The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

22 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Remind me how trading for Tony G mired us in mediocrity, which is the pertinent part of the discussion. 

Tony G didn't come to a team that was in cap **** and couldn't even sign their own draft picks. Our team was in a healthier position cap wise and Tony G still didn't move us into Contender status.   Pitts is a rookie coming into a team that is in a nightmare scenario cap wise. We have reports of us trading Julio because of our cap situation. 

Just now, Southern California Liar said:

I was just trying to be funny.

Meet me at the Waffle House you piece of ****.

I never endorsed the sentiment.  I was just responding to the question, what five words would revoke your southern card. 

1 minute ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Tony G didn't come to a team that was in cap **** and couldn't even sign their own draft picks. Our team was in a healthier position cap wise and Tony G still didn't move us into Contender status.   Pitts is a rookie coming into a team that is in a nightmare scenario cap wise. We have reports of us trading Julio because of our cap situation. 

The premise presented was that drafting Pitts was a signal the Falcons were choosing to be mediocre: which is ridiculous. Drafting the best player in the draft doesn't signal that AT ALL. 

While all true, nothing you are saying above changes the wrongness of the premise I was contradicting. 

Drafting Fields would have been the signal that we were choosing a path of mediocrity, at least for the next few years with the likely outcome being a few years of salary purging and rebuilding through the draft around a new QB that would need a few years of seasoning to be ready. 

I was prepared for either path, and would have been fine with either. I'm just pointing out how wrong it is to suggest drafting Pitts is a signal of mediocrity. 

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread