaming party with 96% members signing on, I'm blame the party with 100% opposing.

By the way, the Democrats are the least horrible option available but their failures at this point are expected and not really disappointing to me.

People also don’t seem to realize that even if Harris overruled the parliamentarian, there are still amendments lined up to reduce the minimum wage to $12 that would get the support of Manchin and Sinema.  So $15 minimum wage isn’t happening no matter what at this point.  Pass this bill and get people their checks and other relief.  Then circle back and put a minimum wage increase that can pass through Congress and get that signed.  And that opens a path for infrastructure and some other priorities for later in the year.

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

People also don’t seem to realize that even if Harris overruled the parliamentarian, there are still amendments lined up to reduce the minimum wage to $12 that would get the support of Manchin and Sinema.  So $15 minimum wage isn’t happening no matter what at this point.  Pass this bill and get people their checks and other relief.  Then circle back and put a minimum wage increase that can pass through Congress and get that signed.  And that opens a path for infrastructure and some other priorities for later in the year.

But Joe Manchin got elected by promising  a $15 min. wage and $50k loan forgiveness and $2,600 stimulus and free weed for everyone and converting  aid to Israel to aid to Palestine,  so if we don't have every one of those things in Biden's first month in office then I'm sitting out every election for the rest of life.

4 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Call their bluff. Jesus Christ, giving up before even trying based on threats of what might happen is so on the nose for democrats. Circle back? When, when it will take 60 votes? 

4 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

But Joe Manchin got elected by promising  a $15 min. wage and $50k loan forgiveness and $2,600 stimulus and free weed for everyone and converting  aid to Israel to aid to Palestine,  so if we don't have every one of those things in Biden's first month in office then I'm sitting out every election for the rest of life.

They're going to **** around and find out...

1 hour ago, duckettpleaze said:

Achilles, I’m not even going to ******* waste my time.  Keep it in the green, and I’ll read it:

media-bias-chart_4.0_8_28_2018-min-1200x

Remember when everybody used to trash right-wingers for posting CommieBlaster type sources?  Certain people on the boards have become the left-wing version of that.  “Don’t talk about sources, just address the content!” 

And when people don’t check the sources they use, they hilariously end up posting from people who aren’t actually on their side, like this *** clown who BO was posting to “dunk” on Biden and Democrats...

29 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Remember when everybody used to trash right-wingers for posting CommieBlaster type sources?  Certain people on the boards have become the left-wing version of that.  “Don’t talk about sources, just address the content!” 

And when people don’t check the sources they use, they hilariously end up posting from people who aren’t actually on their side, like this *** clown who BO was posting to “dunk” on Biden and Democrats...

We've got Snake and Marla coming at us from the left these days.

19 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

That seems entirely untrue.

I was indeed wrong about requiring a vote to overturn the parliamentarian.  I thought that required a majority vote by the Senate instead of the Veep overruling.  But after that, there will still be amendments offered, including one by Manchin to reduce the minimum wage amount down to about $12.  That would get majority support because Manchin and likely Sinema would vote for it.  So the $15 minimum wage isn’t going to happen regardless of overruling the parliamentarian or not.  

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

I was indeed wrong about requiring a vote to overturn the parliamentarian.  I thought that required a majority vote by the Senate instead of the Veep overruling.  But after that, there will still be amendments offered, including one by Manchin to reduce the minimum wage amount down to about $12.  That would get majority support because Manchin and likely Sinema would vote for it.  So the $15 minimum wage isn’t going to happen regardless of overruling the parliamentarian or not.  

lol don’t you literally get paid to know this stuff?

2 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

13 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

Call their bluff. Jesus Christ, giving up before even trying based on threats of what might happen is so on the nose for democrats. Circle back? When, when it will take 60 votes? 

15 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

Fine, go ahead and try it.  The outcome is going to be the same.  And I already addressed a GOP filibuster of a minimum wage bill in a previous post.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series Thread: Michael Clayton (2007)