The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

After being handed a semi-automatic rifle as a present at a rally earlier this month, Donald Trump ally and former general Michael Flynn joked "maybe I'll find somebody in Washington, D.C."

Flynn was speaking at the Church of Glad Tidings in Yuba, California on July 16. Jason Parker, vice president of rifle manufacturer Cobalt Kinetics, who also spoke at the event, was giving Flynn a gun as a gift.

On 7/24/2021 at 7:52 PM, Southern California Liar said:

Isn't this the dude you were quoting the other day @Leon Troutsky

I’d also add that studies do show that organizing typically overcomes the impact of restrictive voter ID laws, so there tends to not be a net impact on turnout for any of the major groups (minorities, Dems, etc).  But that’s not the case for gerrymandering, as Shor notes.  

19 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

****. I remember when Carlin Isles first joined USA Rugby 7s because he wasn't fast enough to make it to the olympics as a runner. Great win by USA Rugby. 

And his tackling has tremendously improved. At this level of rugby sevens, one missed tackle almost always means a score for the attacking team. 

On 7/23/2021 at 6:01 PM, Southern California Liar said:

I've never broken a bone but it feels like the kind of thing you would know. I'm gonna be yelling OH MY GOD ITS BROKEN and yelling at the emt's GIVE ME THE MORPHINE!!!!!!!!! and everyone around me is gonna think yeah he broke something.

You generally know when something breaks. Generally.

My daughter fell on her scooter when she was 6, caught herself with her hands on the way down. Played the rest of the day, came in just fine, got her ready for bed, and when I put lotion on her arm she sorta pulled back. I asked what happened, she told me, but said it was fine.

She had field day the next day, had a blast. Following day was the Daddy Daughter dance, she was cool. A week later, I was getting her ready for bed, and she sorta winced when I put lotion on her arm. Decided to take her in for an X ray "just to be sure", and they confirmed that she broke her arm when she fell... She rolled for a week with a broken arm...

Every time I've broken something, I knew right away. I've broken both ankles twice, broken my hand, and had a broken rib. Each time, I was absolutely sure of it when it happened...

From Punchbowl News, which if you don’t know is a (free) morning email rundown of what’s going on in D.C. politics.  It’s pretty straightforward from what I’ve seen the last few weeks…

Yet to be candid, McCarthy has been outmaneuvered by Pelosi on this issue since the speaker first floated the idea in mid-February of bipartisan commission to investigate the Jan. 6 insurrection. Part of the reason for this is structural, and part is political.

McCarthy is playing a terrible hand here. He’s trapped politically between the Democrats and former President Donald Trump. Democrats want someone to pay for Jan. 6, and not just the Trump supporters who viciously attacked the U.S. Capitol Police and illegally entered the building. And Trump, as is clear from his Arizona rally over the weekend, is still claiming the election was stolen from him, which is the same false assertion he used to foment the Jan. 6 attack. McCarthy needs Trump heading into 2022 elections -- or at least he needs Trump not going after vulnerable House Republicans -- so McCarthy has to stay loyal to the former president. It’s a lose-lose for McCarthy. 

Pelosi has a big advantage. Senate Republicans blocked a bipartisan commission after the House passed it. The House then passed a resolution creating a select committee. This allows Pelosi to do what she wants pretty much. And like the Trump impeachment proceedings, Pelosi is running things. She handpicked the chair and members. Her office announced the first hearing. Her office announced the panel’s staff. This will unfold as she sees fit. 

So the Jan. 6 select committee hearings will start on Tuesday. The first hearing features four officers from the U.S. Capitol Police and Metropolitan Police Department describing what they saw happen to their colleagues that day at the hands of Trump supporters. It’s made-to-order for TV, and there won’t be anyone on the dais defending Trump, McCarthy or the GOP leadership. It’s about as bad for McCarthy and the Republicans as it can get. Now, it may not mean anything in 2022. Republicans may very well retake the House; in fact, they’re favored to do so. But it’s still a bad look for them.

1 hour ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Well this isn’t great 

We need to start making the distinction between testing positive and being actually ill with covid. The vaccines prevent severe illness very effectively, but they won't prevent a positive nasal swab. 

Will vaccinated asymptomatic players who are fully vaccinated have to quarantine just like the unvaccinated? It seems like it's an important distinction that needs to be made. 

And I wonder how many of the vaccinated public at large would test positive if they were tested as regularly as athletes. 

11 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

We need to start making the distinction between testing positive and being actually ill with covid. The vaccines prevent severe illness very effectively, but they won't prevent a positive nasal swab. 

Will vaccinated asymptomatic players who are fully vaccinated have to quarantine just like the unvaccinated? It seems like it's an important distinction that needs to be made. 

And I wonder how many of the vaccinated public at large would test positive if they were tested as regularly as athletes. 

Can a vaccinated asymptomatic person still shed the virus, and does whether it's Delta or another strain affect that? 

Like I said, I've gone back to wearing my mask when I go in the toddler's daycare, and I still wear it in nearly every store. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Can a vaccinated asymptomatic person still shed the virus, and does whether it's Delta or another strain affect that? 

Like I said, I've gone back to wearing my mask when I go in the toddler's daycare, and I still wear it in nearly every store. 

Vaccinated asymptomatic folks are much less likely to transmit the virus than unvaccinated folks.  My understanding is that it is possible but very unlikely. Right, Gritz?

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread