Jump to content

The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread


Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I don’t want a QB at 4. I think it’s a mistake. 

I don’t want the 3rd or 4th best QB at #4.  I’d take Trevor Lawrence at that spot in a heartbeat, but by all accounts the top 2-3 picks are QB.  So taking Pitts at that spot with the top QB’s off the board makes a ton of sense to me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

She drove him there on the night he killed those people.  

Oh I know, I was just gonna stop short of calling her a murderer enabler. But I guess there is no need since she raised him to think that way and also facilitated the act to boot. She and he deserve every bad thing that happens to them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I don’t want the 3rd or 4th best QB at #4.  I’d take Trevor Lawrence at that spot in a heartbeat, but by all accounts the top 2-3 picks are QB.  So taking Pitts at that spot with the top QB’s off the board makes a ton of sense to me.  

The 3rd of 4th best QB argument just doesn't hold weight with me because the NFL is full of star QB's who weren't the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or whatever best QB that year. If you've got scouts that you trust and "their guy" lands in your spot I can see the scenario where you go QB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And yeah, shame on the Braves. Part of an article from the Athletic today: 

Schultz: MLB made right call on All-Star Game, and shame on Braves for their response

By Jeff Schultz 1h ago

ATLANTA — The right decisions are often the hardest decisions. It doesn’t mean there’s any sense of joy associated with pulling a major sports event out of a city that wants to celebrate its team and sainted hero. It certainly doesn’t mean that perceived duplicitous and racially motivated actions of some politicians suddenly will evaporate and the angels will descend from the heavens.

But MLB commissioner Rob Manfred really had no choice but to pull the All-Star Game out of Atlanta on Friday.

Put aside for a moment any political leanings and thoughts of the new election laws that Georgia Republicans pushed through recently. Just think of the backdrop Atlanta and the baseball world were facing. An exhibition that exists to celebrate a sport, its stars and its history, an event that would commemorate the baseball and humanitarian achievements of the late, great Hank Aaron, who died two months ago, an event that would take place in the home city of Aaron and the home state of Jackie Robinson — two Black baseball heroes who stood for all that was good — would unfold against so much strife.

Imagine protests. Imagine players pulling out. Imagine a mess at a time when we just don’t need another mess. Even as things are, there are not nearly enough “extras” in extra-strength Tylenol to cure everybody’s headache.

Manfred, who risked losing any semblance of cache he still has left with the players, had no choice. By late Wednesday night, this was the snowball from **** that nobody saw coming, rolling downhill and was now the size of Jupiter.

Delta put out a statement. Coca-Cola put out a statement. The president — of the United States, not baseball — said he would “strongly support” moving the game out of Georgia. This was after he already had referred to Georgia’s election laws as “Jim Crow in the 21st century.”

Four of Atlanta’s pro sports franchises weighed in and denounced the election laws: The Falcons, the Hawks, the Dream, Atlanta United. The Braves remained silent. No shock there.

The Athletic spoke with two important Atlantans on this subject Monday: former ambassador and Atlanta Mayor Andrew Young, who was a close friend of Aaron, and Raynal Aaron, Hank’s grandson. Both denounced the laws. Both speculated that if Aaron was alive today, he likely would not push for a boycott but rather use the game as some sort of platform. It was a novel thought. But there was an increasing likelihood of players sitting out, and after President Biden spoke, it was difficult to imagine the game happening.

On some level, Raynal Aaron probably understood that. His only comment to The Athletic on MLB’s decision Friday was, “I think the actions of Major League Baseball have spoken enough today.”

Better than the actions of the Braves. They weren’t silent Friday. They did worse.

Rather than expressing disappointment but acknowledging MLB’s clear conflict and conveying that this probably was the correct decision, given the circumstances, the organization issued the mother of all tone-deaf statements: “This was neither our decision, nor our recommendation and we are saddened that fans will not be able to see this event in our city. The Braves’ organization will continue to stress the importance of equal voting opportunities and we had hoped our city could use this event as a platform to enhance the discussion. Our city has always been known as a uniter in divided times and we will miss the opportunity to address issues that are important to our community. Unfortunately, businesses, employees and fans in Georgia are the victims of this decision.”

Shame on them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

How much is your typical power bill?

155 a month ( budget app verified ). Saw my numbers and my wife is probably not going to feel it.  If the rates do go up 4% a year then it will pay for itself in about 14 years 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Aleksandr sportolli said:

The 3rd of 4th best QB argument just doesn't hold weight with me because the NFL is full of star QB's who weren't the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or whatever best QB that year. If you've got scouts that you trust and "their guy" lands in your spot I can see the scenario where you go QB.

Yeah, but this year there are, in my humble opinion, only two standout QB’s in the draft.  Below that and you’re talking lower 1st round or even 2nd round talent.  Why take them at #4?  Trade down if that’s the case.  

But Pitts is legit a #4 pick or even better.  And we’re stuck with Matt Ryan for at least one and maybe three more seasons.  So grab the unicorn this year and add yet another weapon to Ryan’s arsenal.  And then next year or the year after we can look at Matt Ryan’s replacement when either the QB talent is deeper or we have another shot at top 10 draft pick.  

And of course if the Falcons can “Money Ball” a lower round QB like the Patriots did with Tom Brady then I’m all about that.  I view PItts as a once-in-a-generation talent and the other QB’s below the top 2 this year as just being okay, at least for a #4 pick in the draft.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Big_Dog said:

OMG . . . .  YOU FOUND A POSSIBLE FLAW IN THE BIDEN FAMILY.

Wow.

I’m sure people will care about something a recovering drug addict did several years ago instead of the congressman that has been engaged in sex trafficking and several other felonies.

SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!! FROM THE GOP CONGRESSMAN!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, lostone said:

Well y’all, I’m looking into solar.  I am now going to have to wade through the propaganda to get a full opinion.  After 2 sessions, 1 wants $178 a month for 25 years and the other wants 160 for 20 years (no battery).  The one at 178 offers a battery which would push me to 221 for 25 years and the other I have to buy the battery up front (16k - 23k)

2 more company quotes after this

If you don’t go fully off the grid the you will get charged a nice penalty for having solar in AZ and they can increase it at any time for no reason.

That and having solar doesn’t really add anything to the value of the house kept me from going solar when I lived in AZ but that was back in 2014. Things could be different now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Yeah, but this year there are, in my humble opinion, only two standout QB’s in the draft.  Below that and you’re talking lower 1st round or even 2nd round talent.  Why take them at #4?  Trade down if that’s the case.  

But Pitts is legit a #4 pick or even better.  And we’re stuck with Matt Ryan for at least one and maybe three more seasons.  So grab the unicorn this year and add yet another weapon to Ryan’s arsenal.  And then next year or the year after we can look at Matt Ryan’s replacement when either the QB talent is deeper or we have another shot at top 10 draft pick.  

And of course if the Falcons can “Money Ball” a lower round QB like the Patriots did with Tom Brady then I’m all about that.  I view PItts as a once-in-a-generation talent and the other QB’s below the top 2 this year as just being okay, at least for a #4 pick in the draft.  

I was an early boarder on the Pitts train. That said.......folks who get paid millions of dollars are really really bad at projecting college QB's into the NFL so I just don't even try there 

 

Arthur Smith made Ryan Tannehill a quality+ starter though so I trust his and TF's judgement for now. I just question whether or not it's a + in Smiths direction or Adam Gase is just that bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like the way this dude thinks about football though. Especially the part where he calls QB's ******* basically.

That’s the best thing about an O-lineman,” he said. “You get called fat, dumb and stupid so many times that after a while it doesn’t matter what happens out there. It prepares you for the job. All of these quarterbacks, they get sensitive. They get a little bit of criticism from you or someone on the internet, and they want to go and cry.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

If you don’t go fully off the grid the you will get charged a nice penalty for having solar in AZ and they can increase it at any time for no reason.

That and having solar doesn’t really add anything to the value of the house kept me from going solar when I lived in AZ but that was back in 2014. Things could be different now.

It still does not add much if at all.

It adds some desirability but in terms of dollar for dollar on resale value....it is minimal.

Especially if there are not alot of comps in the area for it.

I have read that it could add "up to" 4 %

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...