The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

3 minutes ago, Aleksandr sportolli said:

My first full-time job ever was in a plastics factory. Part of the job that I was really good at was particularly dangerous as it was literally picking up plastic pieces on top of razor blades.  The guy on the other side of the machine throws a big sheet of plastic on top of a board lined with razor blades and then hits a button which runs the die through two big rubber wheels. He's the thrower. The puller pulls those cut pieces off of the razor blades. I was really really good at the pulling part.......like extremely good. But I was working 12 hours a day 5 days a week and **** happens. Long story short.....stitches three times and finally I decided to do some research. Found some relatively cheap gloves that were cut proof.....went to management and showed them the gloves and the price compared to folks quitting left and right because they weren't as dumb as me. Management bought the gloves, no more stitches, and better retention rates.

In closing if your employer gives one **** about you......they'll provide the gloves.

you think you can get me some 4x8 plastic sheets (3/8 thick)

3 minutes ago, NightPain said:

Also I’m pretty sure a seasoned blue collar worker can differentiate between a job that needs gloves and a job that requires precision.

Then that's not her then :lol:

Just now, achilles return said:

genuinely curious how you would quantify this

Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong instead. 

These are the times I miss me and Free Rad's science arguments. 

10 minutes ago, Sponge said:

you think you can get me some 4x8 plastic sheets (3/8 thick)

They shut down the Georgia factory and moved everything to the St. Louis during the great recession. 

They never messed with anything that thick beyond trial runs though. They tried it once and the extruders and machinery they had just couldn't handle it. Huge difference in the pressure kicking out a .35 mil sheet of plastic compared to a **** near half inch plastic sheet. That **** is like a rock coming down the line.

2 minutes ago, Aleksandr sportolli said:

They shut down the Georgia factory and moved everything to the St. Louis during the great recession. 

They never messed with anything that thick beyond trial runs though. They tried it once and the extruders and machinery they had just couldn't handle it. Huge difference in the pressure kicking out a .35 mil sheet of plastic compared to a **** near half inch plastic sheet. That **** is like a rock coming down the line.

I used to make dies that cut plastic sheets, cardboard, etc. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I think I've talked about it before but my first day of full-time work was seriously September 11th of 2001. 

I was just out there pulling plastic when the maintenance man said there was a plane in the world trade center. Said it in passing and me and the other guy thought it was just something like a two prop plane or some ****. He walked by later on and said there was another one and me and the other guy were like..........okay this seems planned.

It wasn't until the secretary at the time brought a TV into the plant that we knew what it was.

Just now, achilles return said:

i just don't know how you measure something like that and confidently declare one smarter than the other lol

Tell me how Einstein is smarter than Da Vinci. Consider the time period Da Vinci lived in too. Einstein had a gift of creating a mental picture of complex problems. 

Quote from retired university professor when asked if Da Vinci was the smartest...

It depends entirely on how you define intelligence. The Middle Ages was topped off by Thomas Aquinas who was the great compromiser with church doctrinal teachings and thereby opened up much of what we consider to be the liberal arts and sciences to free investigation. So were it not for Aquinas, people like da Vinci, and Galileo, and more modern geniuses like Einstein would have spent their lives being told that the things they most loved to explore and think about were sinful and forbidden. There are a couple other biggies like that, (like Newton), but Leonardo is the lead horse by far when we look for candidates for the BROADEST intellect in modern western history at least. But let’s not leave out Lao Tsu in China, and Maimonides, and any of the great scientific geniuses during the later centuries from anywhere else in the world.

But if you are looking for a “Man for all Seasons,” then he’s your top dog alright! He is our model for what we mean when we say, “Renaissance Man”.

1 minute ago, Sponge said:

I used to make dies that cut plastic sheets, cardboard, etc. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Thats not all that different from what I pulled from. We'd remove the foam pieces in strategic locations though and beef em up in others. There by the end we had a die repair kit where I had to bend the razor blades to fit the die. I enjoyed that way more than pulling the pieces from the board at an extremely high speed.

5 minutes ago, achilles return said:

but if we're throwing names out there for smartest dudes in history i feel like newton has to be in contention.

I respect that opinion. And don't think I didn't consider him too. But imo, it's Da Vinci.

1 minute ago, Aleksandr sportolli said:

Thats not all that different from what I pulled from. We'd remove the foam pieces in strategic locations though and beef em up in others. There by the end we had a die repair kit where I had to bend the razor blades to fit the die. I enjoyed that way more than pulling the pieces from the board at an extremely high speed.

I worked a bandsaw to cut the channels for the rule. Then I hammered the rule in and glued down the foam- (that pushes the plastic up off the rule once it cut). Then handed it off to the press operator. 

1 minute ago, Aleksandr sportolli said:

My favorite scar/injury is an upside down smiley face I have on my bird finger on my right hand. I had to wear a metal brace for a few weeks while the stitches healed and I got to flick off everybody from the owner on down and I still get to show that one off today.

My back right shoulder looks like a star constellation from goat bones that exploded from a ied.

5 minutes ago, Sponge said:

Tell me how Einstein is smarter than Da Vinci. Consider the time period Da Vinci lived in too. Einstein had a gift of creating a mental picture of complex problems. 

Quote from retired university professor when asked if Da Vinci was the smartest...

It depends entirely on how you define intelligence. The Middle Ages was topped off by Thomas Aquinas who was the great compromiser with church doctrinal teachings and thereby opened up much of what we consider to be the liberal arts and sciences to free investigation. So were it not for Aquinas, people like da Vinci, and Galileo, and more modern geniuses like Einstein would have spent their lives being told that the things they most loved to explore and think about were sinful and forbidden. There are a couple other biggies like that, (like Newton), but Leonardo is the lead horse by far when we look for candidates for the BROADEST intellect in modern western history at least. But let’s not leave out Lao Tsu in China, and Maimonides, and any of the great scientific geniuses during the later centuries from anywhere else in the world.

But if you are looking for a “Man for all Seasons,” then he’s your top dog alright! He is our model for what we mean when we say, “Renaissance Man”.

He was also a bit of a physical freak of nature.

They called him ‘the strongest man in Florence’ and it’s said he could bend a horseshoe with one hand.

1 minute ago, Sponge said:

i have no method or ability to measure the intellectual capability of these two men. i don't see how anyone can. 

and that's a cool quote from some dude, but it's not exactly authoritative or anything. 

i'm just saying i don't understand how anyone can confidently rank the "smartest people in history". it seems like an impossible thing to actually know.

now if you were to ask me whose accomplishments were more significant to society, i'd lean with newton and einstein over da vinci, personally. 

18 minutes ago, achilles return said:

now if you were to ask me whose accomplishments were more significant to society, i'd lean with newton and einstein over da vinci, personally. 

I get what you're saying. There's no ruler to stick up to them to see who's the smartest. But Einstein wouldn't be Einstein w/out Newton and Da Vinci paving the way before him. Einstein was gifted but he would have never came up with his train thought experiment in Da Vinci's time because there was no trains. Da Vinci and Newton were way ahead of their time. Einstein had other competing physicist like Planck and Bohr that were on his same level, along with 20 other great physicist of the early 20th century.

23 minutes ago, achilles return said:

but if we're throwing names out there for smartest dudes in history i feel like newton has to be in contention.

Virgins are disqualified 

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread