Jump to content

The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

By the way, about the talk of pressuring Joe Manchin, Trump won that state with 68% of the vote.  I don’t think Manchin is the one they need to be pressuring on more progressive policies.  They should be pressuring Pat Toomey (PA), Susan Collins, and other Republicans in blue states.  That seems more fruitful to me than trying to get a Democrat who represents a state that Trump won overwhelming to go farther left.

Pat Toomey isn't running again so he's more of a free agent.  He needs convincing more than pressuring.

And Collins just won her seat back so pretty much the same applies for her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

Yep, but it would definitely be a gamble.  I’m not convinced yet that Dems will gain a Senate seat in 2022, and they very well could lose the House just on redistricting alone.  But if $11 (for some reason I thought they were talking about $12) is all they can get now, then get it and press on with more of their agenda until they have the votes for $15.

I still wonder if they couldn’t pick up support for $15 from one of the blue-state Republicans, though.  It wouldn’t be easy, but it seems like a better opportunity than trying to force Manchin to support it.

Sinema/Manchin are at 11. Who knows if they would agree to more, but Biden has already signaled that he is dropping it completely.

I am not convinced that they will either, because they keep folding instead of pushing through. Some of this is on Manchin and Sinema digging their heels, but Biden also deserves some blame for digging his heels against Student loan cancelation. If the elections were next week, what could dems point to to say they deserve a larger majority.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HolyMoses said:

Pat Toomey isn't running again so he's more of a free agent.  He needs convincing more than pressuring.

And Collins just won her seat back so pretty much the same applies for her.

Right, but Toomey’s seat is up in 2022 even though he’s not running so the GOP will still face some pressure on the issue.  Murkowski is a possibility, but Trump won Alaska by a lot so it’s not the same situation with her.  And Ron Johnson in WI is a whackjob, so he’s not going to care whether it’s popular in his state or not.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Sinema/Manchin are at 11. Who knows if they would agree to more, but Biden has already signaled that he is dropping it completely.

I am not convinced that they will either, because they keep folding instead of pushing through. Some of this is on Manchin and Sinema digging their heels, but Biden also deserves some blame for digging his heels against Student loan cancelation. If the elections were next week, what could dems point to to say they deserve a larger majority.  

 

The bolded part...are you saying that Biden is dropping the minimum wage completely or just the $15 part?  

And even if they passed a $15 minimum wage and student loan forgiveness, I’m not sure Dems keep the majority in 2022.  The Senate map just isn’t as favorable for them as a lot of commentators seem to think.  And the House is especially perilous not just because of the narrow Dem majority and traditional midterm losses but also because of all the states where the GOP controls redistricting.  Just looking at things right now, I’m not sure that there’s a whole lot the Dems can do to hold on to the majority.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Let's refrain from attacking each other in professional capacities.  I ask that selfishly knowing that at any given moment some TATF chud lurking here would just love to make a crack at me about being a slimy lawyer.

You're joking of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

 

To recap, they kicked out the guy who belongs to an Anti-Semitic, white nationalist death cult who thinks Hillary and Huma filmed themselves skinning the face off of a baby, but you can still come to CPAC if you just keep it at "holding Hillary accountable," whatever the **** that means.

Also, liberal and leftist beefs aside, let's never forget that an ever growing army of Anti-Semitic white nationalist death cult members want to murder most of us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

To recap, they kicked out the guy who belongs to an Anti-Semitic, white nationalist death cult who thinks Hillary and Huma filmed themselves skinning the face off of a baby, but you can still come to CPAC if you just keep it at "holding Hillary accountable," whatever the **** that means.

Also, liberal and leftist beefs aside, let's never forget that an ever growing army of Anti-Semitic white nationalist death cult members want to murder most of us.

And Democrats are still going to lose miserably to them because, much like the Falcons with a lead, it's just who they are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

 

And even if they passed a $15 minimum wage and student loan forgiveness, I’m not sure Dems keep the majority in 2022.  

 

(1) but maybe they would!, and (2) in any event, if they did those things we'd have a $15 minimum wage and student loan forgiveness, which is good regardless of who comes in next. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

 

(1) but maybe they would!, and (2) in any event, if they did those things we'd have a $15 minimum wage and student loan forgiveness, which is good regardless of who comes in next. 

(1) Maybe, but maybe not.  The outlook isn’t great for them in 2022 (at this point in time).  (2) I agree with you completely.  That would be my preferred outcome.  And the fact that they might lose control in 2022 is reason enough to get everything they can get now.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

I mean, that is the argument for it. If you think they're going to lose regardless, then push through as much radical good **** as possible now, and force republicans in the next congress into the uncomfortable position of trying to turn back immensely popular things.

That’s always been my perspective on it.  They should know that they only have two years to pass what they want.  Get what they can now, especially since these policies are very popular.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Let's refrain from attacking each other in professional capacities.  I ask that selfishly knowing that at any given moment some TATF chud lurking here would just love to make a crack at me about being a slimy lawyer.

No way you're a smily lawyer!  You're M.R. Hoopah!, Esq.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Even in the minority, I halfway expect McConnell to find a way to pass another round of billionaire tax cuts or sum**** because that's how much better they are at this sordid game than the Democrats. 

The Democrats are great at the game. They’re just not playing for your side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

It seems like the GOP never gives a dusty f**k about losing the majority or what the moderates will do when they are pushing through their agenda. 

Culture war ******** works well enough on their constituents that they don't need the majority as long as they have their voters. It really only hurts the Democrats, because they're the ones that are gonna lose votes based on both the culture war ******** and what policies they can and can't pass when they have any power at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

It seems like the GOP never gives a dusty f**k about losing the majority or what the moderates will do when they are pushing through their agenda. 

The Democrats and Republicans have essentially the same agenda (at least the members of Congress), it's just that Democrats pretend they want certain progressive things during election season. They toss out a few bones to give the impression of trying and give a socially liberal spin for people to focus on.

Until enough people understand it's rich vs poor and not red vs blue, this country isn't changing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...