The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

Tyson was remembered by my generation as a greater fighter than he really was. Mostly because we remember him on HBO knocking out marginal opponents on a near monthly basis. But looking back, his biggest wins were against an undersized Micheal Spinks, and a way past his prime Larry Holmes. 

Tyson was a fearsome puncher with bully's attitude, but the ones that kept moving toward him like Douglas and Holyfield would get him to break. 

Tyson was a cultural icon to my generation, but he wasn't an all time great fighter. 

7 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Tyson was remembered by my generation as a greater fighter than he really was. Mostly because we remember him on HBO knocking out marginal opponents on a near monthly basis. But looking back, his biggest wins were against an undersized Micheal Spinks, and a way past his prime Larry Holmes. 

Tyson was a fearsome puncher with bully's attitude, but the ones that kept moving toward him like Douglas and Holyfield would get him to break. 

Tyson was a cultural icon to my generation, but he wasn't an all time great fighter. 

The guy who was heavyweight champion at the age of 20 isn't an all time great fighter?  I love you, but this is ridiculous.   Both Douglas (he didn't train for that fight) and Holyfield came after Cus was in the ground.  Tyson was a different fighter.

5 minutes ago, Baby Dik Dik said:

The guy who was heavyweight champion at the age of 20 isn't an all time great fighter?  I love you, but this is ridiculous.   Both Douglas (he didn't train for that fight) and Holyfield came after Cus was in the ground.  Tyson was a different fighter.

All time great fighters don't get knocked out in their prime by the likes of Buster Douglas. Tyson was a different fighter in that he produced a lot of fearsome knockouts that stoked his legend, but he also had a lot of baggage and wasn't as mentally tough as he should have been. 

Whenever anyone took him into the deep water, he folded.

Just now, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

All time great fighters don't get knocked out in their prime by the likes of Buster Douglas. Tyson was a different fighter in that he produced a lot of fearsome knockouts that stoked his legend, but he also had a lot of baggage and wasn't as mentally tough as he should have been. 

Whenever anyone took him into the deep water, he folded.

You are talking about post-Cus Mike.  I'm talking about the other one, the one who literally destroyed everyone and everything in his path.  You couldn't take him to the deep water.  ****, you could barely get him off the steps leading into the pool.  He was too fast, too powerful and he was an incredibly smart boxer.  I mean this when I say it, no one in the world could stop him.  The guy who showed up after prison was a completely different fighter.  Turns out, the only person who could stop Mike Tyson was Mike Tyson.

Why do you think he was such a big draw after his stint in prison?  Because millions of people like me were tuning in, hoping to see the fighter he once was.  We never did.  Instead he started biting ears and getting his face inked.  That's another story. 

We will never know how great he could have been.  But what we do know is that for a few years he was one of the greatest boxers anyone had ever seen. 

13 minutes ago, Baby Dik Dik said:

You are talking about post-Cus Mike.  I'm talking about the other one, the one who literally destroyed everyone and everything in his path.  You couldn't take him to the deep water.  ****, you could barely get him off the steps leading into the pool.  He was too fast, too powerful and he was an incredibly smart boxer.  I mean this when I say it, no one in the world could stop him.  The guy who showed up after prison was a completely different fighter.  Turns out, the only person who could stop Mike Tyson was Mike Tyson.

Why do you think he was such a big draw after his stint in prison?  Because millions of people like me were tuning in, hoping to see the fighter he once was.  We never did.  Instead he started biting ears and getting his face inked.  That's another story. 

We will never know how great he could have been.  But what we do know is that for a few years he was one of the greatest boxers anyone had ever seen. 

Cus died in 1985. A whole year before Tyson became champ. 

I agree that he probably could have been much better if he were able to keep Cus and Kevin Rooney in his corner, but Cus also covered up a lot of mental and emotional issues that plagued Tyson for most of his life. Tyson was fortunate to come along when heavyweight boxing was in decline. His road to the heavyweight title ran though the likes of Pinklon Thomas, Tony Tubbs, and Trevor Berbick. 

He just wasn't as great as most people want to remember him. Certainly not on a plane with Ali, Louis, Foreman.

2 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

but Cus also covered up a lot of mental and emotional issues that plagued Tyson for most of his life.

I mean, that's my entire argument.  I'll put it this way.  If Michael Jackson died after recording Off The Wall and Thriller I would still consider him one of the greatest musicians/performers I've ever seen.  I can separate that Michael with the one who identified as a white person and liked sleeping with children.

And you're right about the timeline, but your correction furthers my point, imo.  The further Tyson got away from those influences, the worse he got.  Getting rocked by Douglas was the final nail in that coffin.  If he retired before that fight I don't think we'd be having this conversation.

11 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

@DonOfThemBirds I see Micah Parsons gonna get caught up too 😂. These young boys. Good times. Good times

Forget being thirsty. Dat boy dehydrated.

Need to bring back the rookie symposium.

Jerry Jones might be the most understanding owner when it comes to these situations 😆

1 hour ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

My favorite anniversary in baseball 

Robin Ventura is the only batter to get 6 hits off Nolan Ryan in one inning. 

on a side note, hope you and the family make it out your Covid ordeal unscathed. 

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread