The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

6 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I do remember when both used to be a dollar...oof. And same, my wife and I barely eat out, especially considering I can cook a really nice steak dinner or something for half what it costs to get decent takeout. I cook a metric ****ton but we eat better than any of our friends who eat out 5 times a week and then complain that they don't have enough to buy groceries

yeah pretty much the same. We've gotten heavy on chicken since pork seems to be overpriced these days and cook like every other day. on the days that we don't cook it's either microwave dinners(love Marie Calendars) or just something random. Lately I've been coming home and making some egg and cheese sandwiches then throw in the air fryer for a few minutes. 

We eat out once a week and that's about it. That **** adds up quick when you got kids that aren't sharing servings lol. 

Just now, The Great American said:

Does this mean Trump is innocent of inciting a riot?  Isn't his impeachment based on these charges?  

The incitement isn’t just what he said on January 6th, but his role in organizing the rally, promoting it for a week or more beforehand, and his spreading of lies that he won the election for months.  So yeah, he incited the riot in multiple ways.

By the way, the situation in Myanmar is a lot more complicated than “military coup overthrows democratically elected leader”.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/02/world/asia/myanmar-coup-aung-san-suu-kyi.html

^^^^I can post the whole article if anyone wants.  Basically, Aung San Suu Kyi was moving towards consolidating power in an authoritarian way herself, and was very vocal in her support of the Rohingyan genocide that was led by the military.  And while I always prefer democracy to authoritarianism, we have to recognize that neither the military nor the president are good actors in this one.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Also, like clockwork, "Lady G" was trending this morning, just as it does every time Graham is in the news. The #Resistance continues to be just as homophobic/transphobic as they claim the right to be. There's plenty to criticize that spineless weasel over without mocking him for the time kinds of (alleged) consensual relationships between adults behind closed doors that liberals claim that conservatives try to attack. 

It's all just gross and a huge double standard by liberals.

I think his membership in the republican party, which has fought against LGBT rights for as long as I've been alive, opens him up to attacks on his alleged hypocrisy and cowardice.  I'm guessing 99% of the people who post about "Lady G" have no problem with gay people, unlike the people Graham represents.  I don't think its homophobic.  

2 minutes ago, The Great American said:

Does this mean Trump is innocent of inciting a riot?  Isn't his impeachment based on these charges?  

Nope.

His documented multiple comments/ lies about the election being stolen directly contributed to the plans.

He whipped these people into a frenzy with the talk of the election being stolen from him ....and them and then indicated that he would walk with them to the capital.

These people are stupid idiots but Trump's rhetoric  helped fuel the unrest.

He could have poured cold water on everything by admitting that he lost.

Just now, The Great American said:

Well, I think he is culpable to some extent. I really don’t see a way to remove him from the stolen election narrative and inviting a mass of protesters to Washington on that specific day, then telling them all to fight for him and that he would march with them right before they marched off to the capitol. He did those things right out in plain view on national television. Then there are reports that White House staff took an active role in planning the event and pushed the idea of marching to the capitol.

Its a tough charge to fully prove and I don’t really expect a conviction, but I’m not any kind of expert in this area at all. Regardless of who is involved I think the people who planned and participated need to be held accountable. This is a purely fascist movement holding up one man as a would be dictator. The people being supportive or excusing of what happened on 1/6 are not patriots.

This was the point I was making about removing MTG from committee spots...

But can we just pause for a moment to say how extraordinary it is for one party to dictate how the other party handles its committee assignments? Yes, Greene has said some really crazy stuff. But members on both sides are already privately talking about how this could set the House down the path of mutually assured destruction, with one party going directly after members of the other depending on which side’s in power. It would be a different story if Greene had said the things she did while in office; her most controversial utterances were from before she arrived in Congress.

So why are they doing this? Democratic leaders had been facing the possibilitythat their members would force a vote to expel Greene from Congress — an idea they privately shunned. Clearly leadership has decided this is the least destructive alternative. But make no mistake: It will have consequences for them, too.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/02/02/cheney-and-greene-face-their-reckonings-491599

Welp....

Been having cold chills this morning, that exhausted kind of “I think I’m getting sick” feeling, headaches that come and go, body temp is elevated to 99 currently.

Called my local VA clinic about getting tested, but they have outsourced it to an urgent care and the soonest I could make an appointment is tomorrow.

Haven't been sick in a long time. This is no fun. Already downed an Airborne tab, hopefully that helps.

:sadwave:

11 minutes ago, Carter said:

Welp....

Been having cold chills this morning, that exhausted kind of “I think I’m getting sick” feeling, headaches that come and go, body temp is elevated to 99 currently.

Called my local VA clinic about getting tested, but they have outsourced it to an urgent care and the soonest I could make an appointment is tomorrow.

Haven't been sick in a long time. This is no fun. Already downed an Airborne tab, hopefully that helps.

Sending good thoughts and energy your way man

20 minutes ago, Carter said:

Welp....

Feel better my dude, hoping for a negative test for you.

giphy.gif

I talked to my wife's aunt this morning, uncle is in really bad shape. Apparently he has fluid in his lungs, and even on the vent they wanted to do a tracheotomy.  She had resisted that, but apparently he's now scheduled for that tomorrow.  He's still in A-fib, his blood sugar has been spiking even though he's not a diabetic, and the medicines they're giving him cause his blood pressure to bottom out.  I talked with my wife afterwards, with everything else he's dealing with, we're not sure why they're even going to fool with the trach.  I'm honestly (as horrible as it sounds) surprised he has survived this long, and I still think it's any day now.  The older of his two pregnant daughters is 35 weeks along, I'm scared his death will cause her blood pressure to get out of whack again like last week and send her into early labor.  35 weeks isn't terrible, but would certainly prefer him to bake in the oven a few more weeks if possible.

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

They did my boy @Jdrizzle dirty

Literally I’ve been struggling with this for the past several months.  Like every time I get into a moderate exercise groove something ends up getting tweaked.  I’ve had what felt like strains or stress fractures on the top of one foot, then the other foot, then what felt like a mildly sprained ankle, and there’s a recurring shoulder pain, and what feels like a tight hamstring.  It’s not all at once, but more like one irritating thing every week or so.  And none of it is so painful that I feel justified going to the doctor.  And I’m trying to figure out when I should lay off and let it heal and when I should push through it.  It’s really f’ing annoying.  

33 minutes ago, Carter said:

Welp....

Prayers up. Feel better soon, hope it's just a nasty flu and you test negative.

17 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

I'm shocked - absolutely shocked - that Democrats would promise one thing, reneg to another, and then negotiate down from there.

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

Literally I’ve been struggling with this for the past several months.  Like every time I get into a moderate exercise groove something ends up getting tweaked.  I’ve had what felt like strains or stress fractures on the top of one foot, then the other foot, then what felt like a mildly sprained ankle, and there’s a recurring shoulder pain, and what feels like a tight hamstring.  It’s not all at once, but more like one irritating thing every week or so.  And none of it is so painful that I feel justified going to the doctor.  And I’m trying to figure out when I should lay off and let it heal and when I should push through it.  It’s really f’ing annoying.  

How often do you stretch? I used to get strains and shin splints regularly until I started doing 2-3 minute warm ups and wind downs. I figure you probably already know but it was something I neglected until recently

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread