The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

13 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Can a vaccinated asymptomatic person still shed the virus, and does whether it's Delta or another strain affect that? 

Like I said, I've gone back to wearing my mask when I go in the toddler's daycare, and I still wear it in nearly every store. 

They can obviously still shed at the least dead virus in sufficient quantity to create a positive test. What still isn't known is how contagious those vaccinated people are. 

Delta is showing a higher viral load and that's probably what is responsible for more vaccinated people testing positive, but still the incredibly vast number of those show at the most mild symptoms. 

58 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

From Punchbowl News, which if you don’t know is a (free) morning email rundown of what’s going on in D.C. politics.  It’s pretty straightforward from what I’ve seen the last few weeks…

Yet to be candid, McCarthy has been outmaneuvered by Pelosi on this issue since the speaker first floated the idea in mid-February of bipartisan commission to investigate the Jan. 6 insurrection. Part of the reason for this is structural, and part is political.

McCarthy is playing a terrible hand here. He’s trapped politically between the Democrats and former President Donald Trump. Democrats want someone to pay for Jan. 6, and not just the Trump supporters who viciously attacked the U.S. Capitol Police and illegally entered the building. And Trump, as is clear from his Arizona rally over the weekend, is still claiming the election was stolen from him, which is the same false assertion he used to foment the Jan. 6 attack. McCarthy needs Trump heading into 2022 elections -- or at least he needs Trump not going after vulnerable House Republicans -- so McCarthy has to stay loyal to the former president. It’s a lose-lose for McCarthy. 

Pelosi has a big advantage. Senate Republicans blocked a bipartisan commission after the House passed it. The House then passed a resolution creating a select committee. This allows Pelosi to do what she wants pretty much. And like the Trump impeachment proceedings, Pelosi is running things. She handpicked the chair and members. Her office announced the first hearing. Her office announced the panel’s staff. This will unfold as she sees fit. 

So the Jan. 6 select committee hearings will start on Tuesday. The first hearing features four officers from the U.S. Capitol Police and Metropolitan Police Department describing what they saw happen to their colleagues that day at the hands of Trump supporters. It’s made-to-order for TV, and there won’t be anyone on the dais defending Trump, McCarthy or the GOP leadership. It’s about as bad for McCarthy and the Republicans as it can get. Now, it may not mean anything in 2022. Republicans may very well retake the House; in fact, they’re favored to do so. But it’s still a bad look for them.

jesus who gives a ****

Social media is one of the biggest threats to humanity…

In May, several French and German social media influencers received a strange proposal.

A London-based public relations agency wanted to pay them to promote messages on behalf of a client. A polished three-page document detailed what to say and on which platforms to say it.

But it asked the influencers to push not beauty products or vacation packages, as is typical, but falsehoods tarring Pfizer-BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine. Stranger still, the agency, Fazze, claimed a London address where there is no evidence any such company exists.

Some recipients posted screenshots of the offer. Exposed, Fazze scrubbed its social media accounts. That same week, Brazilian and Indian influencers posted videos echoing Fazze’s script to hundreds of thousands of viewers.

The scheme appears to be part of a secretive industry that security analysts and American officials say is exploding in scale: disinformation for hire.

Private firms, straddling traditional marketing and the shadow world of geopolitical influence operations, are selling services once conducted principally by intelligence agencies.

They sow discord, meddle in elections, seed false narratives and push viral conspiracies, mostly on social media. And they offer clients something precious: deniability.

“Disinfo-for-hire actors being employed by government or government-adjacent actors is growing and serious,” said Graham Brookie, director of the Atlantic Council’s Digital Forensic Research Lab, calling it “a boom industry.”

Similar campaigns have been recently found promoting India’s ruling party, Egyptian foreign policy aims and political figures in Bolivia and Venezuela.

Mr. Brookie’s organization tracked one operating amid a mayoral race in Serra, a small city in Brazil. An ideologically promiscuous Ukrainian firm boosted several competing political parties.

1 hour ago, Leon Troutsky said:

From Punchbowl News, which if you don’t know is a (free) morning email rundown of what’s going on in D.C. politics.  It’s pretty straightforward from what I’ve seen the last few weeks…

Yet to be candid, McCarthy has been outmaneuvered by Pelosi on this issue since the speaker first floated the idea in mid-February of bipartisan commission to investigate the Jan. 6 insurrection. Part of the reason for this is structural, and part is political.

McCarthy is playing a terrible hand here. He’s trapped politically between the Democrats and former President Donald Trump. Democrats want someone to pay for Jan. 6, and not just the Trump supporters who viciously attacked the U.S. Capitol Police and illegally entered the building. And Trump, as is clear from his Arizona rally over the weekend, is still claiming the election was stolen from him, which is the same false assertion he used to foment the Jan. 6 attack. McCarthy needs Trump heading into 2022 elections -- or at least he needs Trump not going after vulnerable House Republicans -- so McCarthy has to stay loyal to the former president. It’s a lose-lose for McCarthy. 

Pelosi has a big advantage. Senate Republicans blocked a bipartisan commission after the House passed it. The House then passed a resolution creating a select committee. This allows Pelosi to do what she wants pretty much. And like the Trump impeachment proceedings, Pelosi is running things. She handpicked the chair and members. Her office announced the first hearing. Her office announced the panel’s staff. This will unfold as she sees fit. 

So the Jan. 6 select committee hearings will start on Tuesday. The first hearing features four officers from the U.S. Capitol Police and Metropolitan Police Department describing what they saw happen to their colleagues that day at the hands of Trump supporters. It’s made-to-order for TV, and there won’t be anyone on the dais defending Trump, McCarthy or the GOP leadership. It’s about as bad for McCarthy and the Republicans as it can get. Now, it may not mean anything in 2022. Republicans may very well retake the House; in fact, they’re favored to do so. But it’s still a bad look for them.

That's an adorable way to look at it. I mean sure, McCarthy's got a terrible hand, between the Democrats desperately needed Republican ***** to nail and Trump/the rest of the party standing firm that the Democrats should eat ****. All the pressure's on him, now!

7 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

On one hand ...it is incredibly amusing that people are this creative.

On the other...it is pretty scary because it just takes one nut job to be a pretend "patriot" to try and blow something up.

41 minutes ago, Serge said:

That's an adorable way to look at it. I mean sure, McCarthy's got a terrible hand, between the Democrats desperately needed Republican ***** to nail and Trump/the rest of the party standing firm that the Democrats should eat ****. All the pressure's on him, now!

I’m sure you’ll be telling us soon how all of this is part of Trump playing the lib’rul media yet again and how it’s going to sweep him to victory in 2024.  :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I was assured by #Resistance grifters that Gaetz was going to be indicted any time during July.

Move that date!  Me and you would be under the jail already though.

10 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I’m sure you’ll be telling us soon how all of this is part of Trump playing the lib’rul media yet again and how it’s going to sweep him to victory in 2024.  :rolleyes:

You spend more time talking about what I'll be saying someday than talking about what I'm saying in the present.

You've said yourself, Pelosi's initial offer for a bipartisan commission was practically designed to let the Republicans obstruct the investigation. But when McCarthy turned that down, and then rejected the select committee when Pelosi wouldn't take his naked obstructionists, liberals interpreted that to be a decisive victory in how the investigation would be conducted, as if an unimpeded investigation was the goal and its progress is a victory that will last long after its conclusion. In other words, they don't ******* learn anything because they'll never be able to see themselves as conspiracy theorists. 

Earlier in the process, liberal media wouldn't explain to liberals that Republicans would resist any sort of 1/6 commission because it puts all the pressure on the Democrats to prove the implications being made by liberals and the media in holding Republicans morally responsible for 1/6. That isn't the kind of thing liberal media would explain to liberals, because it'd be giving away the game if they started it off by explaining why liberals shouldn't get too excited about where the investigation might lead simply based on how Republicans are reacting.  

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread