The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

25 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

11 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

A new, devastating covid-19 impact may be coming soon: a wave of evictions after a federal eviction moratorium expired at the end of July.

Democrats are pointing fingers: progressive lawmakers have criticized conservative Democrats and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), while Ms. Pelosi blames the Biden administration and Republicans. In truth, this is not the administration’s fault, nor is it Congress’s. Washington has provided money. States are just failing to distribute it, a bureaucratic disaster that will squeeze landlords and commit perhaps millions of renters to extreme financial hardship, even homelessness.

The eviction moratorium was a desperate, humane measure the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention imposed in September on shaky legal authority. The Supreme Court upheld it only through the end of last month. Mr. Biden announced Monday that “our team is redoubling efforts to identify all available legal authorities to provide necessary protections,” but neither he nor the CDC can ignore clear instructions from the nation’s highest court. Meanwhile, some 6.5 million households owe back rent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/08/02/theres-plenty-money-avoid-evictions-states-just-have-spend-it/

Seems like now after significant pressure that caused movement the Federal government should maybe do something to get the money moving.

Time was bought and what happens during that time is on Dems now. Fair or not.......it's on them. Crazy idea......flood the market with direct messaging in the communities where it would do the most good.

Put pressure on the states. Flood the airwaves. Put people on the ground. ******* do something.

I'm sorry.....I'm just the President of The United States and I can't help you Kentucky................feels like a bad message.

2 hours ago, Southern California Liar said:

Seems like now after significant pressure that caused movement the Federal government should maybe do something to get the money moving.

Time was bought and what happens during that time is on Dems now. Fair or not.......it's on them. Crazy idea......flood the market with direct messaging in the communities where it would do the most good.

Put pressure on the states. Flood the airwaves. Put people on the ground. ******* do something.

I'm sorry.....I'm just the President of The United States and I can't help you Kentucky................feels like a bad message.

I hear you, I do.  But think about all of the other things that he’s also being pressured to do simultaneously.  There’s a finite amount of public messaging that a president can do at any one time.  So is this specific issue the one you want to invest in and what other priorities will need to give way?  There’s a danger in treating every single thing as the most important issue.  

There’s also the question — are we now going to govern by executive fiat on things we know the SCOTUS is likely to overturn and using the courts to create delays in reversing unconstitutional policies?  That’s basically a recipe for the president’s party to enact an unconstitutional agenda for years until things go through the courts and get overturned.  I’m not comfortable with that kind of governing strategy.  Imagine a GOP president unconstitutionally banning abortion knowing that it will be years (and probably after the next election) before it’s overturned by the courts.  Or any other rightwing policy like that.  

The biggest problem we have is with the current f’ed up system of government we have.  We’ve got to fix the system so that we can have a functional democracy instead of trying to slap bandaids on gaping wounds.  

I’m happy that people will get relief and we won’t face a housing crisis.  I’m very happy about that.  But I don’t think the ends justify the means and we’ve got to start thinking more long term about our system of government instead of careening from one policy crisis to the next using ad hoc and probably unconstitutional means to fix those problems.  

Last thought — I’ve long been critical of the overuse of executive orders and other extra-constitutional means of passing policies, even popular ones.  We saw the dangers of that with Trump and now we’re seeing it with the open authoritarianism of the GOP.  Without both sidesing this thing, the reality is that the current system of separation of powers creates a situation where the public expects the president to act boldly even though the Constitution limits the president’s ability to address the public demands.  When the opposite party controls Congress, they have an incentive to keep the president from doing what the public wants and then blaming him for the lack of action.  The president then has the incentive to use these extra-constitutional means like executive orders to meet the public demands in order to stay in power.  Both sides have been doing that for decades.  And that situation — polarized political parties combined with separation of powers that creates dysfunction and gridlock — is one of the best predictors of a slide into authoritarianism.  And that, for me, is the biggest threat we’re facing in this country.  This action to address a real crisis (evictions) through likely unconstitutional means might result in the public good this time.  But in the hands of someone like Trump and the current GOP, that quickly becomes an authoritarian power grab that destroys American democracy.  

10 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Anytime I want to feel like an idiot I just watch stuff like this

And then I realize how much this makes me laugh and I remember that I am indeed an idiot.

I love that video 👀

It's so ****ing weirdly choreographed. I specifically member lighting up at Sanford Hall and watching it on someone's laptop. It's weird to think that they surely were filming this without actual music 

Good song tho

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread