The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

This whole teacher-student thing is definitely a double standard.

My senior year, I had a student teacher in my Senior English class. Ms. Gerber. My cousin Drew and his wife were about 3 years older than me (they were 21-22ish), and his wife worked at the mall as a store manager. I went to their house one weekend to party. They had a spare bedroom with a pullout couch, so I would just crash there.

So, I showed up and start drinking. He had a neighbor who was a cop, Bob, and his roommate who was like 5'2", Bob (no BS.) We're all sitting around, house is packed. I started walking through the house, and bumped into this little blond chick. It was Ms. Gerber. So, we're both in a little awkward situation, drinking, running into a teacher/student at a house party. I asked why she was hanging out at my cousin's house. She actually worked for Rachel (his wife) at the mall part time, since she didn't get paid squat for student teaching. Rachel invited her, not knowing that I was in her class.

So, long story short, I ended up sleeping on the same pullout couch as my super hot student teacher. Nothing inappropriate happened, and neither one of us ever said anything about it, ever. But, I did get an A+ on my Senior Research Paper in English, which was a required thing to graduate...

With that said, we had 2 guy teachers who definitely seemed to walk the line between inappropriate and downright predatory. One was a young guy, looked like a mini Freddie Prinze Jr, the other was an Hawaiian dude who rode a crotch rocket to school. Freddie would show up to house parties all the time. The girls loved him. He'd sit around and talk and these high school chicks would flock. I don't know if anything ever happened, but I would be surprised if it didn't. Hawaiian was the same. He would show up to parties, take girls for rides on t he motorcycle, and show his tattoos on a whim (he was a wrestling and football coach, absolutely jacked...)

Both situations are messed up in hindsight. But the dude teachers doing it just felt more "dirty". Maybe I'm a bit biased, since I know that nothing happened with Gerber. Maybe I'm being sexist in assuming that a girl my age wouldn't have the ability to understand a situation. Who knows.

6 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

TBF, this is America! There are A LOT($hitton) of things named after f*cked people in this country! (There’s an entire theme park of that in her old district! With a big @ss carving)

So why not a dumb@ss black woman as well!?? 

She was a member of congress and made noises about Jews doing 9/11 😬

8 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

There is something fundamentally wrong with us that, in Social media, Clint Capela was "posterized" "had his life ended" "PRP Clint Capela" etc etc . . . Because Lamar Peterson (?!?!) played piss poor perimeter defense and Capela had to step up late.  Peterson first gave up too much space, then came too far out too quickly.  Bridges had 20 feet of free space to accelerate and elevate.   

FORGET that Capela had a 15 rebounds and 20 points.  Forget that the Hawks won a critical game without Young, Collins, Hunter and others.  

FORGET Capela's contribution all season.

Let's all claim Capela is less of a man because someone took advantage a teammate's mistake and made a great dunk.

I hate social media.

They have made winning the game thirddary(yes, it’s less than secondary now) to a single highlight to make you say ohhhh!! 

I remember a time ago when ESPN(this sports network no longer exist as it has been replaced by an entertainment network now) would at best only show a losers highlight in the top ten section and NOT in the actual game highlights BECAUSE THEY LOST with only scoring two points over the last 3:00 end of the game collapse. :lol:

42 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

D@mn, that dunk made the difference in the game, as it was worth 10 points!!! Wished That three pointer right after would have negated it! 

would have won otherwise. :argh:

Wait.... 🧐

Oh yeah, great win, playing without Trae, JC, Hunter, Gallo, Snell, Cam, and Dunn.

12 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

There is something fundamentally wrong with us that, in Social media, Clint Capela was "posterized" "had his life ended" "PRP Clint Capela" etc etc . . . Because Lamar Peterson (?!?!) played piss poor perimeter defense and Capela had to step up late.  Peterson first gave up too much space, then came too far out too quickly.  Bridges had 20 feet of free space to accelerate and elevate.   

FORGET that Capela had a 15 rebounds and 20 points.  Forget that the Hawks won a critical game without Young, Collins, Hunter and others.  

FORGET Capela's contribution all season.

Let's all claim Capela is less of a man because someone took advantage a teammate's mistake and made a great dunk.

I hate social media.

Cap should be top 2 for DPOY. He's a flat out beast. He also had the soul dunked straight the **** out of him. Both can be true. ****, the only reason it's such a memorable dunk is because he's a top-end shot blocker. Over anyone else, it's just a massive dunk.  And it happens. Dikembe had several poster dunks over him. It's what happens when you don't cower away like most guys do.

All told though it's one of the best in-game dunks i've ever seen (and I watched Nique!) and it's fine for people to be enjoying it. Cap will have the final revenge and should definitely end up on some all-defensive team.

9 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

Oh yeah, great win, playing without Trae, JC, Hunter, Gallo, Snell, Cam, and Dunn.

Cap should be top 2 for DPOY. He's a flat out beast. He also had the soul dunked straight the **** out of him. Both can be true. ****, the only reason it's such a memorable dunk is because he's a top-end shot blocker. Over anyone else, it's just a massive dunk.  And it happens. Dikembe had several poster dunks over him. It's what happens when you don't cower away like most guys do.

All told though it's one of the best in-game dunks i've ever seen (and I watched Nique!) and it's fine for people to be enjoying it. Cap will have the final revenge and should definitely end up on some all-defensive team.

Clint starting (finally) to get some DPOY hype in mainstream media. Dude has totally transformed the team defense.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/02/10/clint-capela-hawks-defense-anchor

5 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

Clint starting (finally) to get some DPOY hype in mainstream media. Dude has totally transformed the team defense.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/02/10/clint-capela-hawks-defense-anchor

1 minute ago, Sponge said:

Imo, Cap is the Hawks MVP this entire season

He's only 26. I think he needs to remain a centerpiece of this team instead of letting him walk and trying to let Onyeka fill his shoes, which I just don't think he can do. 

20 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

So why is the focus on the dunkee rather than the dunker? 

Why do he have to dunk on the guy who's getting dunked on? 

oh.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

He's only 26. I think he needs to remain a centerpiece of this team instead of letting him walk and trying to let Onyeka fill his shoes, which I just don't think he can do. 

I don't think OO can fill Cap's shoes, though I'm definitely giving him way more time. Rookie bigs take awhile, and this year is especially difficult as he had no pre-season with injury and there's basically no in-season practice. He also brings a slightly different defensive skillset - his feet guarding the perimeter are exceptional. And he's averaging 2 blocks per 36, which is good. He'll never be the straight rim protector, but he should nevertheless be a very valuable defensive chip.

The nice thing is there's no rush here. Cap is signed for 2 more years after this so we get to see how he ages.

1 minute ago, HolyMoses said:

So why is the focus on the dunkee rather than the dunker? 

Why do he have to dunk on the guy who's getting dunked on? 

oh.

Think you're taking it a wee bit personally. I promise the Hawks players are giving him **** about it too, lovingly of course. It's just how it works.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread