The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

11 hours ago, AF89 said:

@WOR I really want to like Mike Bell cause he talks more about Hawks and United more than the next two Atlanta media personalities combined but **** can he have those days where he can be just a real whiny Gen X'r

I published an article about Native American voting behavior several years ago.  The first iteration of the article used “American Indian” and a reviewer got upset because apparently that term was no longer in use at that time.  When revising the article, we changed everything to “Native American” and it went out for review again at the same journal.  Another reviewer complained that “Native American” was now insulting and we should use another term.  I finally asked the editor — I don’t care what term to use, just tell me the appropriate one.  The editor responded for us to use “American Indian” because the name of the journal included the phrase “American Indian”.  Point being that these terms seem to be flux all the time so people shouldn’t speak so definitively about what is and is not acceptable.

Sean Hannity backed away from his seeming embrace of vaccines earlier this week: “I never told anyone to get a vaccine. I have been very clear. I am simply not qualified.”

He added: “I am not a medical doctor. I know nothing about your medical history or your current medical condition. I think it’s inappropriate for me to do so. Instead, for over a year now I have been warning my viewers, you make my career possible.”

:lol:

Montana Senate President Pro Tempore Jason Ellsworth, R-Hamilton, has been charged with three misdemeanors, including obstruction of a peace officer, after he was pulled over for speeding in a construction zone in May. The officer reported a verbal altercation with Ellsworth in which the senator claimed he was exempt from arrest because he was a lawmaker traveling for legislative business.

The charging document says the officer returned to her vehicle to run a check on Ellsworths’ vehicle, which had plates issued from a car dealership, and print him a warning for excessive speed. As described in the complaint, Ellsworth then got out of his vehicle and approached the officer’s car against the trooper’s instructions, and was “mumbling something that could not be understood.”

Indicating that he had pulled up the Montana Constitution on his phone, Ellsworth then told the officer that he needed to be released, citing a provision that exempts legislators from arrest “during attendance at sessions of the Legislature and in going to and returning therefrom.” 

The 67th Legislature adjourned April 29, roughly a month before Ellsworth was pulled over.

3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I work with a girl that's taking full advantage of FMLA. She's supposed to be taking care of a sick relative but that's not the truth. She goes around telling everyone her plot, which I'm surprised no one has told on her yet because she tells anyone that will listen. 

HR told us to stay as far away from it as we could. I would track usage and nail them if they violated company rules or the word of law, but once they got it, the company determined they were entitled to use it without question.

They tried all sorts of stuff. One forklift operator who had FMLA for gout(!) told me he was leaving because of a sore back. He could have told me it was because of his allowed condition, but he wanted to get paid this time. Keep in mind, this guy was actually a machine technician who was paid at a rate that was $2 higher than regular forklift operators. Because of his allowed condition, we were required to provide reasonable accomodations, so he became our highest paid (and lowest producing) forklift driver. I asked him if he did anything on his forklift to hurt himself and he said that he had not.

I asked that question because he'd burned us once before for a bogus worker's comp claim. His doctor called me about an hour later to inform me that he needed information to complete his WC claim. I talked to my boss, documented everything and he was eventually fired because he had used too many hours for his gout FMLA and the days that he missed due to his back exceeded our absence policy. I was ruthless when I smelled blood in the water.

About six months later, I was watching the local news and they broadcast live from one of the station's job fairs, and I saw him standing by an interviewer with a suit and a huge grin on his face, looking for a job. He told them that he had experience as an electrical engineer, which was a huge lie. I wonder if he landed on his sore swollen feet?

29 minutes ago, Southern California Liar said:

And yet, the same people spewing this **** are fighting tooth and nail to keep statues of William Bedford Forrest, Jefferson Davis and Stonewall Jackson in public spaces. But "no more hate" is their mantra. KMMFA.

4 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

HR told us to stay as far away from it as we could. I would track usage and nail them if they violated company rules or the word of law, but once they got it, the company determined they were entitled to use it without question.

They tried all sorts of stuff. One forklift operator who had FMLA for gout(!) told me he was leaving because of a sore back. He could have told me it was because of his allowed condition, but he wanted to get paid this time. Keep in mind, this guy was actually a machine technician who was paid at a rate that was $2 higher than regular forklift operators. Because of his allowed condition, we were required to provide reasonable accomodations, so he became our highest paid (and lowest producing) forklift driver. I asked him if he did anything on his forklift to hurt himself and he said that he had not.

I asked that question because he'd burned us once before for a bogus worker's comp claim. His doctor called me about an hour later to inform me that he needed information to complete his WC claim. I talked to my boss, documented everything and he was eventually fired because he had used too many hours for his gout FMLA and the days that he missed due to his back exceeded our absence policy. I was ruthless when I smelled blood in the water.

About six months later, I was watching the local news and they broadcast live from one of the station's job fairs, and I saw him standing by an interviewer with a suit and a huge grin on his face, looking for a job. He told them that he had experience as an electrical engineer, which was a huge lie. I wonder if he landed on his sore swollen feet?

Which is why I always say what I say about employees impacting other employees when they want to pull off stunts just to stay out of work. But of course I always get push back here when I make those statements 🤷🏾‍♂️. I got no sympathy for anyone who gets fired for trying to cheat the system. 

6 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Which is why I always say what I say about employees impacting other employees when they want to pull off stunts just to stay out of work. But of course I always get push back here when I make those statements 🤷🏾‍♂️. I got no sympathy for anyone who gets fired for trying to cheat the system. 

I was part owner of a company and worked in two different unions. The worst people I saw were the union people, in that system there are 9 ways to Sunday to cheat the system, and I saw some of the worst employees keep their jobs with backing from the union on what should've been fireable offenses.

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

Our union would come to me and ask what I was doing about it. Not to defend the bums, but because they wanted them gone. The union hated them.

I eventually took early retirement (essentially) because I was working too many seven-day weeks with 10 hour weekdays and 8 hour weekend shifts. The company refused to adjust work processes to adapt to flows; it just accepted OT as being routine. There was legitimate doubt literally every day that we would be able to get all of the work done because they'd still be adding to how much we had to ship until an hour before it was going out the door. My employees had every right to walk out without finishing the job when the buzzer sounded, but out of respect for me, they seldom did and ofter wound up staying 45 minutes late to get the job done.

Going in on Monday mornings after stressful weekend overtime to have two or three people who stayed home due to FMLA complain about overtime that they never worked was grating AF.

Every time I hear about warehouses and factories closing, I wonder about all of the people who complained about their jobs nonstop. How long will it be before they start beefing about their next job and how long will it be before they realize every company doesn't put up with their BS the way we used to?

4 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I was part owner of a company and worked in two different unions. The worst people I saw were the union people, in that system there are 9 ways to Sunday to cheat the system, and I saw some of the worst employees keep their jobs with backing from the union on what should've been fireable offenses.

I see that all the time at our plant. The hardest, best workers that actually care always get the shaft. They tried their best to get me for years but they goofed up when they allowed me to talk to the corporate HR manager. Now they can't touch me since I work for another group but there's a couple who still try

10 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I used to say that the main purpose of unions was to protect bad workers from good companies and good workers from bad companies. I hold to that idea to this day. In addition to 20 other peripheral building-wide responsibilities that weren't in my job description, I handled 90%+ of all disciplinary actions. All the write-ups, suspensions, terminations... even when the employees worked for other supervisors.

But because I saved so many people's jobs thanks to my knowledge of the company and facility, they never bucked up against me. I was their best managerial ally and their worst enemy. I loved that job.

3 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Our union would come to me and ask what I was doing about it. Not to defend the bums, but because they wanted them gone. The union hated them.

I eventually took early retirement (essentially) because I was working too many seven-day weeks with 10 hour weekdays and 8 hour weekend shifts. The company refused to adjust work processes to adapt to flows; it just accepted OT as being routine. There was legitimate doubt literally every day that we would be able to get all of the work done because they'd still be adding to how much we had to ship until an hour before it was going out the door. My employees had every right to walk out without finishing the job when the buzzer sounded, but out of respect for me, they seldom did and ofter wound up staying 45 minutes late to get the job done.

Going in on Monday mornings after stressful weekend overtime to have two or three people who stayed home due to FMLA complain about overtime that they never worked was grating AF.

Every time I hear about warehouses and factories closing, I wonder about all of the people who complained about their jobs nonstop. How long will it be before they start beefing about their next job and how long will it be before they realize every company doesn't put up with their BS the way we used to?

I used to be that guy that went above and beyond when I worked for that other group. Once a supervisor told me how they were plotting on me, I fell back and went into observation mode. Could tell you everything but it would be too much to type on the phone lol. All I can say is that I'm much happier now 

2 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

I used to say that the main purpose of unions was to protect bad workers from good companies and good workers from bad companies. I hold to that idea to this day. In addition to 20 other peripheral building-wide responsibilities that weren't in my job description, I handled 90%+ of all disciplinary actions. All the write-ups, suspensions, terminations... even when the employees worked for other supervisors.

But because I saved so many people's jobs thanks to my knowledge of the company and facility, they never bucked up against me. I was their best managerial ally and their worst enemy. I loved that job.

My view of unions is if you as an employer have to deal with a union, is that you deserve it. If you can’t keep at least 51% of your workers at least partially happy, you should think about how you run your company. 

20 minutes ago, shc said:

My view of unions is if you as an employer have to deal with a union, is that you deserve it. If you can’t keep at least 51% of your workers at least partially happy, you should think about how you run your company. 

I agree. My company knew that it was difficult to work with, so it arranged for employees from a facility that was 60 miles away to certify the union for our startup facility. Not sure how they did it (or if it was really legal), but the union did everything that the company wanted it to do.

Totally screwed over the employees of my facility, who found various ways to express their displeasure. I had a good relationship with most of the employees, including the union team, but the facility manager and union local never got along. He'd call the rep in every other month to read them the riot act, but that just fed their desire to **** both him and the manager off.

Like I said, if it wasn't for my individual relationship with so many of them, I probably wouldn't have lasted a year and I wound up spending nearly 16 years there.

9 hours ago, Southern California Liar said:

Greenwald retweeting this and Posobeic being shameless enough to post this is just ******* hilarious.

Everything that they said, at the time they said it, was absolutely true.  More of Greenwald making s*** up.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread