The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

I think the Washington Football Team should change their name to a more respectable way to honor Native Americans instead of what they have now. The should have a native American committee to come up with a name to honor themselves. I get the impression that Snyder said "if we can't be named Redskins, then we just won't have a team name". Their team name now is about as generic as it gets. 

4 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

What do you think the White suburban liberals can and should do about how Native Americans are treated? 

First, you have to recognize the cause of the white liberal, which they're really acting in their own self interest to draw attention to themselves. They should do nothing, they ruin everything they touch. 

2 minutes ago, achilles return said:

dan snyder didn’t give a single **** about the opinions of “white suburban liberals” so i don’t see how washington fits into this at all 

Snyder only changed it to get ahead of the sexual harassment scandal involving WFT cheerleaders.  He never would have caved to the pressure otherwise.

1 minute ago, Sponge said:

First, you have to recognize the cause of the white liberal, which they're really acting in their own self interest to draw attention to themselves. They should do nothing, they ruin everything they touch. 

This is kind of nonsensical, leading me to believe that you really just want to dunk on white suburban liberals...which is fine...but odd considering that you're doing so just to bring attention to yourself. 

Tell us about the things you've done to help the Native American community.

6 minutes ago, Sponge said:

I think the Washington Football Team should change their name to a more respectable way to honor Native Americans instead of what they have now. The should have a native American committee to come up with a name to honor themselves. 

This is a not bad idea, but it would also bring even more attention to the team name issue over other priorities, so not sure why you'd support parading out Native Americans as some kind of sideshow to something you say doesn't matter anyway,

10 hours ago, Aleksandr sportolli said:

Mannnnnn......so apparently there's some kind of filter on TikTok where you can upload a persons face and it makes it move and smile.

My niece put my grandfathers face in there and sent it to me. This deep fake **** is scary. I know it's fake but it's still hitting on some basic emotional responses hard.

I shared this years ago, when my 16 year old was in elementary school, I was driving her to school one morning and saw a doppelganger of my father (he ran a local archery store/shooting range) driving a big truck.  I was barely able to keep it together to drop her off, and I ******* lost it after I got her to school. Straight up ugly cried.

1 minute ago, eatcorn said:

This is a not bad idea, but it would also bring even more attention to the team name issue over other priorities, so not sure why you'd support parading out Native Americans as some kind of sideshow to something you say doesn't matter anyway,

The blow back we'll get from the far right is that they'll say they need a "white committee" so they can have their own "race related" team name. I.E. ....."what about white history month?!?!"

2 minutes ago, Sponge said:

The blow back we'll get from the far right is that they'll say they need a "white committee" so they can have their own "race related" team name. I.E. ....."what about white history month?!?!"

I haven't cared about what the psycho Republican party has to say about this kind of thing for a LOOOONG time now.

13 minutes ago, Sponge said:

I think the Washington Football Team should change their name to a more respectable way to honor Native Americans instead of what they have now. The should have a native American committee to come up with a name to honor themselves. I get the impression that Snyder said "if we can't be named Redskins, then we just won't have a team name". Their team name now is about as generic as it gets. 

You make a great point and I really like your committee idea !!  But I also like their current team name and I'm actually kinda envious.  How many pro teams can call themselves, THE Football Team?    

Just now, The Great American said:

You make a great point and I really like your committee idea !!  But I also like their current team name and I'm actually kinda envious.  How many pro teams can call themselves, THE Football Team?    

Sounds like a European soccer team imo

Just now, achilles return said:

sponge do you think any white person can be sincere about racial justice or do you think everyone’s pretending 

White has nothing to do with it. It's the political motivation behind certain white groups from both sides. 

3 minutes ago, achilles return said:

yeah honestly “the washington football team” started as a meme but eventually got some momentum on its own. it was fairly popular by the end of the season, at least online.

It largely happened because all of the leading possibilities of new names was leaked and squatters swooped in and registered all of them.

They were dumb for announcing they were changing the name without having the new name already lined up, but that may end up being the best thing in the end.

Just now, achilles return said:

ok, do you think any progressives are sincere, then? are there true believers or are they doing it for attention?

Yes, their are progressives that are sincere because they have been affected directly. But you also can't dismiss the large amount of progressive race hustlers with their own agenda.

1 minute ago, Sponge said:

Yes, their are progressives that are sincere because they have been affected directly. But you also can't dismiss the large amount of progressive race hustlers with their own agenda.

is being directly affected a requirement for sincerity? and in what way do you think the hustlers’ agenda differs from the true believers?

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread