The ABF Classic Film Series Thread: Michael Clayton (2007)

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• Aleksandr sportolli

• Leon Troutsky

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update on Pops. He was taken to the hospital today. He was progressively getting worse over last night and this morning. Ending up having a fall this afternoon. He’s on plavix, so it makes his skin te

@Sponge @Corn Pop the toddler and my brother's murder-dog love each other so much

Posted Images

1 minute ago, eatcorn said:

Yeah, I don't really get the point of arguing religious morality when that's not how we make laws.

Well, for my part anyway, it started when a dude said the Bible says we aren’t alive until we breathe. 

I don’t argue against abortion laws based on religious morality. But I will argue that the Bible doesn’t say what that dude said it says. 

Just now, lostone said:

@achilles return

hey... curious how you would want to deal with people who are awful at their job and dragging a team down.  They have been bad with continued guidance.  Imagine all they did was excel all day and they couldn’t do a pivot table or create formulas after a year

i'm physically incapable of siding with management on anything regardless of the merits, this is not a good question for me.

5 minutes ago, lostone said:

@achilles return

hey... curious how you would want to deal with people who are awful at their job and dragging a team down.  They have been bad with continued guidance.  Imagine all they did was excel all day and they couldn’t do a pivot table or create formulas after a year

Depends on the structure of the group. I just had an issue with a group for one of my clients that I consult. We got a lot of pushback anytime something was rolled, got a lot of requests for things that were either bad business or borderline criminal, and just generally had horrible interactions. Ultimately, we determined that the problem really stemmed from one person, everyone else was sorta following the example they had.

I recommended they cut her. They did. Group works a lot better now. SLAs are better, quality is better, etc. Just functioning "better". She was the cancer.

Just now, The Great American said:

It has everything to do with it if you understand the old and new covenant.  Try reading the Book of Hebrews some time.  

I understand it. You don't have to explain a thing to me.

Look, the point is, you're going to quote the bible when it fits your argument, and you're going to say something about "interpretation" or "Old vs new" when it doesn't. I can point to an unlimited number of things in  the bible that are complete and udder nonsense, and for each one, you're going to imply that each is open to interpretation.

Which is why your religion shouldn't have any bearing on laws or the rights of anyone else. Period.

Just now, eatcorn said:

I always find it odd how people with such varying beliefs about something so subjective always tell you, essentially, 'if you just believe the things I believe, then you'll agree with me', as though that premise doesn't apply to every person on Earth.

Add in that even among those that agree on certain things will have disagreements within their own faction of believers.

Just now, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Being jewish has nothing to do with it. Do you eat shrimp? Or lobster? Or oysters? Or calamari? Crab?

Yes/no question buddy.

i think this line of questioning is pointless because it doesn't matter whether or not he personally follows the tenets of the religion that you've created for him. i find playing rules gotcha with someone else's religion is worthless because the idea of "correct set of rules around a particular faith" is a premise i don't even agree to. it's all arbitrary. who cares?

3 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

I understand it. You don't have to explain a thing to me.

Look, the point is, you're going to quote the bible when it fits your argument, and you're going to say something about "interpretation" or "Old vs new" when it doesn't. I can point to an unlimited number of things in  the bible that are complete and udder nonsense, and for each one, you're going to imply that each is open to interpretation.

Which is why your religion shouldn't have any bearing on laws or the rights of anyone else. Period.

My religion does not have any bearings on civil law.  But I will be accountable before God one day if I obeyed His law.  

11 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

I always find it odd how people with such varying beliefs about something so subjective always tell you, essentially, 'if you just believe the things I believe, then you'll agree with me', as though that premise doesn't apply to every person on Earth.

Ah, the old question if truth is objective or subjective.  That one has been around for a while!!

Just now, achilles return said:

i think this line of questioning is pointless because it doesn't matter whether or not he personally follows the tenets of the religion that you've created for him. i find playing rules gotcha with someone else's religion is worthless because the idea of "correct set of rules around a particular faith" is a premise i don't even agree to. it's all arbitrary. who cares?

Well, yes and no. If he's partaking in his own religion, then by all means, he can make up whatever rules he wants to. Religion is really up to the believer. ****, I can create a religion around WAP, and no one can tell me what the rules are. So to that, I agree with you.

BUT... If you're going to use your religion to dictate how I and others are supposed to live, you better be following the rules of said religion. We aren't talking about something up to interpretation here. The text was clear... If it doesn't have fins or scales, don't eat it. Period. Fin. So, if you're using your religion based on your book, to tell me and others what I can and cannot do, then i'll kindly ask that you follow the same rules and regs set forth by your book. If you can't follow all of them as a believer in said religion, then don't expect me to follow any of them as a non-believer.

11 minutes ago, The Great American said:

It has everything to do with it if you understand the old and new covenant.  Try reading the Book of Hebrews some time.  

Wow, I missed this one.  Some of you need to come up with better arguments.  I'm trying to imagine any well informed, devout Christian being confronted with someone saying "but do you eat shrimp?" and having the foundations of their faith shaken.  Like their response is going to be "oh, no! I never thought of that!  Nothing makes sense anymore!"

3 minutes ago, The Great American said:

My religion does not have any bearings on civil law.  But I will be accountable before God one day if I obeyed His law.  

Civil law is pretty clear. Abortion is ok. That's been upheld.

So when will you stop fight against the law? Are you unlawful? Do you ignore other laws?

Just now, JDaveG said:

Wow, I missed this one.  Some of you need to come up with better arguments.  I'm trying to imagine any well informed, devout Christian being confronted with someone saying "but do you eat shrimp?" and having the foundations of their faith shaken.  Like their response is going to be "oh, no! I never thought of that!  Nothing makes sense anymore!"

Don't you have a gun club to bail out?

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series Thread: Michael Clayton (2007)