The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

Just now, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

And the funny part is he will probably have 1.6 million people vote against him only, in a state that will probably have 20 million voters. 

Nah rich boy flaunting the strict covid rules he put into place has definitely developed some resentment against him. 

They're gonna lose but there is definitely gonna be a **** this dude vote.

2 minutes ago, Southern California Liar said:

Nah rich boy flaunting the strict covid rules he put into place has definitely developed some resentment against him. 

They're gonna lose but there is definitely gonna be a **** this dude vote.

Do you see someone on the left challenging? 

Because I don’t see deep blue Cali holding their noses and voting Red enough to even make this one close. 

2 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Sorry, but that’s just not true.  The economy is the single biggest factor that explains election outcomes regardless of which party is in control.  Clinton and Obama’s reelections were both driven by the economic recoveries.  

Edit:  Also, when you said “if that and healthcare are their focus and they cannot pick up seats in both houses” — are you saying if Dems can’t pick up seats in both houses or Republicans?  Because there’s very little other than a booming economy that Dems can do to stop midterm losses.  

It's going to be interesting how much of this political science dogma will continue to ring true, and which will no longer apply as we progress into the social media/cable news driven hyperpartisan hellscape. It just feels the the game is being played by entirely different rules now. 

4 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

It's going to be interesting how much of this political science dogma will continue to ring true, and which will no longer apply as we progress into the social media/cable news driven hyperpartisan hellscape. It just feels the the game is being played by entirely different rules now. 

It’s all held true so far, including the election last year.  Until there’s some actual evidence that elections are operating under different dynamics, I’ll stick with the explanations that have worked for the past 60 years or so.   

1 minute ago, Leon Troutsky said:

It’s all held true so far, including the election last year.  Until there’s some actual evidence that elections are operating under different dynamics, I’ll stick with the explanations that have worked for the past 60 years or so.   

I know you question the damage that social media is doing to society as a whole. You've said as much.

You really don't question whether or not the most influential invention in the past 100 years is influencing elections? I'll even take it a step further and say that I recall you saying it played a part in a civil war I believe it was........ but influencing a US election is a step too far? Why?

4 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

One major party is openly embracing authoritarianism and our corporate media is seemingly trying to normalize it. I have a feeling that's going to make some election models obsolete going into the future. 

23 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Do you see someone on the left challenging? 

Because I don’t see deep blue Cali holding their noses and voting Red enough to even make this one close. 

No, I think they're gonna lose in tremendous fashion but there's an actual resentment level and enough swing voters where there will be a dip in his support............and deservedly so.

I mean it feels pretty obvious to me right now that the only thing keeping the political studies of the last 60 years relevant is the older voters participating more.

As the boomers die out social media plays a bigger role. Every election that somebody holds onto the last 60 years the closer they are gonna get to wrong. Its the natural progression with a world changing event thrown in to complicate things even further. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2019/01/17/generation-z-looks-a-lot-like-millennials-on-key-social-and-political-issues/

5 minutes ago, 40milesN said:

Why doesn't anyone consider that Julio may be asking for a trade.  I think he's unhappy here.

Why? The city loves him. He's on the field on every down he's able. He's making as much here as he would anywhere else. 

Unless he just wants a ring, which he will never get here. 

Oh great, right in my hometown. Also in MTGs district. Not surprising at all...

'

New indictments shed light on alleged terror cell in Rome, Ga.

The recent indictments of two more men connected to an alleged neo-Nazi terror cell in Floyd County shine new light on the reach of the group known as the Base.

Duncan Christopher Trimmell, 23 of Austin, Texas, and Brandon Gregory Ashley, 21 of Hayden, Ala., face charges of animal cruelty related to the alleged theft and ritual beheading of a ram or goat on Halloween 2019, according to an indictment handed down by a Floyd County grand jury earlier this month.

The charges, first reported by the Rome News-Tribune, reveal more of the web of what authorities describe as a criminal gang whose members planned to kill a Bartow County couple they suspected of being anti-fascist activists. Group members were arrested as part of a undercover investigation by state and federal law enforcement before they could carry out the plot.

Trimmell and Ashley join six other men believed to have come to an isolated property in the Silver Creek community south of Rome where an undercover law enforcement officer said they shot guns, took drugs and planned for a race war as part of a white supremacist group known as the Base.'

I think the biggest disconnect I have with the "Rednecks and Rebels" in my area is the fact that their default position is "Back the armed division of the local government " and defend them at all costs. 

You can't be a ******* rebel with a blue flag flying in your yard or on your car. Who the **** do they think is writing the laws they're enforcing. How the Feds used black folks to turn the rebels into bootlickers is the greatest psyop of all time in America. 

Imagine thinking you're a rebel while cheering on lower taxes for corporations with a blue flag in your yard.

58 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Oh great, right in my hometown. Also in MTGs district. Not surprising at all...

'

New indictments shed light on alleged terror cell in Rome, Ga.

The recent indictments of two more men connected to an alleged neo-Nazi terror cell in Floyd County shine new light on the reach of the group known as the Base.

Duncan Christopher Trimmell, 23 of Austin, Texas, and Brandon Gregory Ashley, 21 of Hayden, Ala., face charges of animal cruelty related to the alleged theft and ritual beheading of a ram or goat on Halloween 2019, according to an indictment handed down by a Floyd County grand jury earlier this month.

The charges, first reported by the Rome News-Tribune, reveal more of the web of what authorities describe as a criminal gang whose members planned to kill a Bartow County couple they suspected of being anti-fascist activists. Group members were arrested as part of a undercover investigation by state and federal law enforcement before they could carry out the plot.

Trimmell and Ashley join six other men believed to have come to an isolated property in the Silver Creek community south of Rome where an undercover law enforcement officer said they shot guns, took drugs and planned for a race war as part of a white supremacist group known as the Base.'

Interesting. "Al-Qaeda" is Arabic for "the Base". Birds of a feather, I guess.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread