The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

6 minutes ago, Sponge said:

On the flip side, Chinatown in S.F. is seeing Asians being targeted by black folks. An Asian guy interviewed described it like the L.A. riots where "Asians took to the rooftops". So now they have unarmed Asian groups patrolling the streets. This is a recipe for racial profiling that can snowball into something worse.

Same side, actually. The article didn't identify the two teens so they may have been Black. The Devil is busy.

Saw this last year and found it interesting:

1 minute ago, achilles return said:

. the american soldier is also a victim of us imperialism,

but i think you're less likely to see people on the left buying into the idea that american lives are somehow inherently worth more just because they're american. 

These are the same soldiers that made minimum wage with no money for college, so they join the military to have a livable (-irony) wage. 

I've seen first hand how people in the ME value life. @Mr. Hoopah! since you're against the death penalty, don't vacation there. EVERYONE there is 100% for it, and for reasons that would make your stomach churn. They're old school thinking when it comes to punishment. I was told by my superior not to intervene when I see "domestic violence"....and doesn't mean the same thing here.

But I know what you mean AR, children playing in the street, then the street explodes to kill that one terrorist 500ft away.

I once met a 10 year old fat Afghan kid that was basically a mob boss of the village, and he ruled all the other kids with an iron fist. He would cuss at us in Arabic when on patrol.

15 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Same side, actually. The article didn't identify the two teens so they may have been Black. The Devil is busy.

Saw this last year and found it interesting:

People are just evil. You'd think that the discovery of electricity would speed up evolution but nope.

19 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

If they don't want to make $7.25 they can always get a job in manufacturing, big retail or Chic Fil A. May require actually doing a little work here and there but it'll pay off

The trade industry (plumber, electricians, etc) is starving for employees during the pandemic. Most will hire apprentice that start around $12. After 5 years of apprenticeship, you make 65K starting out. Lots of women are on job sites now doing trade work.

Oh and among other things we had a blow up about, my dad was trying to argue with me that teachers unions are the real problem with US education and also No Child Left Behind was all Ted Kennedy’s fault and Dubya’s only failing there was trying to reach across the aisle to work with him.

I was already salty af when I came here 😑

3 minutes ago, Sponge said:

The trade industry (plumber, electricians, etc) is starving for employees during the pandemic. Most will hire apprentice that start around $12. After 5 years of apprenticeship, you make 65K starting out. Lots of women are on job sites now doing trade work.

Plenty of work out there for people. I pointed that out a month ago

1 minute ago, Carter said:

Oh and among other things we had a blow up about, my dad was trying to argue with me that teachers unions are the real problem with US education and also No Child Left Behind was all Ted Kennedy’s fault and Dubya’s only failing there was trying to reach across the aisle to work with him.

I was already salty af when I came here 😑

My dad made similar comments about teachers and teacher unions.

He stopped making those comments when I met my GF because she laid some of it out for him.

5 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Can someone tell me when the last time a couple of moderates kept the GOP from pushing their agenda through? 

In 2001 Republicans didn’t like what Parliamentarian Robert Dove said about Bush tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy so they fired him and passed the tax cuts.

9 minutes ago, Sponge said:

No idea if there’s still a welding shortage, but a few years ago I heard about people getting a welding license/certification and making around $80-90k.  And that doesn’t require a college degree.  

I still support a $15 minimum wage, by the way.  I’m just saying that there are good jobs out there.  I have a former student who is making $95k starting salary as a windmill safety inspector.  She only has an undergrad degree and makes a lot more than I do.  

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

There is.

Alot of jobs have been lost but there are some areas that have had shortages for a long time.

Right now the mortgage industry can't find enough bodies to handle the volume.

Alot of people are happy sitting home collecting unemployment. Most times when I make comments about this stuff people who work high end jobs try to argue me down like they're really experiencing this stuff first hand or have ever had to experience it.

There's no reason the unemployment rate should be what it is in some places. Even with business closures, there's still more to offer. People just have to go out and get it. 

Just now, Sponge said:

I'm probably gonna catch **** for this but I feel today's face-in-your-phone generation lacks the work ethic of past generations.

You shouldn't catch **** for it because it's true. Like I just said in my last post, most people who argue against that type of statement are people who don't see it

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread