The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

5 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

My Dad was a UAW member and told me that unions are 50% good and 50% BS! 

From that, I have learned that 50 is better than 0%, with my own work experiences. Lol

I have always been pro-union. My first job in a union shop was my last job and I had no problem with the union, even though it was frustrating at times. The thing with a union is that you don't have fine lines or gray areas like you do in non-union shops. In a non-union warehouse, you can go with trends and a preponderence of evidence to decide whether somebody keeps his job, gets written up or a slap on the wrist. In a union shop, if it ain't in the contract, it ain't a thing. It made me a better manager.

For example, when I started out, a typical labor report might state "On Friday, January 19, 2011, Evan drove his Raymond reach truck into a section of rack (22C) while trying to put away a pallet of CU3 photocopier parts, damaging the rack. Subsequent inspection revealed that his forks were too low and lifted the rack out of place."

The union would sit through the write up and start whispering. Then they'd come back with "The pallet had assorted parts on it but the CU3 product was supplies. And Evan's forklift had previous mechanical problems that we reported but never got taken care of. We reject this report."

My boss would give me the evil eye and we'd have to rewrite the report and go through the whole dog and pony show again. By the time I left, my labor reports would say "On Friday, January 19, 2011, Evan damaged rack 22C with his forklift." Screw all of those details. They'd stare hard but couldn't find a way out of it.

To survive in a union environment, you need to know the contract and that any deviation from it is a ticket to ride out of disciplinary action.

9 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

WFW that's who. Sell me on some Russian collusion, the "call" and whatever other BS your sundowning Gramps brain can think of sir.

Other than that have a great day old-timer.

Russian collusion is so far down on the list of his crimes that it's no longer worthy of discussion. Just ask the 10 or 12 high level appointees by him that have been arrested so far.  The charges to come out on him is inevitable so be ready for some wild times on here from me. :tiphat:

11 minutes ago, Big_Dog said:

This week an Atlanta police sgt had a female on the ground and handcuffed. She raised up her head an spit on his pants and shoes. He drew his leg back and kicked her directly in her face. Suspension isn't enough. Lift his certification. 

We had a cop in Columbus (Ohio) who kicked a handcuffed suspect in the face. He wasn't even the arresting officer. Our police chief reccomended a one-day suspension but was overruled by the city safety director and they cop was fired. FOP took the case to arbitration and he got his job back with a one-day suspension and a year of back pay. A lot of people were heated and couldn't understand it.

As it turns out, Columbus has a contract with its cops that requires arbitrators to place a level of discipline at or beneath previously issued corrective action. So, since cops had been slapped on the wrist and suspended for a day after kicking suspects previously, the city had no right to give this pig harsher discipline. And Columbus cops have been slapped on the wrist so many times now that there's next to nothing that can result in termination.

And the chief had spent years in meetings at community centers with her leadership team, trying to get citizens to trust her and give her officers a fair shot to help resolve problems. After that, she never met with them again.

6 hours ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

So if Biles would have kept competing, the US team probably doesn't medal and the same people calling her a quitter that let her team down today would instead be calling her a choker who let her team down. 

If Biles is not 100% there mentally, she could easily paralyze herself trying the **** she does.  Right wing jabronis have no idea just how insanely dangerous it is for her to be doing what she's doing, even when she is 100%.

5 minutes ago, Big_Dog said:

Russian collusion is so far down on the list of his crimes that it's no longer worthy of discussion. Just ask the 10 or 12 high level appointees by him that have been arrested so far.  The charges to come out on him is inevitable so be ready for some wild times on here from me. :tiphat:

Garland isn't going to investigate or charge Trump. He's an institutionalist who thinks that exposing Dum Dum Donald would inevitably shine a negative light on his predecessor and the DoJ. He'll leave Trump alone in order to protect his agency.

1 hour ago, Door Gunner said:

I was dead set against them (**** Commies) when I was younger, but as I got older my experience with unions has mostly been positive in my life, that and my work experience without them changed my mind about them. That and a whole load of other s*** has changed my mind about a bunch of stuff.  

Same. Then as I got older I realized how employers really treat their workers. 

15 minutes ago, lostone said:

Come get yo people WFW… they are droppin like flies

Remember when he said Trump was gonna win and Democrats would be going on and on about conspiracy theories about why they lost for months and months? Or when he said Republicans were gonna move on and nobody was gonna be talking about stolen elections much longer somewhere around mid December of 2020?

How did those work out?

2 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

I lean towards that, but the only thing stopping me is that Warnock and even Ossoff aren't actually terrible. Warnock will probably get my vote, but I'll skip 2024. 

See, I'm torn to a certain extent. Kelly has largely been great. But, I realize that the dems are a team. Kelly should be motivating Sinema. And if he isn't, why isn't he?

3 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Is there a reason that Republicans always dig in hard on issues that are sure to result in death? War. Covid. Gun rights. Sheltering cops from liability. Healthcare. Even abortions, knowing that outlawing them will result in multiple life crises for women and children. Only here, he's making sure his own voters are going to be the ones dying. Kudos for that, I guess.

3 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

8lih9s2ojtf41.jpg?auto=webp&s=65126a40cb

2 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

I have always been pro-union. My first job in a union shop was my last job and I had no problem with the union, even though it was frustrating at times. The thing with a union is that you don't have fine lines or gray areas like you do in non-union shops. In a non-union warehouse, you can go with trends and a preponderence of evidence to decide whether somebody keeps his job, gets written up or a slap on the wrist. In a union shop, if it ain't in the contract, it ain't a thing. It made me a better manager.

For example, when I started out, a typical labor report might state "On Friday, January 19, 2011, Evan drove his Raymond reach truck into a section of rack (22C) while trying to put away a pallet of CU3 photocopier parts, damaging the rack. Subsequent inspection revealed that his forks were too low and lifted the rack out of place."

The union would sit through the write up and start whispering. Then they'd come back with "The pallet had assorted parts on it but the CU3 product was supplies. And Evan's forklift had previous mechanical problems that we reported but never got taken care of. We reject this report."

My boss would give me the evil eye and we'd have to rewrite the report and go through the whole dog and pony show again. By the time I left, my labor reports would say "On Friday, January 19, 2011, Evan damaged rack 22C with his forklift." Screw all of those details. They'd stare hard but couldn't find a way out of it.

To survive in a union environment, you need to know the contract and that any deviation from it is a ticket to ride out of disciplinary action.

I remember my Dad telling me about stories like that when the new guys came in and did Silly $hit! Lol

That and when management would ask his team to do other stuff that was out of bounds. 

Oh and plus the contract included wages that were more in line with life.

I will NEVER forget how they were hiring folks for the same job he was doing for over 10 dollars less an hour than he was making. (They didn’t mess with his salary because he was 25+ Years in already). And they are STILL starting at that wage today, and that was twenty years ago!

5 minutes ago, Southern California Liar said:

Its kinda weird how often I see opinions that aren't far off of the original tweet.

I don’t think this is right, but….

If insurance companies want to start denying claims for “preventable illness” for those who didn’t get it, who am I to stand in their way??? :shrug:

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread